This phone is only three upgrades behind now

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Nobody is forcing either you or TabGuy to read or participate in threads like these.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.

And yet you participate in every thread after every update complaining about posts nobody forced you to read. Yes, we know.
I knew i was going to get some of these posts.. :p
and you are right. i "fuel the fire" on these posts. (no not all of them)
but what else am i supposed to do but stir up some trouble in the forums on a boring Saturday afternoon in the office :)

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I like threads like these. This issue is why Verizon isn't getting the nexus 4, and probably never getting another nexus device.
But I think it was Google's fault too. Apple was able to pull their weight and put the iPhone on Verizon on their terms. The VZW iPhone has no carrier bloat, and gets updated at the same time as every other iPhone. Why can't Google manage to do this with their nexus line?

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I like threads like these. This issue is why Verizon isn't getting the nexus 4, and probably never getting another nexus device.
But I think it was Google's fault too. Apple was able to pull their weight and put the iPhone on Verizon on their terms. The VZW iPhone has no carrier bloat, and gets updated at the same time as every other iPhone. Why can't Google manage to do this with their nexus line?

I think you make some great points. I also wonder why Google hasn't been able to get contracts similar to what Apple has going.

My g/fs iPhone 5 has received more updates to it in the weeks it has been out than our VZW Nexus have received in the year it has been out.

t_kopta

Feb 7, 2012
Visit site
I guess I will man up and ask the question we have all been wondering....WHO'S GOING TO WATCH NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION!???

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well I'll be watching it.

And the point people make about the iPhone and Verizon is that Verizon basically had to beg for the iPhone, so Apple laid out their terms.
Then people say that nexus devices aren't as high demand as the iPhone, so Verizon doesn't have to beg for it.

But Google owns Motorola, Google makes android OS, and they bring Verizon a lot of business with that. Why can't they flex some muscle and get the nexus 4 on Verizon?

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well I'll be watching it.

And the point people make about the iPhone and Verizon is that Verizon basically had to beg for the iPhone, so Apple laid out their terms.
Then people say that nexus devices aren't as high demand as the iPhone, so Verizon doesn't have to beg for it.

But Google owns Motorola, Google makes android OS, and they bring Verizon a lot of business with that. Why can't they flex some muscle and get the nexus 4 on Verizon?

They can, so far it seems that they have chosen not to.

Let's be honest here, without Google and Android, VZW may not be where they are today with the number of subscribers. It is a symbiotic relationship.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is just another phone that Samsung made and sold to carriers without any real involvement from Google?

This isn't a troll post so don't flame me. I've just been thinking about it and the situation honestly seems like Samsung made a phone for Google and then took the same basic phone and sold it to carriers on their own. That would explain a lot of things. I mean OEM skins are applied by the OEM, So all Samsung had to do was not apply Touch Wiz to their copies. So what if the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a skin? That doesn't necessarily make it a Nexus, that could just mean Samsung chose to leave it off.

The real Galaxy Nexus is free of carrier modifications, but Samsung could have allowed the carriers to make those modifications. Which seems more likely to you? Samsung allowed Verizon to modify the Galaxy Nexus or Google allowed Verizon to modify the Galaxy Nexus?

The real Galaxy Nexus gets it updates directly from Google. Verizon has claimed that Samsung provides them with the updates for their Galaxy Nexus and once Verizon has tested it, they release it. Samsung provides the updates for all of their other devices also. Again, more reason to believe that Google may have had next to no involvement with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

If you look internationally, there are several countries with carriers that offer these sorda Galaxy Nexus devices. I know of someone in Australia that has a carrier branded Galaxy Nexus that is still running ICS. Then you look at the Nexus S that also had more than one model and shares a similar history with certain models. I dunno, to me it seems like Samsung may be to blame for all of this.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the Verizon Galaxy Nexus seems like just another Samsung phone, except without a skin on it. It certainly doesn't seem like a Google phone.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Well the Verizon nexus doesn't even have the Google branding on it because it isn't a true nexus device. (At least that's what I've heard)
But you may be right about Samsung making the decision to produce models of it for other carriers. Maybe Google doesn't officially support or push updates to the Verizon variant. The VZW GNex wasn't even AOSP for the longest time.

Maybe LG will be the ones to make a deal to make a deal to put out a Verizon nexus 4?
Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

mtmjr90

Apr 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm just gonna skip right over the whole "is it a real Nexus debate" (I say it is fwiw) and just say that if I were a GNex owner on Verizon, I would take this opportunity to learn how to unlock the bootloader and flash a new ROM.

In fact, when I was a Verizon GNex owner, that's exactly what I did. It was the first time I ever tinkered and it scared the bajeezus outta me, but I learned. And since it's a Nexus, you pretty much can't screw up too bad because you can restore it all from Google's stock images.

After you've mastered all this and truly learned all the benefits of owning a Nexus, there's no such thing as being "behind." Any version you're on is an active choice you've made.

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
What they should have done is put the 8.3mp camera on it, beefed up the processor, had their own panoramic camera commercial and released it before Christmas last year.

The S3 and the iphone 5 was essentially around last year but they obviously wouldn't support that cause the GNex wouldn't sell.

Or they could have waited, put a quad core, put a better than iphone camera, get a better than retina display, fix the battery outsiders,and released the GNex today along with the nexus 7, 10 etc. now that would have been smart!

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
They should have beefed up those things. It would have been easy for them to do. Evidently Verizon didn't want them too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it Verizon that insisted that their version of the Galaxy Nexus have beefed up storage options of 16gb and 32gb? I wonder if Google was involved in that decision making.

People can laugh, but can anyone offer any proof that Google was involved with all of these models that don't offer the same experience as the actual phone sold by Google? I mean yeah Google allowed Samsung to use the design and they allowed them to use the word nexus in the title, but other than those two things, where is any evidence that Google treats these carrier branded galaxy nexi as a Google phone? Where is the evidence that Google went to Verizon and asked them to sell this phone? Even with all the compromises.

There is a Google Galaxy Nexus and a Samsung Galaxy Nexus if you go to Verizon do they sell the Nexus that came from Google or the one that came from Samsung? Its kinda strange but my receipt says Samsung on it and there is no mention of Google any where. If you go to their website, its the Samsung Galaxy Nexus with no mention of Google anywhere. Its also odd that my updates always came from Samsung and Verizon. Not from Google.

There is an awful lot of evidence that suggests that Samsung just made copies of this device and sold them on their own. Now where is the evidence that Google ever was involved with these versions past giving Samsung permission to do what they did? Honest question.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm just gonna skip right over the whole "is it a real Nexus debate" (I say it is fwiw) and just say that if I were a GNex owner on Verizon, I would take this opportunity to learn how to unlock the bootloader and flash a new ROM.

In fact, when I was a Verizon GNex owner, that's exactly what I did. It was the first time I ever tinkered and it scared the bajeezus outta me, but I learned. And since it's a Nexus, you pretty much can't screw up too bad because you can restore it all from Google's stock images.

After you've mastered all this and truly learned all the benefits of owning a Nexus, there's no such thing as being "behind." Any version you're on is an active choice you've made.

Well it is in the sense that it's completely open and nearly impossible to brick. My first week I flashed the wrong boot.img. I'm just saying it isn't sold by Google, it isn't updated by Google, and the problems they've had dealing with Verizon not pushing updates is why Andy Rubin said they'll never make an LTE Nexus 4.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Can anyone else who is going to start up with the "Verizon's Galaxy Nexus is not a real Nexus" talk please speak up? I've decided to start using the ignore function on you people.

That argument is old and tired and we're all sick of it.

Saiga

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
I didn't mean to upset anyone, honestly. I've just seen a ton of people blaming Verizon for not updating their Galaxy Nexus like a Nexus should be updated and I'm not sure it's Verizon's fault anymore. I just started thinking that maybe we should start to look at the Verizon Galaxy Nexus as just another Samsung phone, and if we do that, we realize that there is no reason to believe that Samsung gives Verizon the updates for testing as soon as Google makes them available. Just because Google updates the Galaxy Nexus, doesn't necessarily mean that Samsung is going to update their phones with it. I'm willing to bet that Samsung is at least as much to blame for this device being 3 upgrades behind as Verizon is. But whatever, everyone continue to bash Verizon for the delays.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I know that the purpose of a forum is a friendly exchange of ideas and opinions. Can someone who believes that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is missing something; please tell me exactly what a real Google Galaxy Nexus can do that my Verizon Galaxy Nexus cannot do.

Something significant, important and worthwhile. Not minutia, something more important then going to About Phone and reading a different version number. Thank you.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I didn't mean to upset anyone, honestly. I've just seen a ton of people blaming Verizon for not updating their Galaxy Nexus like a Nexus should be updated and I'm not sure it's Verizon's fault anymore. I just started thinking that maybe we should start to look at the Verizon Galaxy Nexus as just another Samsung phone, and if we do that, we realize that there is no reason to believe that Samsung gives Verizon the updates for testing as soon as Google makes them available. Just because Google updates the Galaxy Nexus, doesn't necessarily mean that Samsung is going to update their phones with it. I'm willing to bet that Samsung is at least as much to blame for this device being 3 upgrades behind as Verizon is. But whatever, everyone continue to bash Verizon for the delays.

No, if the above were true the phone wouldn't be called a Nexus.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Verizon does get the updates at the same time as every other galaxy nexus. It's just they don't push them out because they have to "test"(edit: I see this as withhold updates so they can push newer phones. Verizon doesn't want a phone that will still be "fresh" for three years). If you have a VZW GNex test device, you'll get the update like a month ahead of everyone else.
There's a guy over at XDA who has one somehow.

I'm not saying it isn't a true nexus. But I am saying that the Sprint and Verizon galaxy nexus isn't what the android developers envisioned.
Also on the play store it was called the Google Galaxy Nexus. On Verizon it's called the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and doesn't say Google on the back, it says Verizon. The Verizon version also costs a couple of hundred more brand new - at least earlier this year this was true, not sure now. Also Google never sold the Verizon or Sprint versions.

I mean I love this phone. I wish Verizon would get more nexus phones in the future. I get service with Verizon where other carriers don't. I just wish Google and Verizon had the same working relationship that Apple has with Verizon.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol