This phone is only three upgrades behind now

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Also, it doesn't matter who's fault the delays are. There are delays plain and simple. If you were sold a device that was "promised" updates then Verizon as the retailer is responsible for the faulty product. If I sold you a bottle of wine that I told you was fabulous and exactly what you were looking for and it turned out to not be the case then I am responsible for replacement with something that fits your needs. Misrepresentation is a problem.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
A Nexus device promises you AOSP based updates straight from Google.. Nothing about speed of the updates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
There are two conflicting philosophies at work here. Google's philosophy is "Deploy early and deploy often." The "deploy often" is a requirement when deploying early so as to fix the bugs caused by deploying early. The phone company doesn't have that luxury. They have to make sure it works. They can't afford to have FCs on the phone app when someone is calling 911 while their child is dying in a car accident.

I don't mind waiting as long as Verizon gets it right.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
There are two conflicting philosophies at work here. Google's philosophy is "Deploy early and deploy often." The "deploy often" is a requirement when deploying early so as to fix the bugs caused by deploying early. The phone company doesn't have that luxury. They have to make sure it works. They can't afford to have FCs on the phone app when someone is calling 911 while their child is dying in a car accident.

You wait for VZW upates? Sir, your pants are on fire;)

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Also, it doesn't matter who's fault the delays are. There are delays plain and simple. If you were sold a device that was "promised" updates then Verizon as the retailer is responsible for the faulty product. If I sold you a bottle of wine that I told you was fabulous and exactly what you were looking for and it turned out to not be the case then I am responsible for replacement with something that fits your needs. Misrepresentation is a problem.

There were no promises from Verizon regarding the frequency or speed of updates. But, at this point that is irrelevent.

jerrod6

May 20, 2011
Visit site
I have the Verizon Galaxy Nexus and the Nexus 7 tablet. My tablet went from 4.1 to 4.2 the day after the code was released, but then near the beginning of December I received a bug fix that pushed it to 4.2.1

If I am Verizon I am waiting to make sure 4.2.1 is bug free and then I will go to the trouble of testing and sending out an update and the update I send out will be 4.2.1 and not 4.2

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
A Nexus device promises you AOSP based updates straight from Google.. Nothing about speed of the updates.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Not necessarily... there are GSM nexus devices that are Samsung updated...

And I don't remember who does toroplus

vivek615

May 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's a question of promises nobody was guaranteed anything and quickness is relative...

I think we are doing way better than a lot of devices that are the same age

None of that changes the reality that it was widely believed at launch that this phone would be updated by Google and not subjected to carrier delays.

We got updates from Google but the second part?

Now one can say we saw how the nexus s carrier models were treated and nobody should've had illusions...

But they did. Phones probably sold on that illusion. Even tech media promoted the idea in every review... isn't that a shame?

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Good thing we're talking about the GNex, and not the Thunderbolt... or the Optimus V.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site

Dude, that example...just...no. That's unnecessary.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
but you would already have unlocked wallet a few minutes before paying right? So then you just tap the phone and it's all done... lock and go no wallet needed...

You suggest here that paying with Google Wallet happens instantaneously -- just tap and it's done -- but in my experience it's far from such a quick process. I can easily pay more quickly with my credit card, but I like using Google Wallet for the novelty of it.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
You suggest here that paying with Google Wallet happens instantaneously -- just tap and it's done -- but in my experience it's far from such a quick process. I can easily pay more quickly with my credit card, but I like using Google Wallet for the novelty of it.

Works pretty instantly for me. I had a ball using it in Macy's for my holiday shopping.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
In regards to using Google Wallet, it is a novelty and can be cool but is not something I would rely on. My wallet in my pocket works 100% of the time, nothing about a smart phone works anywhere near 100% of the time. Like I said nothing wrong with liking or using Google Wallet, it just does not fall into my definition of important or needed. Not putting its use down just stating my personal opinion.

Insp_Gadget

Inspector Gadget
Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
In regards to using Google Wallet, it is a novelty and can be cool but is not something I would rely on. My wallet in my pocket works 100% of the time, nothing about a smart phone works anywhere near 100% of the time. Like I said nothing wrong with liking or using Google Wallet, it just does not fall into my definition of important or needed. Not putting its use down just stating my personal opinion.

Google Wallet may be a novelty to you, and you've already said before that you wouldn't use it, so your opinion is noted.

As someone who uses it regularly, I can attest that it works very well. It may not fall into your definition of important or needed, but it is an option... one that Verizon decided to take away from their subscribers (in favor of Verizon's own delayed solution). That's not just an opinion. It's a fact, regardless of how much Verizon may say otherwise.

I'm not saying it's important enough an issue to leave Verizon or take up arms, but I'm also not going to tell people that they shouldn't be upset about their choices being hindered just because my use case (or yours) may differ. That would be arrogant presumption. I'm sure that's not your intent, either.

I will say (and this part is indeed my opinion) that when companies put their bottom line before customer's best interests, and those customers don't voice their dissatisfaction, it's hard to blame a company for continuing to screw said customer. After all, companies are in business to make money at the consumer's expense.

Verizon: "Shut up, bend over and take this service the way I say."

Complaisant customer: "Thank you. May I have another?"

Just my opinion. :p

AndroidRobot

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Verizon sux. Period. They are slower than death to approve updates - if you ever get the update at all. Strike one.

Now you can't use the Nexus phones Google sells straight from their site. Strike two.

Since you can't purchase phones from Google and use on Verizon, that means a contract. Strike three.

As soon as my contract is up, I'm bolting for another carrier that can use the Google sold Nexus phones where I can upgrade when I want and get updates straight from Google.

Die Verizon Die. You better hope no one ever sends me a customer survey.

smokie11

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
As someone who uses it regularly, I can attest that it works very well. It may not fall into your definition of important or needed, but it is an option... one that Verizon decided to take away from their subscribers (in favor of Verizon's own delayed solution). That's not just an opinion. It's a fact, regardless of how much Verizon may say otherwise.
I'm not saying it's important enough an issue to leave Verizon or take up arms, but I'm also not going to tell people that they shouldn't be upset about their choices being hindered just because my use case (or yours) may differ. That would be arrogant presumption. I'm sure that's not your intent, either.Just my opinion. :p

You are right, it is about having the option to use or not. Verizon takes that away and that is a fact. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC