Apps Won't Update

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi- I'm new to Android, and was trying to determine why my notification tray shows 12 triangles with exclamation points (one for each app that cannot be updated). Looking on the forums, some have suggested deleting my google account, and adding it back in. Can someone please direct me (as detailed as possible) how to do that? My Verizon Galaxy Nexus is on 4.1.1, never rooted or unlocked.

Will deleting my account erase or change the data on my phone? If so- is there another way to get this phone to sync with Google Play again?

Thanks in advance for helping this noob.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I understand that perhaps this question was exceedingly noob, which may be why there were no responses. I found a detailed YouTube video that referenced the error code I was receiving (RPC-S: AEC-0) which showed the solution to the repeated errors I have been receiving. In case this benefits anyone- the problem was rectified by going into settings, selecting the Google account used to sync the phone, click on the email address that is shown (and then click the menu and select Remove Account). After a few seconds, open the Play Store, and it will ask you to enter your Existing Account, or create a new one. Click Existing, and enter your Gmail address and password, and you will hopefully find that all of the updates will start downloading automatically (that was my experience, anyway). It should be noted that the account removal and re-adding have to done within a certain timeframe or the account may not be able to be re-added.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
mzdrati,

Don't take lack of responses as a noob issue. This forum is extremely helpful to noobs. Rather take it as a problem you found that many of us haven't seen before and couldn't offer a response.

I do appreciate your spirit of helpfulness by returning here and explaining the solution you found. You'll fit in very nicely with this group of very helpful folks.

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
mzdrati,

Don't take lack of responses as a noob issue. This forum is extremely helpful to noobs. Rather take it as a problem you found that many of us haven't seen before and couldn't offer a response.

I do appreciate your spirit of helpfulness by returning here and explaining the solution you found. You'll fit in very nicely with this group of very helpful folks.

Also, the time of day that you posted this may account for the lack of responses. Late afternoon and evening are usually when you find the most traffic on here.
It's not uncommon for a new thread to take several hours before the first response is posted.
Like TabGuy stated, if it's something that a lot of people were familiar with, I am sure someone would have jumped on it and gave you a response.

menschmaschine5

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi- I'm new to Android, and was trying to determine why my notification tray shows 12 triangles with exclamation points (one for each app that cannot be updated). Looking on the forums, some have suggested deleting my google account, and adding it back in. Can someone please direct me (as detailed as possible) how to do that? My Verizon Galaxy Nexus is on 4.1.1, never rooted or unlocked.

Will deleting my account erase or change the data on my phone? If so- is there another way to get this phone to sync with Google Play again?

Thanks in advance for helping this noob.
You should be fine if you delete and re-register your account. It may erase contacts associated with that account, but those will sync again.

This happened to some people who tried that dubious trick for forcing an update to your phone when the jelly bean update was pushing. Signing out from and back into your google account should fix the problem.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Oh- OK. Thank you for the reassurance. I usually research here and other sites before posting a new thread (so as to avoid posting something that has already been discussed). It's a little surprising to me that this is something new to (what I see as) a seasoned and experienced group of techies, and I don't mind admitting that it's a little exciting to think that I could teach any one of you anything about this phone or technology.

If it were 10 years ago- I'd be one of you rooters / ROMers, but I have a wife, 2 kids, and 3 jobs,and while I have a LOT of interest in rooting and ROMing this phone, I just don't have the time to dedicate to researching it the way I'd feel is necessary to do it safely / properly / and in a way that teaches me what is actually going on (as opposed to having someone do it for me). On that thought- are there any really good (that is to say- long, drawn-out) rooting / ROMing tutorials written without acronyms or tech-speak where I might learn a thing or two about staying current with updates (as I anticipate Verizon to start loosing interest in keeping this now year-old phone current)?

Thanks again for the advise!