Stock phone and messaging apps

doncerda

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Okay first of all I want to say that I love this phone even to this day. But the stock messaging and phone apps are lacking some things that I need and want. So before I do anything crazy I want to ask the community for some advice. I know that I can disable the messaging app if I have a 3rd party app like GOSMS installed ... but can I do the same for the stock phone app and replace it with a 3rd party dialer like GoDialer?? Let me know if anybody has tried this or if I'm going to for some reason and somehow brick my phone. Thanks for the support

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The dialer should be just as replaceable as the rest of them. ;) Installing a third-party app such as GoDialer won't do your phone any harm.

No craziness, just fun.

doncerda

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Actually you can't technically replace the dialer app...I tried ..its all good thanks for the reply though :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually you can't technically replace the dialer app...I tried ..its all good thanks for the reply though :)

I stand corrected, I was sure it was otherwise... going to go figure out how I got that mixed up.

Edit: I know that you can install a third-party dialer, open it, and use it to make calls as you would the stock dialer. Replacing the shortcut to the stock dialer with a shortcut to the third-party application allows homescreen access, and you should be asked at some point whether you want to use the stock dialer or the third-party application as the default for certain actions.

What specific functionality are you looking for?

doncerda

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
I actually wanted to completely replace the app... For the SMS (for example) I disabled the stock app completely and just installed. A third party app... But this can't be fine for the stock dialer app... So I just left it obstacle... Sorry didn't mean to come off as trying to correct you

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually wanted to completely replace the app... For the SMS (for example) I disabled the stock app completely and just installed. A third party app... But this can't be fine for the stock dialer app... So I just left it obstacle... Sorry didn't mean to come off as trying to correct you

You didn't come across that way, and if you had, I would have been fine with it. ;) I take pride in giving out correct advice and helpful help, and if I'm mistaken about something I certainly want to fix that. I realize you won't be able to disable the app per se, but barring the actual removal of the stock app, I do believe that a third-party dialer should be able to replace the full functionality of the stock one. I'm like you however, and very much detest the idea of a superfluous dialer application sitting around on my phone. I'm a minimalist.

Of course, this all changes if the device is rooted.

doncerda

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Yeah once the device is rooted there is a whole new world opened up... And in all actuality I've been considering it because I like things looking as minimal as possible... So some transparent widgets are what I really want ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay