Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ConTejas
  • 1 Post By rossnovak123
  • 1 Post By ctechnow
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Note 2 Messaging App

Hi All,

My friend just got a Galaxy Note 2 and I noticed that with his native app he's able to group message with iPhone iMessage users flawlessly. Two part question here, what's the best way to participate in iMessage group chats or can I get the same messaging app the Galaxy Note 2 has?

Thanks!

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Default Re: Galaxy Note 2 Messaging App

Group messaging is native in 4.2.x, so if you're unlocked/rooted you could flash any 4.2.x based rom and you'd have it. That feature is part of Touch Wiz on the GN2. I know there are apps available to do it on pre 4.2 vanilla android, groupme comes to mind as one the other parties don't need to also have on their device. Hopefully someone else can chime in if you're going the stock route.

I use GoSms for group chat's but I would also like to know other alternatives to this. I want a sms app that will show how many unread tests there are down in the bottom 5 icon launch area.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I was always hesitant to flash but I think I'm ready. I didn't know 4.2x was available for Verizon version of the Nexus? Can you point me in the right direction where I can find instructions for a first time flasher?

Thanks!

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

The LTE gnex is AOSP supported, so "we've" been on the lastest and greatest android versions in a matter of hours after Google releases to AOSP (android open service project). Probably before 90% of people have the Nexus device that it was released on (N7, N4/N10). Unless you cannot unlock/root for business reasons, waiting for OTAs is for the birds. Especially when you see the devs create roms that are often faster, smoother, have better battery life, and with awesome and functional features (often incorporated into vanilla Android on a later version or OEM roms/skins). Anyway, you find tons of help and information above in the roms and hacks section. Read the first page or two of the sticky how to guides to familiarize yourself (dmmarck's "don't panic/how to", cyberwarriors how to). I recommend use Wug's unlock/root toolkit, also in the sticky section. Really couldn't be simpler. Took me a few mins to unlock/root using a toolkit, and I've never used my computer to flash etc since. Can do it anywhere. Oh, once you're unlocked/rooted, read the "how to install radios" guide as you'll want to flash the latest jb bootloader and radios availabe (links in the guide). It may seem overwhelming, but trust me you'll laugh and wonder why you hadn't spent the few minutes sooner. My gnex feels like a fresh new device about as often as I want. There's always something to find if you want. Or you could flash once and never again. Also, you can easily unroot and relock clicking a button on the toolkit, with no way of ever knowing it was unlocked/rooted, so there goes warranty concerns. Being a nexus the stock Google factory images are always available so the phone is as unbrickable as you get. After you read a bit, if you have questions just fire away. Lots of knowledgable and friendly people to help. Just search for a "oh no I bricked my phone" thready, which there are very few, and you'll see it's always "calm down, no you didn't, do XYZ" and the person is good to go. Enjoy!

Also, I believe the toolkit installs CWM (clockworkmod) as your custom recovery. I highly suggest switching to TWRP (team win recovery project) once you're rooted. Easiest way is downloading goomanager from the play store. Hit menu<install openrecoveryscipt and it'll auto intall TWRP and remove CWM. It's just better and seems better suited for 4.2.x roms (although CWM has now been updated). You can also find and dowload roms and gapps from that app. LTE gnex codename is "toro." It'll all make sense later lol.
    Last edited by ConTejas; 12-04-2012 at 09:26 AM.
    bigdaddytee likes this.

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Galaxy Note 2 Messaging App-uploadfromtaptalk1354634252215.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    The LTE gnes is AOSP supported, so "we've" been on the lastest and greatest android versions in a matter of hours after Google releases to AOSP (android open service project). Probably before 90% of people have the Nexus device that it was released on (N7, N4/N10). Unless you cannot unlock/root for business reasons, waiting for OTAs is for the birds. Especially when you see the devs create roms that are often faster, smoother, have better battery life, and with awesome and functional features (often incorporated into vanilla Android on a later version or OEM roms/skins). Anyway, you find tons of help and information above in the roms and hacks section. Read the first page or two of the sticky how to guides to familiarize yourself (dmmarck's "don't panic/how to", cyberwarriors how to). I recommend use Wug's unlock/root toolkit, also in the sticky section. Really couldn't be simpler. Took me a few mins to unlock/root using a toolkit, and I've never used my computer to flash etc since. Can do it anywhere. Oh, once you're unlocked/rooted, read the "how to install radios" guide as you'll want to flash the latest jb bootloader and radios availabe (links in the guide). It may seem overwhelming, but trust me you'll laugh and wonder why you hadn't spent the few minutes sooner. My gnex feels like a fresh new device about as often as I want. There's always something to find if you want. Or you could flash once and never again. Also, you can easily unroot and relock clicking a button on the toolkit, with no way of ever knowing it was unlocked/rooted, so there goes warranty concerns. Being a nexus the stock Google factory images are always available so the phone is as unbrickable as you get. After you read a bit, if you have questions just fire away. Lots of knowledgable and friendly people to help. Just search for a "oh no I bricked my phone" thready, which there are very few, and you'll see it's always "calm down, no you didn't, do XYZ" and the person is good to go. Enjoy!
    Thanks! Looks like I won't be getting any work done today at the office, but I'll definitely have 4.2!
    ConTejas likes this.

Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ctechnow View Post
    I use GoSms for group chat's but I would also like to know other alternatives to this. I want a sms app that will show how many unread tests there are down in the bottom 5 icon launch area.
    this is more of a launcher thing than a messaging app thing. i know for a fact that the following launchers support it
    Nova launcher (seperate download "teslaunread" requires nova prime i think)
    Apex Launcher (believe it is built in, but need the paid version to use i think...its been a while"
    Go launcher (go launcher EX notifications)
    ADW launcher (ADW notifier app) may need ADW EX but not sure.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Group messaging is native in 4.2.x, so if you're unlocked/rooted you could flash any 4.2.x based rom and you'd have it. That feature is part of Touch Wiz on the GN2. I know there are apps available to do it on pre 4.2 vanilla android, groupme comes to mind as one the other parties don't need to also have on their device. Hopefully someone else can chime in if you're going the stock route.
    Group Messaging Option has always been available even in ICS but that was for SENDING only. Are you saying that the native text app in 4.2.x allows the RECEIVING of group texts?

ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

Quote Originally Posted by ctechnow View Post
    Group Messaging Option has always been available even in ICS but that was for SENDING only. Are you saying that the native text app in 4.2.x allows the RECEIVING of group texts?
    That's affirmative, ghost rider.

Well that is the best freaking news that I have heard in a while. Thanks Goose.
    Thanked by:
    ConTejas likes this.