- 1,018 Posts
Be careful using Google's "Field Trip" app
I learned about Field Trip on a podcast. It's an app that knows where you are at and points out interesting information about attractions around you.
I downloaded it to my wife's phone and turned it on while we driving from L.A. to San Jose. We had about 2 hours left in our trip but I didn't pay much attention to it, wanting to to use it when we arrived.
When we arrived I noticed that the phone was hot. I also noticed that she got a message from Verizon stating that she was near the limit on her data. After some investigation I was able to figure out that Field Trip had consumed about 800 megabytes of data in that 2 hours of travel. Now my wife was near her data limit with 7 days left in the billing period. She was not a happy camper.
So, if you decide to use Field Trip or the associated game Ingress beware of the data consumption factor. It's huge.
- 12-11-2012, 10:24 AM #2
- 12-11-2012, 05:16 PM #3
- 12-12-2012, 08:18 AM #4
- 12-14-2012, 03:23 AM #5
- 12-14-2012, 03:37 AM #6
Re: Be careful using Google's "Field Trip" app
You can add a block of data to you plan for a month if you are worried about going over. I think it is 10 for two gb. Cheaper than the overage
Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
- By Mlamp in forum Amazon Kindle FireReplies: 21Last Post: 04-27-2013, 11:42 AM
- By el_mariach in forum Sprint Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and HacksReplies: 17Last Post: 12-19-2012, 05:25 AM
- By Beat Navy in forum AT&T Samsung InfuseReplies: 2Last Post: 10-02-2012, 05:04 PM
- By chrislitzkow in forum Android AppsReplies: 6Last Post: 09-14-2011, 02:59 PM
- By ctychick in forum Verizon Droid IncredibleReplies: 17Last Post: 09-03-2010, 01:01 AM