If you were to leave the Nexus, what phone would you get?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've had the Nexus for a year now. It's the longest I've ever owned a smart phone. I enjoy trying out different ROMs but have been a little itchy to try some new hardware. I'd like your advice on where to look next. I'll only move to a new phone if there's a compelling argument.

Here are my requirements:
1. It MUST be Verizon. It's a company phone. No wiggle room there.
2. I prefer a removable battery.
3. I'd like to root and unlock the boot loader to install ROMs but it's not an absolute requirement.

I kinda like the reviews on the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Nice and big. Any thoughts?

imnotajedi

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure I would get a different phone yet but I have not really played with the DNA. Note II is cool. I am pretty happy with having a pretty stable 4.2.1 on my phone. Software is keeping me on the Nexus and not really wanting/needing to change.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I am in the exact same situation. LOVE my nexus and i would be happy with it for the next 10 months until my contract is up, but i am getting the itch to switch it up a bit.
the Note 2 is tempting for sure, but the prices are still a little rediculous. the S3 is pretty tempting as well, expecially since CM10.1 is available for it. that is what i am trying to get my hands on currently. need to trade my nexus or sell it or something as i dont want to be out more than $100 on the deal.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
You got three choices, the N2 the DNA or the GS3. All fine phones.
Too bad you can't ditch vz. They are a bloodsucking, evil btard of a company. But I guess your work pays your bill. And yes, they have a killer network.

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently courting the note 2. After the holidays I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Nothing else really interests me and coming from the gnex, it's time for some awesome battery life.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I've had the Nexus for a year now. It's the longest I've ever owned a smart phone. I enjoy trying out different ROMs but have been a little itchy to try some new hardware. I'd like your advice on where to look next. I'll only move to a new phone if there's a compelling argument.

Here are my requirements:
1. It MUST be Verizon. It's a company phone. No wiggle room there.
2. I prefer a removable battery.
3. I'd like to root and unlock the boot loader to install ROMs but it's not an absolute requirement.

I kinda like the reviews on the Samsung Galaxy Note II. Nice and big. Any thoughts?

There isn't really anything that fits your requirements. But the top of the line right now are the GS3, Note 2, DNA, and Razr HD (max)..All of the top tier phones have locked boot loaders but they can be backed. Only the note 2 and GS3 have removable batteries. Built in batteries seems to be the trend now. If you can sacrifice on that I'm getting 14+17 hrs on the DNA and can get 2 days out of the Max HD if I want to. I understand the Note 2 is also excellent in that regard.

I would take a serious look at the Max HD and DNA as the Samsung phones are nice but highly overrated but that's just me.

Sent from my Motorola Droid RAZR Max HD using the Android Central Forums app.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've been rethinking my position about leaving the GNex. One of the things I love most about the GNex is no hard buttons on the face of the phone. I like customizing my nav bar and I often turn the phone upside down (when I'm at the gym with a headphone plugged in) and having the screen flip 180 degrees including the nav bar.

zero neck

The Ever-Living
Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
ordered mako. but if that doesnt work out, or if for some reason i were to stay with verizon, i would wait it out or try to get either an s3 or a dna off contract.

note is too big for my taste. i like the build quality of moto phones (maxx hd etc) but locked bootloaders are a no go. not in love with the droid aesthetics of the dna. s3 is 6+ months old.

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Still happy with my GNex, and not planning to leave Verizon anytime soon.
I don't think the phone to lure me away has been built yet, but I hope its in the pipeline.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.

Dostovel

Jul 15, 2010
www.facebook.com
My girlfriend and her daughter just got the S3 at the Best Buy $50 sale. I really like the phone. It feels better in my hand than my Gnex and the screen is really nice. Much better than the Gnex.

Other than that, I just don't really see any reason to "upgrade" to that. I'm with the consensus in that I am just fine with the Gnex until my upgrade in August. Ideally I would like to explore other carriers/phones that may be less expensive and offer the same features and network speed but being on the VZW unlimited data plan, I may just stick with VZW.

draiko913

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I've got a pre-order placed for the Nexus 4, hopefully it ships within the next few weeks. A big part of that is because I need to switch carriers since I get no reception at my office with VZW now. I've seriously considered going with the the Note 2 as well though.

nelschroeder

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a Galaxy Nexus and not sure I would ever switch to a non Nexus phone. Was on a Nexus S before this one. What else could you get that was so easy to root and was so adaptable?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2