Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 142
Like Tree91Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Aren't we lucky! Our Nexus devices are only 3 upgrades behind.

    The entire process VZW uses to approve updates needs to be eliminated in my opinion.

    http://http://www.droid-life.com/201...8droid+life%29
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  2. #2  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    When you say "this phone" I presume you mean your phone. Because my phone is pretty much up to date. And yours can be too, it's your choice to stay 3 updates behind.
    turdbogls and Isamu982 like this.
  3. #3  
    Mr.Mcgoo's Avatar

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Mine is running JB so not sure 3 behind means, did I miss something i know I have heard about 4.1.2 or something but curious now...
    emanuelm123 likes this.
  4. #4  
    potatolover1102's Avatar

    Posts
    587 Posts
    Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mcgoo View Post
    Mine is running JB so not sure 3 behind means, did I miss something i know I have heard about 4.1.2 or something but curious now...
    4.1.2, 4.2, and now 4.2.1

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    jss2's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm v1.2

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    In my mind, as long as the Verizon Galaxy Nexus continues to be supported by AOSP, it's not behind at all. Sure, it would be better if Verizon didn't insist on delaying everything. But the more important thing is full support from AOSP. And the Verizon Galaxy Nexus is currently fully supported, up to and including 4.2.1. The proprietary binary files that are needed for a full, complete, working build of Android 4.2.1 are available for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    When you say "this phone" I presume you mean your phone. Because my phone is pretty much up to date. And yours can be too, it's your choice to stay 3 updates behind.
    I am confident you know exactly what I mean. I hope you have the character and integrity not to act the way you acted the last time this was discussed.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
    gmen78 likes this.
  7. #7  
    Mr.Mcgoo's Avatar

    Posts
    72 Posts
    Global Posts
    135 Global Posts

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Ok didn't know it jumped that much already, are these big improvements over 4.1.1 ?
  8. #8  
    jss2's Avatar

    Posts
    11 Posts
    ROM
    BAMF Paradigm v1.2

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mcgoo View Post
    Ok didn't know it jumped that much already, are these big improvements over 4.1.1 ?
    4.1.2 was a small improvement from 4.1.1
    4.2 was a big jump (many added features, though introduced some bugs)
    4.2.1 was a small improvement over 4.2, and fixed some of the minor bugs
  9. #9  
    c_Hacks Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    120 Global Posts

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    4.2 had serious problems with BT. That's one update I'm glad I missed.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    YourMobileGuru likes this.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    We've had this phone for a year, now. You should be pretty used to the fact that about 2 months after the release of 4.2x we will get an OTA and it will be way earlier than any other Non-Nexus.

    I have the most current on my Nexus 10 and I can't think of one feature I am hungry for on the GNex. I can, however, think of a few things I could hold off more than two months before being saddled with..
    Thanked by 2:
    arcoms, scottabutler and ConTejas like this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    We've had this phone for a year, now. You should be pretty used to the fact that about 2 months after the release of 4.2x we will get an OTA and it will be way earlier than any other Non-Nexus.

    I have the most current on my Nexus 10 and I can't think of one feature I am hungry for on the GNex. I can, however, think of a few things I could hold off more than two months before being saddled with..
    In my opinion there is no justifiable for VZW to drag their feet on these updates.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  12. #12  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    I am confident you know exactly what I mean. I hope you have the character and integrity not to act the way you acted the last time this was discussed.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    WTH are you talking about? Integrity is defined to be with honesty and morality. I can't remember any post where I was dishonest or immoral.

    As to the whine-fest people like to push on the rest of us, yes maybe that's it, you didn't like me calling out the whiners. Is that it?

    As my dad used to say, "Son, if you don't like it, do something about it. Don't whine about it."

    You always have a choice. Whining is one of them. It's just not a productive choice.
    Thanked by 2:
    ultravisitor and xlDeMoNiClx like this.
  13. #13  
    2defmouze's Avatar

    Posts
    5,825 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Threads complaining about the 2 month wait for upgrades from Verizon, a fact which we should all be aware of at this point, are as pointless as posts telling people to unlock and flash their own update.

    At the end of the day nothing gets accomplished except for some bickering and flexing behind computer screens. Everyone chillax

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 12:
    + Show/Hide list of the thanked
  14. #14  
    Jaredshoes's Avatar

    Posts
    462 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by 2defmouze View Post
    Threads complaining about the 2 month wait for upgrades from Verizon, a fact which we should all be aware of at this point, are as pointless as posts telling people to unlock and flash their own update.

    At the end of the day nothing gets accomplished except for some bickering and flexing behind computer screens. Everyone chillax

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    and yet there will still be plenty more made
    nothing nothing nothing
  15. #15  
    mikestorm's Avatar

    Posts
    374 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Aren't we lucky! Our Nexus devices are only 3 upgrades behind.

    The entire process VZW uses to approve updates needs to be eliminated in my opinion
    I think it's not the content of the updates that are the main issue here, it's the frustration that an update exists and you don't have it, psychologically diminishing the value of the Nexus in relation to its peers. Technical term: "Keeping up with the Joneses." Even if the sum total of that update fixes a typo and/or adds a month to a calendar (an issue stock VZW phones have avoided I might add), why the sense of entitlement to that update? Is your phone not working as it should, depriving you of enjoyment and/or usability? If yes, would one of these three incremental updates fix the phone?

    From VZW's point of view, why cave to a very small (albeit very vocal) audience when you run the risk of alienating everyone else with a poorly deployed update?

    I've been with VZW for years, and prior to Android phones I had the BB Storm and BB Storm 2. Back then, Verizon DID push out updates much more rapidly, almost as knee jerk reactions to issues as they manifested. Often times, they made things worse, and when that happened, nobody blamed RIM..they all blamed Big Red. Trust me when I say the recurring theme in this forum would be very different (dare I say even more acrimonious) if updates came that quickly.

    Anyway,my point is it behooves VZW to approach device updates in a utilitarian manner.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Oh cool. Another thread where somebody might get banned.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 2:
    davidnc, Bears, Ytaay and 7 others like this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    Oh cool. Another thread where somebody might get banned.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Not really like it solves anything, they can just go out and make a new account.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
  18. #18  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by Will1524 View Post
    Not really like it solves anything, they can just go out and make a new account.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums
    I don't suggest trying out that theory. Trust me.

    Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by 2:
    davidnc and sledge007 like this.
  19. #19  
    turdbogls's Avatar

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    You crack me up Jerry.

    but back on topic. why do the Mods even let these threads grow? IMO, they should be locked right away.
    Yes, we all know the VZW Nexus is the red-headed stepchild of the nexus family....yes, we know it wont get updates as quickly...yes we know you are all pissed.
    yes we know you can get the latest and greatest from the ROM community...Yes, we know you are afraid of bricking your device....YES WE KNOW!!!!!
    but i am with TabGuy on this one. coming on the forums and reiterating the fact that you want updates or that you dont have the latest updates isn't going to do any good. either live with the fully functioning phone you have, or do something about it (unlock, root, ROM) complaining on here is going to do nothing other than start Flame wars.

    FWIW, i have been rooted and unlocked on this phone since day one. and it has been THE best phone i have ever had. Super happy with it. and i never once complained about lack of updates because i usually can flash them the day of or the day after they get pushed to AOSP. i am running a completely stable build of 4.2.1 right now because i took matters into my own hands....not because i make a thread after every update complaining about how it isn't on my phone yet.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
    Thanked by:
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    You crack me up Jerry.

    but back on topic. why do the Mods even let these threads grow? IMO, they should be locked right away.
    Yes, we all know the VZW Nexus is the red-headed stepchild of the nexus family....yes, we know it wont get updates as quickly...yes we know you are all pissed.
    yes we know you can get the latest and greatest from the ROM community...Yes, we know you are afraid of bricking your device....YES WE KNOW!!!!!
    but i am with TabGuy on this one. coming on the forums and reiterating the fact that you want updates or that you dont have the latest updates isn't going to do any good. either live with the fully functioning phone you have, or do something about it (unlock, root, ROM) complaining on here is going to do nothing other than start Flame wars.

    FWIW, i have been rooted and unlocked on this phone since day one. and it has been THE best phone i have ever had. Super happy with it. and i never once complained about lack of updates because i usually can flash them the day of or the day after they get pushed to AOSP. i am running a completely stable build of 4.2.1 right now because i took matters into my own hands....not because i make a thread after every update complaining about how it isn't on my phone yet.
    Nobody is forcing either you or TabGuy to read or participate in threads like these.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  21. #21  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    not because i make a thread after every update complaining about how it isn't on my phone yet.
    And yet you participate in every thread after every update complaining about posts nobody forced you to read. Yes, we know.
    Thanked by:
    Topgonzo likes this.
  22. #22  
    turdbogls's Avatar

    Posts
    375 Posts
    Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulDroidR2D2 View Post
    Nobody is forcing either you or TabGuy to read or participate in threads like these.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollster View Post
    And yet you participate in every thread after every update complaining about posts nobody forced you to read. Yes, we know.
    I knew i was going to get some of these posts.. :P
    and you are right. i "fuel the fire" on these posts. (no not all of them)
    but what else am i supposed to do but stir up some trouble in the forums on a boring Saturday afternoon in the office
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    I like threads like these. This issue is why Verizon isn't getting the nexus 4, and probably never getting another nexus device.
    But I think it was Google's fault too. Apple was able to pull their weight and put the iPhone on Verizon on their terms. The VZW iPhone has no carrier bloat, and gets updated at the same time as every other iPhone. Why can't Google manage to do this with their nexus line?

    Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
    gmen78, Topgonzo and svfd757 like this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  
    pauldroidr2d2's Avatar

    Posts
    2,609 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,618 Global Posts
    ROM
    ICS 4.0.4

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    Quote Originally Posted by jova33 View Post
    I like threads like these. This issue is why Verizon isn't getting the nexus 4, and probably never getting another nexus device.
    But I think it was Google's fault too. Apple was able to pull their weight and put the iPhone on Verizon on their terms. The VZW iPhone has no carrier bloat, and gets updated at the same time as every other iPhone. Why can't Google manage to do this with their nexus line?

    Sent from my wireless telephonic device.
    I think you make some great points. I also wonder why Google hasn't been able to get contracts similar to what Apple has going.

    My g/fs iPhone 5 has received more updates to it in the weeks it has been out than our VZW Nexus have received in the year it has been out.

    Sent from my Galaxy Note 2.
    Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note 2, Verizon Galaxy S4, or N7, or MacBook Air
  25. #25  

    Default Re: This phone is only three upgrades behind now

    I guess I will man up and ask the question we have all been wondering....WHO'S GOING TO WATCH NATIONAL LAMPOON'S CHRISTMAS VACATION!???

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Am I the only one that thinks this phone is a complete POS?
    By prolongExistence in forum Motorola Admiral
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM
  2. Now That I Finally Got A Good One This Phone Is Great !
    By AndroidXTC in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-28-2012, 08:36 PM
  3. This phone is a champ!
    By Romoko in forum Motorola Droid X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2010, 08:18 PM
  4. I'm impressed. This phone is simply wonderful.
    By Night Train in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 09:20 PM
  5. Suck it up.. This phone is Magical (maybe)
    By tkanavy in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions