Galaxy Nexus -> __________

spencer0279

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
i havent been on here in a while, but i need advice lol. I love the nexus vanilla-ness, i had touchwiz for a while. i love samsung screens, but touchwiz is disgusting after vanilla. im getting a new phone withing the next week or so. i like the DNA kind of, but the sense scares me. id get the s3 but it only has afew months left lol. I need opinions and such below please.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If you're not carrier-dependent, consider the Nexus 4 on a T-Mobile or a prepaid service. Otherwise, I'd suggest spending some time with the DNA and RAZR MAXX HD in person. Motorola's latest iterations of Motoblur have come closer and closer to stock Android in both form and function.

Alternatively, if you're getting a new phone because of an upgrade becoming available, consider waiting a couple months to see what is released in January/February or what is announced at CES 2013.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'll just throw this in here.. Just because the SGS 3 has been out for 5-6 months doesn't mean its time in the spotlight is over, even if the SGS 4 is mentioned in early 2013 I'd expect early Spring into Summer before it hits the US market.

spencer0279

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
well im trapped on verizon, my gnexus screen is so broken that i piece broke off in my thumb lol. It still works, but its scary. I like the S3 but the touchwiz is so ugly lol. I want the nexus 4, but im trapped on verizon .-.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
well im trapped on verizon, my gnexus screen is so broken that i piece broke off in my thumb lol. It still works, but its scary. I like the S3 but the touchwiz is so ugly lol. I want the nexus 4, but im trapped on verizon .-.
Is an insurance replacement out of the question? Your original post sounded like you were due and just wanted to get a new phone. If you have insurance, I would go that route and wait until late spring to see what's out there. If you like the stock feel and like to flash ROMs, the Motorola phones are probably out of the question.
Personally, I wouldn't get one now because they are only dual-core with 1 GB of RAM. I am sure Moto will have some quad-core variant out in the spring.
It's probably a safe bet that their next batch of phones will have great battery life as well.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
If you're not carrier-dependent, consider the Nexus 4 on a T-Mobile or a prepaid service. Otherwise, I'd suggest spending some time with the DNA and RAZR MAXX HD in person. Motorola's latest iterations of Motoblur have come closer and closer to stock Android in both form and function.

Alternatively, if you're getting a new phone because of an upgrade becoming available, consider waiting a couple months to see what is released in January/February or what is announced at CES 2013.

You forgot about the Note2.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I'll just throw this in here.. Just because the SGS 3 has been out for 5-6 months doesn't mean its time in the spotlight is over, even if the SGS 4 is mentioned in early 2013 I'd expect early Spring into Summer before it hits the US market.

While I certaily agree with you and the SGS3 is a great phone (bought one...kept beloved gnex and gave to my gf :) so I have used it often) I noticed that Franco already ditched the SGS3 and rumors of others to follow. Personally, I think it'll get at least cm/aokp dev support for quite a while as it's such a popular device. OP you could always get a SGS3, unlock/root it, and run vanilla ish rom. They're selling them so cheap nowadays and it's a great phone.

Davey...the OP didn't mention a tablet that also works as a phone so no mention of the GN2:p

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
While I certaily agree with you and the SGS3 is a great phone (bought one...kept beloved gnex and gave to my gf :) so I have used it often) I noticed that Franco already ditched the SGS3 and rumors of others to follow. Personally, I think it'll get at least cm/aokp dev support for quite a while as it's such a popular device. OP you could always get a SGS3, unlock/root it, and run vanilla ish rom. They're selling them so cheap nowadays and it's a great phone.

Davey...the OP didn't mention a tablet that also works as a phone so no mention of the GN2:p

Sure I agree that Franco and other developers will always attempt to stay on top of the latest and greatest... Usually if you get 4-6 months of consistant developer support from the same developer then you've done good.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely consider an insurance replacement or getting a cheap holdyouover phone off ebay and saving your upgrade if you're not interested in any of the current phones. there will be new ones between march and june for sure.

that said, if you want a vanilla device, it's not looking good for verizon. you might be better off picking the phone you like the best that they have, unlocking it and putting an aosp rom on there.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

You say trapped...you mean with the contract? If you're fairly close to contract end, you could pay the etf (pro rated) and get the n4 and actually cut your bill in half. With the savings in your monthly bill, it could pay your etf and the price of the n4 fairly quickly. I did this about 2 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. Of course you will lose your lte speed, but to cut the bill in half is worth it to me. Plus no stinkin contract with the n4. :D

If trapped because vz is the only carrier that works in your area, then thats another story.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC