This phone is only three upgrades behind now

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone ever stopped to think that maybe the Samsung Galaxy Nexus is just another phone that Samsung made and sold to carriers without any real involvement from Google?

This isn't a troll post so don't flame me. I've just been thinking about it and the situation honestly seems like Samsung made a phone for Google and then took the same basic phone and sold it to carriers on their own. That would explain a lot of things. I mean OEM skins are applied by the OEM, So all Samsung had to do was not apply Touch Wiz to their copies. So what if the Galaxy Nexus doesn't have a skin? That doesn't necessarily make it a Nexus, that could just mean Samsung chose to leave it off.

The real Galaxy Nexus is free of carrier modifications, but Samsung could have allowed the carriers to make those modifications. Which seems more likely to you? Samsung allowed Verizon to modify the Galaxy Nexus or Google allowed Verizon to modify the Galaxy Nexus?

The real Galaxy Nexus gets it updates directly from Google. Verizon has claimed that Samsung provides them with the updates for their Galaxy Nexus and once Verizon has tested it, they release it. Samsung provides the updates for all of their other devices also. Again, more reason to believe that Google may have had next to no involvement with the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.

If you look internationally, there are several countries with carriers that offer these sorda Galaxy Nexus devices. I know of someone in Australia that has a carrier branded Galaxy Nexus that is still running ICS. Then you look at the Nexus S that also had more than one model and shares a similar history with certain models. I dunno, to me it seems like Samsung may be to blame for all of this.

Maybe I'm crazy, but the Verizon Galaxy Nexus seems like just another Samsung phone, except without a skin on it. It certainly doesn't seem like a Google phone.

Woah woah woah. Take off the hat and step away from the tinfoil.

1. The updates DO come from Google. Says so in the URL for the updates that get pushed to the device. [REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs -- Latest: JOP40D / 4.2.1

2. Our version of the device is supported in AOSP. Something "real Nexus devices" get.Binaries for Nexus Devices

So yeah. Maybe you are crazy.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

1. The updates DO come from Google. Says so in the URL for the updates that get pushed to the device. [REF] [HOW-TO] [GSM & CDMA] Official Google OTA update URLs -- Latest: JOP40D / 4.2.1

2. Our version of the device is supported in AOSP. Something "real Nexus devices" get.Binaries for Nexus Devices

Sure, I agree it's a Nexus, but it's a Nexus that suffers from carrier interference. The fact that you can work around that interference doesn't make the experience any less sour compared to a Google Nexus.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Ok..... get the update without unlocking your bootloader.....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Just get Wug's Toolkit and stop trolling everybody

Sent from my 4.2.1 Photospheric Lock screen widgety quick setting lovin' Sprint LTE Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Now in strawberry flavors too!

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying, majority of Verizon galaxy nexus owners don't root, ROM, unlock bootloaders, or post on forums.
I've seen two galaxy nexus in the wild. Both stock.
The only reason people on here think that everyone with a GNex knows how to do these things is because everyone who posts here does.

mechapathy

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site

I didn't say Verizons update process isn't slow and archaic. It'll come as soon as Verizon says "yup, okay, go ahead Google." I was just disproving the twilight zone theory that we have some kind of Samsung-controlled impostor Nexus.

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying, majority of Verizon galaxy nexus owners don't root, ROM, unlock bootloaders, or post on forums.
I've seen two galaxy nexus in the wild. Both stock.
The only reason people on here think that everyone with a GNex knows how to do these things is because everyone who posts here does.

I agree that stating that majority of people don't root, ROM, unlock is possibly correct.

You could also state that majority of "those" people don't know, complain, or cry that their phone (verizon, sprint versions) does not get the update as fast as the GSM version. They probably have no clue nor bought the phone because of that. And for the small amount that actually do, they are informed enough to come on here to complain. I bet the few that know and complain, wish they would have read about how carriers cause these delays before they bought this phone. Maybe next time you should get the GSM version and you would have this problem. Or maybe you know that their(ATT and Tmobile) coverage sucks (at least in my area) and need Verizon. In that case this is still the best phone on Verizon.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
How about having and using Google Wallet out of the box... without having to side-load it and coax it to work on the Verizon version?

When carriers remove/block features (and Google Wallet is a significant feature/service), that's enough reason for some folks to be upset, IMO. It takes away a feature/experience that Google intended for ALL Nexus users to have and enjoy.

I didn't know anything about Google Wallet but if you are using it and like it; then it is significant. Even if it worked with my phone I would not use it, I would never use a phone as a substitute for my wallet the idea does not appeal to me, but I respect your opinion and desire to use it.

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know anything about Google Wallet but if you are using it and like it; then it is significant. Even if it worked with my phone I would not use it, I would never use a phone as a substitute for my wallet the idea does not appeal to me, but I respect your opinion and desire to use it.

It's pretty cool the first time someone tells you to slide your card and you hold your phone up to it, and they're like, ..... that doesn't work with phones...... And then it goes through, and they're like, WOW, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?
But then you realize in the time it took Google wallet to process the order, you could have pulled out your wallet and slid your card through.

Sent from my wireless telephonic device.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
It's pretty cool the first time someone tells you to slide your card and you hold your phone up to it, and they're like, ..... that doesn't work with phones...... And then it goes through, and they're like, WOW, HOW DID YOU DO THAT?
But then you realize in the time it took Google wallet to process the order, you could have pulled out your wallet and slid your card through.

That slowness may have been your experience, but it hasn't been mine. Only takes two seconds. I usually have my phone in hand anyway, so just tapping my phone to the reader is faster for me.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site

Fair enough. But the point I make is Verizon interfered with Google's intended build for the Nexus (i.e. pure Android) and as a result Verizon doesn't have the Nexus 4.

People can dismiss the differences or justify the shortcomings of having a Nexus on Verizon if they like. Doesn't make those differences any less substantial.

But use whatever works for you. That's what is great about a free market. Choice is a wonderful thing. :)

jova33

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
That slowness may have been your experience, but it hasn't been mine. Only takes two seconds. I usually have my phone in hand anyway, so just tapping my phone to the reader is faster for me.

Dude, I'm quick draw with my wallet, out the pocket, card in hand halfway through leaving the pocket, and bam!, already swiped. I'll race you with Google wallet...

SeigaGen

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
OK... I'll say it....

How bout them COWBOYS!!!! :)

Brought to you by the Google Galaxy Nexus. It IS better than the iPhone 5.

Ognelodhgm

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Could careless how many upgrades im behind. Every upgrade brings new bugs which im in no rush to deal with. As of now im running a old JB build and don't really care to upgrade because my phone is set up how I like it. Also all apps work, coming from a HTC Eris (Yes I was badly in need of a upgrade) I felt more compelled to try to keep up with new Roms because I wasn't able to download all available apps. Now any app I like i can get and runs perfectly. The new features are cool, but ill wait nothing to exciting

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Fortunately Google has already put out a a bug addressing update so I'm sure we will see it in about eight to twelve weeks.
Not soon enough for me. I would assume this will be the last update i receive before my contracts (5) are up next November. I will gladly go to t Mobile on a prepaid and dump these guys once and for all. My guess is VZW is about five years away from a true Nexus phone.
Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
This Samsung/Verizon/Google phone was plagued by delays and drama for months before release. We were lucky this phone ever came to Verizon. Slow updates thy name is Verizon. Most Android phones still don't have Jelly Bean. I've had the phone a year now. I'm happy with it. Not sure what I'll do in the Summer.

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Dude, I'm quick draw with my wallet, out the pocket, card in hand halfway through leaving the pocket, and bam!, already swiped. I'll race you with Google wallet...

but you would already have unlocked wallet a few minutes before paying right? So then you just tap the phone and it's all done... lock and go no wallet needed...

It's not the most wonderful thing ever but it certainly is quicker than pulling out a card

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
1 this phone is obviously a "true" nexus to Google Think of all the bajillion Android devices out there... how many get their own binaries and images on AOSP?

2. This thread may be redundant but we all have to accept that if you were a prospective buyer in 2011 who researched this phone then you would've been almost universally informed that quick updates a la nexus one were in the pipes... (though there were some scattered anxieties due to wallet etc.) it's unfortunate that there was a discrepancy between this and the reality

It's no big deal and some minor hacking deals with it... but I wouldn't say that it's okay for Verizon to have sold contracts to people based on false beliefs.

In addition Verizon's own PR people , do not often acknowledge that their testing cycle is the cause of the delays (their own nexus forum's regulars adamantly maintained that it was Google and Samsung who had issues to iron out last I saw)

Then aain...I should also speculate that it's quite possible that the testing cycle is so long because of the significant number of people complaining of issues (plus the huge signal misconceptions)... Verizon may not have foreseen this issue

The way I see it we still have a great device... and I'm more than satisfied

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2!

Last edited:

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
1 this phone is obviously a "true" nexus to Google Think of all the bajillion Android devices out there... how many get their own binaries and images on AOSP?

2. This thread may be redundant but we all have to accept that if you were a prospective buyer in 2011 who researched this phone then you would've been almost universally informed that quick updates a la nexus one were in the pipes... (though there were some scattered anxieties due to wallet etc.) it's unfortunate that there was a discrepancy between this and the reality

It's no big deal and some minor hacking deals with it... but I wouldn't say that it's okay for Verizon to have sold contracts to people based on false beliefs.

In addition Verizon's own PR people , do not often acknowledge that their testing cycle is the cause of the delays (their own nexus forum's regulars adamantly maintained that it was Google and Samsung who had issues to iron out last I saw)

Then aain...I should also speculate that it's quite possible that the testing cycle is so long because of the significant number of people complaining of issues (plus the huge signal misconceptions)... Verizon may not have foreseen this issue

The way I see it we still have a great device... and I'm more than satisfied

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2!

I don't give VZW a break on this. They can point fingers all they want at Google, or Samsung. But, the simple fact of the matter is, if that were the case, than nobody would have had the update pushed already.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair