Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 57 of 57
Like Tree29Likes
  1. #51  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    Much to the contrary, I've found this particular forum to have some of the nicest and most helpful enthusiasts, not elitists, in the few years I've been visiting smartphone forums. Sure, we like our devices and the Nexus experience/ideals. This is a Nexus forum. I frequent plenty of other device forums just to stay informed or kill time. Rarely if ever post in them, but I visit. I challenge you to find any number of Nexus owners trolling other forums touting how our devices are so much better. You'll find plenty of ABC device trolls in the Nexus forums. I suppose you may say elitists because I often see Nexi owners respond to "OMG 8/16gb storage and no sd card = biggest fail Google's going to burn with "so find another device that suits your needs...Google/Nexi will be fine." To me, that not snooty it's just good, solid advice. If someone comes in here spewing illogical or misinformed comments we're happy to set them straight whether touting a Nexus, OEM Android, iPhone, or Windows phone.. Here's another one for ya...any Nexus cannot "take a step back towards a developer phone" because that's exactly what the program was designed to do. If anything, it's moved forward to the general masses. You can't find a N4 in the wild because they're literally selling them faster than they can manufactuer them. So much so people are happily paying nearly twice what Google is selling them for via the play store. If that's a step back I'm sure Google and partners/retailers will take two Oh, btw memory = RAM, not storage. Plus, cdma/lte doesn't mean diddly squat to most of THE WORLD. Sorry if these facts offend you

    Google Nexus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    LG Nexus 4 Still Popular Despite Expensive Price and Limited Supply [VIDEO] - International Business Times
    Google Nexus 4 (LG) Online Price At $600 Due To Low Inventory | PopHerald.com
    Quote Originally Posted by ConTejas View Post
    If you don't like troll fodder, please ignore this post. Sorry lol.

    Well, dude, I thought I'd be Capt. Obvious to mention the iPhones don't have either and do pretty well in sales I agree that the majority of Android phones with a removable battery/sd card greatly out numbers devices without. Why? Because 99% of Android phones EVER sold had them. Take notice that that trend is changing even outside of Nexi devices. Trust me, 99.9% of Android users that consider (cough..know) software > hardware own Nexi devices or at the very least run AOSP based custom roms on their OEM skinned devices. Obviously, I'm one of them. This is why my device with dated hardware will still seem a beast to someone who just bought a DNA, N4, Optimus G, GN2 (sorry...GS3 non international is as dated as a gnex...incrementally better hardware sans camera). You seem to be a new breed of Touch Wiz fanboi. Most would only defend it as "much better than it used to be." Either way it's clear you've never owned a Nexus or know what it's all about...cause it's the software. We'll see what song you're singing in a few months when the gs3 gets no OEM love and probably even the Nexus S is getting the latest OTA software updates from Google (with poor LTE gnex 2 months behind lol). As for dev support the Nexi trump all. Even the N1 is still getting dev love.

    I am in no way trying to convince you to get a Nexus. I bought a GS3. It's still in my home and it's great. Not as great as my lte nexus to me. My gf, like most people, couldn't care less about either of them as long as it works for the few things she does with a smartphone. Just pointing out some interestly flawed logic in your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    If they want one, they will have it. People thinking Google hates Verizon over the G Nex are waayyyyy off base.

    Verizon doesn't want a Nexus, they only want Samsung iDroids and iPhones that they can monetize, and the type of customers who buy them. The worst thing that could happen to a company like Verizon is to get customers who are open to other ideas, and have a desire to investigate them. That's when people start to understand that the TV lies, and there are other options.
    Your iNexus roots are showing but I get what your saying. Either your a bit off base or didn't articulate it but the way that they want to make money is by roping your into their system. Verizon could care less if you have a Samsung, Moto, or ZTE phone. They want you on contract. That is one thing that is not really gonna change much though. As long as they dangle the 12$ phone (with contract) people will buy into it. I am assuming that the "lies" you are talking about is the amount of money they "save" that way. If it other I would haveto question that.

    Google needs to be the one to step up and give the consumer the choice. Make the system modular one layer OS, one layer UI. Make it easy to disable the UI layer and just have the "barebones" ui if the consumer want it. This will at least accomplish one of your goals, educating the consumer. They can choose to learn what it is like to have a skinless UI if they want.

    Also it would solve another problem. You would eliminate the fragmentation of the OS. Google could push out the underlying OS without interference of the carrier or the OEM as long as they do not break anything with the API.
  2. #52  

    Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Your iNexus roots are showing but I get what your saying. Either your a bit off base or didn't articulate it but the way that they want to make money is by roping your into their system. Verizon could care less if you have a Samsung, Moto, or ZTE phone. They want you on contract. That is one thing that is not really gonna change much though. As long as they dangle the 12$ phone (with contract) people will buy into it. I am assuming that the "lies" you are talking about is the amount of money they "save" that way. If it other I would haveto question that.
    People that use their phones as intended gravitate towards phones like the GS3 or the iPhone. They use Instagram, or Facebook, or send texts to friends. They don't care about app development, inner workings of kernels, how to steal services, latest versions, or anything of the sort. These are the people Verizon wants as customers more than anything. It's a guaranteed $90 monthly and no headache. To Verizon, these customers are valuable.

    People interested in things that go beyond what Verizon and Apple or Samsung have to offer will look for it. They will build their own "custom" OS using applications from Google Play. Or they will root and hack their phone. Or they will write their own apps and their own OS. They are the type of people who visit online forums filled with people that hate Verizon and their logo on buttons, or their bootloader policies. They are the people who care enough to return a phone 11 times because a pixel is stuck, or because they keep breaking it with scripts. Verizon hates those kinds of customers. These are also the people who realize there are options that are not Verizon, and leave for greener pastures. Verizon doesn't want these kinds of customers. They have zero interest in attracting this sort of person.

    If you bought a GS3 and hacked it, you're just a statistic. You're that 1% of the userbase who wasn't caught up in the ad on TV. When a Nexus device on another carrier suits your needs, you'll leave. You (the metaphorical you, not you personally) want a Nexus on a cheap carrier that suits your needs. You're looking for one. Verizon will take your money while they can, but won't cater to your wants. They are interested in the people who aren't looking, and never will -- there are plenty of them.

    This works for Verizon, and they make an insane amount of money in a time when nobody seems to have any. If they did things any differently, they would not be fulfilling their commitment to their shareholders.

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Google needs to be the one to step up and give the consumer the choice. Make the system modular one layer OS, one layer UI. Make it easy to disable the UI layer and just have the "barebones" ui if the consumer want it. This will at least accomplish one of your goals, educating the consumer. They can choose to learn what it is like to have a skinless UI if they want.

    Also it would solve another problem. You would eliminate the fragmentation of the OS. Google could push out the underlying OS without interference of the carrier or the OEM as long as they do not break anything with the API.
    That would be up to the vendor building the software, not Google. It won't happen, because vendors want you to use their applications instead of downloading other ones. It's working well, as even HTC made millions last quarter. Android is nothing more than 3 million lines of code -- it's not a finished product. The only say Google has in any of this is covered in the Android compatibility test to see if a device is allowed to use Google's apps. Everything else is left to the people building the phones.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
  3. #53  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,767 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post

    If you bought a GS3 and hacked it, you're just a statistic. You're that 1% of the userbase who wasn't caught up in the ad on TV. When a Nexus device on another carrier suits your needs, you'll leave. You (the metaphorical you, not you personally) want a Nexus on a cheap carrier that suits your needs. You're looking for one. Verizon will take your money while they can, but won't cater to your wants. They are interested in the people who aren't looking, and never will -- there are plenty of them.
    I fall into this category personally but I have to say at this point there never will be a Nexus that meets my needs. Some cal lit gimmicks, but the stuff that TW throws in there right now I use regularly. Some of these things either the Nexus will never have or will always be behind the OEM in developing them. Why? Simply because the OEM needs to differentiate themselves from all the others so they are looking at the next "Gimmick" to help sell the phone. Again, many iNexus users say they are gimmicks, but to me they are features. Sure you can tell me all day long to go looking for an app that will do something, but why waste the time if it works right out of the box? Why deal with going through a ton of apps that don't work to find one that might. My time is a bit more valuable than that, especially since then I am going to have to look at ads from the app. Buy them you say? OK now you have increased the price of owning the phone and wasted my time. One of these days someone should find out just how much it would cost to add in the features of the SGS3 to the Nexus and see where you end up as a total. Yes when I do find a stock thing that sucks, I go and look for the replacement (I am looking at you messaging app) but those are kinda few and far between.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    That would be up to the vendor building the software, not Google. It won't happen, because vendors want you to use their applications instead of downloading other ones. It's working well, as even HTC made millions last quarter. Android is nothing more than 3 million lines of code -- it's not a finished product. The only say Google has in any of this is covered in the Android compatibility test to see if a device is allowed to use Google's apps. Everything else is left to the people building the phones.
    Simple solution. Make it part of the Android compatibility test (more than likely in the Platform API Tests). If it doesnt pass it does not get Android Certified. Then you have a certification program. Only those devices that pass the test are certified. If it doesnt carry the seal, you get what you paid for. I would be willing to bet that most OEMs would be ok with that, and the carriers would not have too much to say in it.
  4. #54  
    Scott Kenyon's Avatar

    Posts
    2,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,204 Global Posts
    ROM
    MoDaCo Switch Beta 8

    Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    I don't really get this whole conversation. I can sum all this talk up into two words. Use case.
    Some people like the phone out of the box. They want it to just work using svoice or whatever features they saw. Others like to root and rom the device. Some others like the industrial design so they but it and write apps to gain the functionality they desire.
    My personal use case used to be root and rom. Do some tinkering. Get the latest version of the OS. I would spend countless hours tinkering to explore and learn and add in cool stuff. The gnex was perfect for that and I adore it as a tinkerer's handset.
    Recently my use case changed. Now I spend a lot more time working and playing with my kid. When I get to have free time I play ingress. That's why I just picked up a note 2. I want the big huge battery and to fool around with the pen. I'll probably still root/rom it after awhile but I do not have hours to pour into the phone. If I did I'd probably be getting the Nexus 4.
    At the end of the day, are you enjoying Verizon service? Do you like their phones? Are you ok with your bill?
    There's a reason I chose to buy the AT&T note 2. I'm writing this from my Verizon gnex. I'm going to give straight talk a shot and try to lower my bill. This is based on the questions above, and now with my change in use case is the perfect time for me to learn and explore.
    What works for me is different than what works for Jerry Hildebrand. And both of our cases probably won't work for whoever is reading this.
    Go out and do your own thing and be happy for Christ's sake

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums.

    If I have been helpful to you, please go to the store, buy a bunch of beer, and send it to my house.
  5. #55  

    Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    I certainly hope not!! I was an ***** early adopter and bought the GNex from Verizon the day it came out. I had suffered through the Fascinate update drought for a 2 year contract and I was ready to get out of the stone age and into a more modern age. What I got was promises and lies. The point is, when it comes to devices and service, Verizon is a cellular carrier that cells phones. They are NOT a software company and it shows!! Apple is another company that tries to be a software company, but really is a consumer electronics company. Their software offerings are LOCKED DOWN because they do not want to deal with customer or developer upgrades. On the other hand Microsoft IS a software company. People like to complain, but upgrades happen with Microsoft Tuesday of each week unless it is more urgent and then they come out whenever. Sure, they lock down their software and limit external development, but they fully understand that in the software business - like $hit, UPGRADES HAPPEN! The gadget dealers (think Apple and Verizon) think software is PART of their devices and they will upgrade it if it suits THEIR need, and their need only. And before you say it Apple fanboys, I know all about IOS upgrades and don't kid yourself, they only come out when Apple is damn good and ready, not when YOU want or need them. Remember the maps issue???

    So what is a long suffering GNEX owner to do? I know in my case I am a 12+ year Verizon customer and I am for the moment, grandfathered into unlimted data. So changing companies is not a good option. An going with their new "Share Anything" plan is yet another huge ripoff because it is a price increase disguised as new customer "options." Add it up, it only costs more for less! So tolerating a company that has lied to me and not delivered on its promise over my last two phones is not in the cards either. Verizon has ripped me off for the past 4 years on 2 phones that did not deliver on their promise, and a service that gouges me at every turn and my solution is........do to them what they are doing to me! I now rip them off. My GNEX is rooted and has a Jellybean ROM I can update daily if I choose!! I can bluetooth tether it at no additional cost. I can USB tether it at no additional cost. And it does not have a single stitch of Verizon bloatware on it. So in the end I have the REAL NEXUS experience, without all the provider BS. And Verizon can kiss my southern end if they don't like it.
    Last edited by ursharkfuel; 02-07-2013 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Correction of spelling
  6. #56  

    Default Re: Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    Quote Originally Posted by ursharkfuel View Post
    . So in the end I have the REAL NEXUS experience, without all the provider BS. And Verizon can kiss my southern end if they don't like it.
    Rooting and Romming is not the Real Nexus Experience. Never is, never was. Stock Android is.
    If you want to take a developer's reference device and make a toy out of it, that's more possible than with any consumer phone, but was never Google's intention.
  7. #57  
    c_Hacks Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    122 Global Posts

    Default Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

    They never got a Nexus. Not when they put their crap on the GNex and delayed Google's updates. They ruin the Nexus brand. They should have stuck with BBs.
    MikeOM likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Will Verizon ever get a nexus phone?
    By JustBlaze330 in forum Verizon
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-04-2011, 04:38 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2011, 08:19 PM
  3. MLBtv App. Will Android ever get this?
    By marko358 in forum Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-03-2010, 03:21 PM
  4. will tmobile ever get a respectable device?
    By CarliCruise in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 08:12 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-18-2010, 11:26 PM

Posting Permissions