Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    No the y were saying it probably won't be a moto nexus, but a modular version where the OS and moto blur would be separate layers.
    Having the Galaxy Nexus for a year, it's hard for me to deviate from stock Android. But if Google & Motorola are collaborating for something not just good, but awesome, even if it has a bit of motoblur, I may be down for that.
    Moto X (Ebony wood back, silver accents, black front)
    Previously: Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Droid X - Blackberry Tour 9630 - Dumbphones
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

No the y were saying it probably won't be a moto nexus, but a modular version where the OS and moto blur would be separate layers.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.
    Modular version of the OS? Sounds like that previously debunked rumor from earlier this year.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Well that is kinda what they were saying in the articles.... And just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it won't. Where there's smoke....

Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

My understanding of the X phone is that it is intended to be a consumer device where as the Nexus line has been developer devices. With that in mind I would expect the X to offer a terrific user experience, but it may not be on the bleeding edge like a Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,478 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aguaski View Post
    My understanding of the X phone is that it is intended to be a consumer device where as the Nexus line has been developer devices. With that in mind I would expect the X to offer a terrific user experience, but it may not be on the bleeding edge like a Nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    With the Nexus 7 easily available at retail outlets, I'd say the Nexus line is now longer strictly a "developer" device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    With the Nexus 7 easily available at retail outlets, I'd say the Nexus line is now longer strictly a "developer" device.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    I wouldn't call it easily available; it's sold out most everywhere!

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

They will see another. I don't think the n4 is out of the question. One thing though, it will never compete with a phone like the sgs3. Not and still run pure android. A pure device is just to barebones to be able to compete. Sure you will get new features but the sgs3 will get those same features plus whatever the oem adds in.

You just cannot catch up running pure android.
    Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis
    You just cannot catch up to an OEM skinned and bloated rom based on and relying completely on the existance of pure vanilla Android, by running pure vanilla android, huh? Annnnnnd "sent from the Nexus of the Android world...the SGS3"? I'd say something cliche like "not sure if trolling or just stupid" but based on those comments I'm confident it's a unique mixture of the two qualities. I mean as little offense as possible, but that just blows my mind lol.

Agree with others that we'll see Nexi on VZW sometime in the future once a) demand is great enough for VZW to want to agree to Google's terms (as I doubt Google will ever agree to the terms they did with the LTE gnex) b) LTE is scaled to the point GSM/CDMA is phased out (but LTE is a proprietary technology so that could be an obstacle to unlocked/carrier independent LTE nexi). Google has certainly been marketing the Nexi platform to mainstream consumers rather than techy/dev types more since the gnex (much to some VZW chagrin) as its flagship devices with the OS the way Google intended, and the lastest and greatest from Android throughout the useful life of the device, but I think we're a ways off before Nexi hold enough marketshare for VZW to want to play by Google's rules. I'll gladly leave VZW for another Nexus once I either lose my cheap old grandfathered ulimited family plan or my corporate discount. I enjoy the "nexus experience" that much and Google/prepaid have made it too attactive to one's wallet to go another way.
    Thanked by:
    stabbedintheface and davey11 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I am neither. If I ha e what you have and enhance it continually, how do you catch up? You can't.

ROM
    Viper

Well Google is at an interesting place with nexus. The gnex was a step towards making it a flagship brand with the multiple carriers and good specs. But the next nexus 4 is a step back towards a pure development phone with the limited storage and networks. Where they will go with it? Who knows.

I personally think they should have 2 phones. One base developer phone with the minimum specs that they think further android phones should run on and sold as cheap as possible on gsm only. The second phone should be a flagship with the best specs available and on all networks with unlocked price compatible to other flagship devises. This way they have their cheap phone for development and their flagship for everyone else.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)
    Thanked by:

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

The N4 IS a flagship phone with the top of the line specs, pure fact, unless you happen to be in the "must have a removable battery and/or a removable sd card" camp. You might not know it by reading these forums but those people are simply a vocal minority based on sales figure of devices without them. I've seen plenty of N4 speedtests, and have now done a few of my own in the wild, to prove to myself that especially HSPA+ is comparable and sometimes faster than LTE and gsm 3g speeds generally kill CDMA speeds. This makes the lack of LTE a non issue for the majority of the world Google is targeting and also millions of customers in the states. Lastly, it does support band 4 LTE if you live in Canada, Mexico, and supposedly T Mobile will be building their LTE on band 4 as well. No soldering, no wires, just switch to LTE and go if you're on band 4 LTE. Oh, and the the price.
    Thanked by:
    ultravisitor and davey11 like this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Vocal minority? If you want to compare sales figures in the last year of those with or without sdcard slots, who is gonna win?

The n4 has great hardware specs outside of storage. I am softening on the removable battery part but it is still a nice feature.

On the software side, it cannot really compare to other phones.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

How is the N4 a step backwards? Offering a top of the line phone unlocked for a reasonable price seems like a great step forward, and offers a much needed alternative to the messed up American cellular industry. It may come to Sprint or Verizon, but I really wouldn't hold my breath since CDMA is so much more limiting. Maybe once LTE becomes ubiquitous and Verizon moves away from CDMA.
    ConTejas likes this.

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Vocal minority? If you want to compare sales figures in the last year of those with or without sdcard slots, who is gonna win?

The n4 has great hardware specs outside of storage. I am softening on the removable battery part but it is still a nice feature.

On the software side, it cannot really compare to other phones.

If you don't like troll fodder, please ignore this post. Sorry lol.

Well, dude, I thought I'd be Capt. Obvious to mention the iPhones don't have either and do pretty well in sales I agree that the majority of Android phones with a removable battery/sd card greatly out numbers devices without. Why? Because 99% of Android phones EVER sold had them. Take notice that that trend is changing even outside of Nexi devices. Trust me, 99.9% of Android users that consider (cough..know) software > hardware own Nexi devices or at the very least run AOSP based custom roms on their OEM skinned devices. Obviously, I'm one of them. This is why my device with dated hardware will still seem a beast to someone who just bought a DNA, N4, Optimus G, GN2 (sorry...GS3 non international is as dated as a gnex...incrementally better hardware sans camera). You seem to be a new breed of Touch Wiz fanboi. Most would only defend it as "much better than it used to be." Either way it's clear you've never owned a Nexus or know what it's all about...cause it's the software. We'll see what song you're singing in a few months when the gs3 gets no OEM love and probably even the Nexus S is getting the latest OTA software updates from Google (with poor LTE gnex 2 months behind lol). As for dev support the Nexi trump all. Even the N1 is still getting dev love.

I am in no way trying to convince you to get a Nexus. I bought a GS3. It's still in my home and it's great. Not as great as my lte nexus to me. My gf, like most people, couldn't care less about either of them as long as it works for the few things she does with a smartphone. Just pointing out some interestly flawed logic in your posts.
    Last edited by ConTejas; 12-26-2012 at 02:51 PM.

ROM
    Viper

Sorry to offend the nexus toting elitists that seem to inhabit these forums. I thought it was better this time with the n4 than the gnex, but apparently I was wrong.

The n4 is a step back towards a developer phone. The gimped memory and no cdma or lte make it so. Google wants a devise to be sold cheaply so devs can afford it and del for the platform. Also, no one outside of the Internet knows what a nexus phone is. They now know the n7, but know nothing about the n4 because you can't fine them at retailers. I have personally never seen one and it is not because I have not looked.

This is why it would be great for Google to make 2 phones. 1 for devs and one for the rest of us that want stock android more storage and lte/cdma. That way everyone can be happy and android can have a true flagship instead of devise that has compromises just so it can be sold cheaply.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)

ROM
    KK+Xposed+GB+Franco=Win

Much to the contrary, I've found this particular forum to have some of the nicest and most helpful enthusiasts, not elitists, in the few years I've been visiting smartphone forums. Sure, we like our devices and the Nexus experience/ideals. This is a Nexus forum. I frequent plenty of other device forums just to stay informed or kill time. Rarely if ever post in them, but I visit. I challenge you to find any number of Nexus owners trolling other forums touting how our devices are so much better. You'll find plenty of ABC device trolls in the Nexus forums. I suppose you may say elitists because I often see Nexi owners respond to "OMG 8/16gb storage and no sd card = biggest fail Google's going to burn with "so find another device that suits your needs...Google/Nexi will be fine." To me, that not snooty it's just good, solid advice. If someone comes in here spewing illogical or misinformed comments we're happy to set them straight whether touting a Nexus, OEM Android, iPhone, or Windows phone.. Here's another one for ya...any Nexus cannot "take a step back towards a developer phone" because that's exactly what the program was designed to do. If anything, it's moved forward to the general masses. You can't find a N4 in the wild because they're literally selling them faster than they can manufactuer them. So much so people are happily paying nearly twice what Google is selling them for via the play store. If that's a step back I'm sure Google and partners/retailers will take two Oh, btw memory = RAM, not storage. Plus, cdma/lte doesn't mean diddly squat to most of THE WORLD. Sorry if these facts offend you

Google Nexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LG Nexus 4 Still Popular Despite Expensive Price and Limited Supply [VIDEO] - International Business Times
    Google Nexus 4 (LG) Online Price At $600 Due To Low Inventory | PopHerald.com
    Thanked by:
    luke31 and davey11 like this.

So, not having lte/cdma makes the n4 a fail? Verizon is one tiny speck in the sea of worldwide carriers so it's a failure if it don't operate on vz. Alrighty.

Sent from my mako ()
    ConTejas likes this.

ROM
    Viper

Lol the way yall are replying are kind of proving my elitist comment...

I never once said that it was a failure for not being cdma. I did imply that it made it inaccessible for a very large portion of the American market which I would speculate is the largest market in the world(plus last time I checked there were other cdma carriers in the world even if they are minority).

Actually I never said it was a failure in any way. I said it made compromises for cost and was less of a flagship devise for storage and network constraints. Sorry of that is offensive to some of you but it's the truth...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by NoYankees44 View Post
    Lol the way yall are replying are kind of proving my elitist comment...

I never once said that it was a failure for not being cdma. I did imply that it made it inaccessible for a very large portion of the American market which I would speculate is the largest market in the world(plus last time I checked there were other cdma carriers in the world even if they are minority).

Actually I never said it was a failure in any way. I said it made compromises for cost and was less of a flagship devise for storage and network constraints. Sorry of that is offensive to some of you but it's the truth...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    I agree with you totally but need to correct one thing. China has the largest cdma carrier at well over 100m. While tat carrier is rolling out lte, they are committed to cdma.

To enhance your point, you can now picture this. Worldwide, google is cutting off a population the size of the us and canada from the n4. They previously included that population and are now stepping backwards with its exclusion.

Sent from my PMID1000B using Android Central Forum
    Thanked by:

Don't worry be happy. It's all good.

Sent from my mako ()
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    If you don't like troll fodder, please ignore this post. Sorry lol.

Well, dude, I thought I'd be Capt. Obvious to mention the iPhones don't have either and do pretty well in sales I agree that the majority of Android phones with a removable battery/sd card greatly out numbers devices without. Why? Because 99% of Android phones EVER sold had them. Take notice that that trend is changing even outside of Nexi devices. Trust me, 99.9% of Android users that consider (cough..know) software > hardware own Nexi devices or at the very least run AOSP based custom roms on their OEM skinned devices. Obviously, I'm one of them. This is why my device with dated hardware will still seem a beast to someone who just bought a DNA, N4, Optimus G, GN2 (sorry...GS3 non international is as dated as a gnex...incrementally better hardware sans camera). You seem to be a new breed of Touch Wiz fanboi. Most would only defend it as "much better than it used to be." Either way it's clear you've never owned a Nexus or know what it's all about...cause it's the software. We'll see what song you're singing in a few months when the gs3 gets no OEM love and probably even the Nexus S is getting the latest OTA software updates from Google (with poor LTE gnex 2 months behind lol). As for dev support the Nexi trump all. Even the N1 is still getting dev love.

I am in no way trying to convince you to get a Nexus. I bought a GS3. It's still in my home and it's great. Not as great as my lte nexus to me. My gf, like most people, couldn't care less about either of them as long as it works for the few things she does with a smartphone. Just pointing out some interestly flawed logic in your posts.
    OK Captain Obvious-ly wrong. You stated "by reading these forums but those people are simply a vocal minority based on sales figure of devices without them." I didn't realize this was an all encompassing mobile phone forum but an Android forum that also has sections for other phones. The majority of Android Phones that were sold, had SDcard slots. One of its largest sellers, the Galaxy Nexus sold a whopping 512000 units in 2 quarters. The SGS3 sold 10 times that in 2 months. Now you say the trends are changing, but the truth is, your wrong. Hit phonescoop.com and check the cell phones released in the last 45 days. I believe that there are 30 listed and all of 3 have no card slot. I personally am fine with the slot going away as soon as the storage minimum is 64GB. By the Nexus 4 putting only 16GB in there is just poor for a flagship phone. It sets a trend and a very bad one.

Moving forward, you say it is all about the software. I agree with you. The software on the SGS3 is much better than AOSP. I do subscribe to just saying "it is better than it used to be". It used to be that it had better features, but overall the UI bogged the phone down and turned the user experience into crap. I full accept that 2 years ago the Nexus was the way to go for a good Android experience. Last year the gap closed. 2012 saw the Nexus fall behind. The only thing the Nexus has going for it is that it gets updates right away. That is nothing but a construct of the Apple culture. 75% of people just don't care about that. They care about the features that they can use in every day life. The Samsung line gives them way more options than the Nexus. Why? I have said it 1000 times. I have everything the Nexus has, plus more. Let me put it another way, I have more features and a better overall experience (software wise) on the SGS3 than on a Nexus. There are just more options. Back to the lag from a skinned OS. It is gone. The skins do not affect performance anymore. They may look like crap (yes TW is ugly) but I prefer Apex anyway and would use it on a Nexus. If it is all about the software then skins > AOSP. If you meant to say that it is all about the latest AOSP software, then you would be right Nexus > all else, but as these forums can testify, sometimes being on the bleeding edge means more issues.

ROM
    Stock (for now)

On second thought, I really wouldn't be surprised if there were a Sprint Nexus 4, but it may take a while. However, given how disastrous the Galaxy Nexus was on Verizon (exclusive deal, Verizon kept delaying it, sales were disappointing, lots of returns due to faulty hardware), I don't think we'll see another Nexus on Verizon, and understandably so. It was a headache for everyone.

If they want one, they will have it. People thinking Google hates Verizon over the G Nex are waayyyyy off base.

Verizon doesn't want a Nexus, they only want Samsung iDroids and iPhones that they can monetize, and the type of customers who buy them. The worst thing that could happen to a company like Verizon is to get customers who are open to other ideas, and have a desire to investigate them. That's when people start to understand that the TV lies, and there are other options.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리

Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cm 10/Franco

Would anyone seriously think that Google would not offer their flagship device on the biggest carrier in America? Yes they dropped the ball badly this time. I mean come on even the i phone has 4g. Apple is laughing all the way to the bank while Google sells a few phones with an antiquated 3g setup. Apple is heading in the right direction while Google is stuck in 2007

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    BB World Edition->Moto Droid->BB Tour->Moto RAZR->Samsung Galaxy Nexus->Google Nexus 7->iPhone 5
    Always remember to wipe your Davlik!!!
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    If they want one, they will have it. .
    I think this is the bottom line - VZW doesn't want a Nexus.

Global Posts
    95 Global Posts

I have two assumptions.

1. Verizon wants control, and Google wants to keep the pure Google experience without all the Verizon crap.

2. Google is trying to reduce fragmentation. If they can have one model to sell, and with many users on At&t, t-mobile, straight talk, and other GSM carriers in the US, they won't have any problem making money without Verizon.

Verizon doesn't WANT it, and Google doesn't NEED Verizon.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
    Blackberry 8330 / HTC Hero / Motorola Milestone / Motorola Milestone X / Motorola Photon / Apple iPhone 4 / Motorola Droid Bionic / Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX / Verizon Galaxy Nexus / iPhone 5 / Samsung Galaxy S4
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast