Be careful using Google's "Field Trip" app

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I learned about Field Trip on a podcast. It's an app that knows where you are at and points out interesting information about attractions around you.

I downloaded it to my wife's phone and turned it on while we driving from L.A. to San Jose. We had about 2 hours left in our trip but I didn't pay much attention to it, wanting to to use it when we arrived.

When we arrived I noticed that the phone was hot. I also noticed that she got a message from Verizon stating that she was near the limit on her data. After some investigation I was able to figure out that Field Trip had consumed about 800 megabytes of data in that 2 hours of travel. Now my wife was near her data limit with 7 days left in the billing period. She was not a happy camper.

So, if you decide to use Field Trip or the associated game Ingress beware of the data consumption factor. It's huge.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
That's Verizon issue, the app was doing what is supposed to. That being said, take the advice of the op.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend Sprint too, but when my 3G speeds on Sprint were less then then 450kb about 95% of the time, unlimited is pointless when its not usable for anything!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You can add a block of data to you plan for a month if you are worried about going over. I think it is 10 for two gb. Cheaper than the overage

Otherwise...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress