Will VZN ever get another Nexus?

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I cut my monthly in half by dumping vz. I had strong lte and unlimited. If you can't live without those then by all means stay with them. I am smiling all the way to the bank with my n4.
I will cut my bill by 2/3 when I try tmos $30 unlimited plan soon.

Sent from my mako :)p)

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I cut my monthly in half by dumping vz. I had strong lte and unlimited. If you can't live without those then by all means stay with them. I am smiling all the way to the bank with my n4.

Sent from my mako :)p)

I did the same thing. I couldn't justify spending nearly $100 a month when the T-Mobile $30 plan gets me great speeds on HSPA+.
As far as I am concerned, Verizon screwed the pooch with their Galaxy Nexus. If someone wants a new Nexus, let them leave and save money.

Sent from my Nexus 4

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I don't think this is a question where speculation -- no matter how speculative -- will lead anywhere anymore. It's been asked before, and as much as I hate to say it, the answer is still that it is unlikely, but not impossible. If a future Nexus phone reaches Verizon, it will likely not be a top priority. In order for the phone to receive the treatment it deserves on Big Red, it needs to be worth it to Verizon. Until the Nexus phones hold a comparable market placement (whether it be in direct market share or consumer attention/recognition/knowledge) to the flagship Verizon phones of the primary Android manufacturers, the Nexus line doesn't offer Verizon the incentives it looks for in new devices.

Google has made a significant shift over the past six months in the branding and meaning of 'Nexus.' No longer is it just a new phone each year to showcase what's new in Android; 'Nexus' is now a line of devices running a smooth, 'pure' version of Google's mobile operating system with exemplary integration with its services such as Google Now. Furthermore, the marketing push and commercialization/recognition efforts are now underway. This shift by Google is what will push -- and already is pushing -- the Nexus line forward, and this shift is what will eventually build the Nexus line to the point where it can stand in the same crowd as the S3 and RAZR MAXX HD in Verizon's eyes.

It's a tipping point. Once that point is reached, we should see a bit more harmony between Google and Verizon.

Also, there are technical considerations to keep in mind. I'm going to include a quote from Andy Rubin here, via The Verge.

?We certainly have a desire to offer devices on every carrier on the planet,? Rubin said. ?The tactical issue is GSM vs. LTE. A lot of the networks that have deployed LTE haven?t scaled completely yet ? they?re hybrid networks. They?ll do their old thing and they?ll do LTE, which means the devices need both radios built into them.?

?For now we?re gonna sit back and watch those networks evolve. Two radios in a device right now certainly raises the cost, and diminishes battery life.? This point seems to frustrate him. ?When we did the Galaxy Nexus with LTE we had to do just that, and it just wasn?t a great user experience. It?s possible to do it right, but that?s not where we?ll put our resources initially. Tactically, we want to make sure the devices are available for every network on the planet.?

The fewer builds of a device the easier it is to build, deploy, and maintain -- especially when each build may represent additional requirements to support, such as pushing updates to Verizon instead of to the devices.

Disclaimer: I'm tired. If something doesn't make sense, I'll fix it in the morning.. :)

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

I am afraid to give up unlimited data because I don't know what the future will bring but it seems like whatever it will bring, it will require using more and more data. And when you live somewhere you get a strong 4G LTE signal, it is soooooo nice. I can use my laptop on the beach with my phone as a mobile hotspot!

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Google has made a significant shift over the past six months in the branding and meaning of 'Nexus.' No longer is it just a new phone each year to showcase what's new in Android; 'Nexus' is now a line of devices running a smooth, 'pure' version of Google's mobile operating system with exemplary integration with its services such as Google Now. Furthermore, the marketing push and commercialization/recognition efforts are now underway. This shift by Google is what will push -- and already is pushing -- the Nexus line forward, and this shift is what will eventually build the Nexus line to the point where it can stand in the same crowd as the S3 and RAZR MAXX HD in Verizon's eyes.

Thanks, that is very helpful! It is what I feared, though. Drats.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, that is very helpful! It is what I feared, though. Drats.

Yep, but it certainly isn't bad news. The Nexus line is already impressive, I look forward to the next twelve months and the elusive prospect of Motorola jumping into the fray as Google's acquisition starts to show in terms of what Motorola brings to the table. This is around the time where we should begin seeing fruits of development processes that began after the acquisition, as opposed to before.

Motorola's new commercials featuring the RAZR and showcasing Google Now's abilities are, in my opinion, partially due to the new relationship.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
They will see another. I don't think the n4 is out of the question. One thing though, it will never compete with a phone like the sgs3. Not and still run pure android. A pure device is just to barebones to be able to compete. Sure you will get new features but the sgs3 will get those same features plus whatever the oem adds in.

You just cannot catch up running pure android.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
YES!!!
But two things need to happen first;

1. Verizon phases out there 3G CDMA network and moves to an exclusively 4G LTE.
This will take away the control they have over there current network (CDMA) and get rid of the need for a 2nd radio.

2. The Nexus phones needs to have a huge increase in consumer demand, much like the Iphone has.
This will force Verizon's to carry Google devices and under Google's terms.

This is the only way i see Verizon teaming up with Google/Nexus Line. It will take some time, but we will eventually see it happen.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Another option that I could see becoming available is Verizon getting pure Google non-Nexus device. I am thinking something similar to the original Droid. This would allow users to still have a pure Google experience, but tempers the expectations of quick updates that come with Nexus devices. This device would afford a Nexus like experience while still allowing Verizon to drag their feet on software updates.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
To know the true answer to this, one of two things need to happen.

1. Verizon goes out of business.

2. Google stops making Nexus-branded devices.

Never say never.

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Once this happens, you can buy an unlocked Nexus directly from Google that has a 4G LTE radio, no?

Yes and no. There are multiple bands of LTE, so it would still depend on the hardware and software configuration. As it is, it has been demonstrated that the Nexus 4 can run on the AWS bands of LTE, but none other as currently configured.

Sent from my Nexus 4

xFORTRESSx

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Big red might not get a nexus in the traditional sense but what if they get the "X" phone? It would be made by Google/Motorola, would be a top of the line device and be a pure android experience.
I'm with Verizon until the end of 2013 and am holding out for either a newer nexus, the "X" or if it doesn't go into a tablet size range.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

WannaBeYou

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Big red might not get a nexus in the traditional sense but what if they get the "X" phone? It would be made by Google/Motorola, would be a top of the line device and be a pure android experience.
I'm with Verizon until the end of 2013 and am holding out for either a newer nexus, the "X" or even the Saif it doesn't go into a tablet size range.

Would the X phone have an easily unlockable bootloader?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15