Pictures not showing up in Gallery *solved*

Techboy10

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
****False alarm, problem solved. Just needed to go into the file browser and open a picture from there, then all the others showed up just fine.

Last edited:

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm replying to this to provide a likely solution to this issue for those who find this thread while searching for a fix to this problem.

There's a component of Android running on your phone known as the media scanner service. This service is responsible for, in short, 'indexing' the media files on the device and providing a reference to these files to applications which request such existent media -- i.e. the Gallery or Music apps. Occasionally the media scanner does get 'confused' -- for lack of a better term -- and may skip over or ignore files for any number of reasons. Sometimes, rebooting the device will fix the issue; the media scanner performs a full indexing when the device is powered on. However, if this is not the case, you'll need to manually trigger the scanner service to re-scan the available storage. There are applications in the Play Store that will do this for you programmatically.

Here are two such applications, with no endorsements or guarantees from me.

It's likely that by using a file browser application to load, browse through, and select a file, the media scanner correctly identified and reported the image files you weren't seeing in the gallery.

vleeshhd

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I've got a similar issue with music. I can find the music files on the SDCard in my Samsung Galaxy Ace phone by going to My files but when I run the Music App, it cannot see them.
I've removed the nomedia files from the SDcard; didn't fix it.
I've installed the Rescan SD Card app and ran that; didn't fix it.
I've reformatted the SD card, then copied the files back; didn't fix it.
Help please!

eddieshelton

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Pictures not showing up in Gallery

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 and the photos I take on my phone don't upload to the Gallery. The photos can be found under Myfiles/Images but my gallery is completely empty. I have downloaded the scan media app but this has not helped. How can I get my photos to automatically upload into the Gallery?
Thanks for your help

rwilkidroid

Jun 4, 2013
Visit site
sadly it's not working for me. so frustrating that the join function is joining the contacts but not the photos. it worked at first.

Thanks,
Bob

Rahul Kumar16

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
download Fx file explorer from google play and thn click on tools thn click on scan media, it will take several minute but it will defintly help u. :):)

Last edited by a moderator:

niemczkj

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I'm actually developing an android app for the first time. I've run across this issue because my app will allow uses to take photos during the process. This is probably the wrong forum for this, but is there a way to programmatically FORCE the media scanner service to run? This is really irritating.

Edit: Nevermind. Figured it out.

jamartignoni

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm replying to this to provide a likely solution to this issue for those who find this thread while searching for a fix to this problem.

There's a component of Android running on your phone known as the media scanner service. This service is responsible for, in short, 'indexing' the media files on the device and providing a reference to these files to applications which request such existent media -- i.e. the Gallery or Music apps. Occasionally the media scanner does get 'confused' -- for lack of a better term -- and may skip over or ignore files for any number of reasons. Sometimes, rebooting the device will fix the issue; the media scanner performs a full indexing when the device is powered on. However, if this is not the case, you'll need to manually trigger the scanner service to re-scan the available storage. There are applications in the Play Store that will do this for you programmatically.

Here are two such applications, with no endorsements or guarantees from me.

It's likely that by using a file browser application to load, browse through, and select a file, the media scanner correctly identified and reported the image files you weren't seeing in the gallery.

Scan Media App listed above worked for me on my LG G2. Thanks Patrick

John Cech

Oct 7, 2014
Visit site
As seems so often turning off the electronic device and re-starting it solves the problem. All my pictures were in gallery but were grayed out. I could not take a picture either. Turning off the phone and re-starting it solved all problems.

Thanks for this obvious suggestion.

trisha13

Dec 12, 2014
Visit site
im getting really up set, most of pictures are there, I took a video of my sons xmas play today and its not there, I took 2 pics after show and they are there in my gallery but video and some previous pic are not,, I didn't change any settings, ive tried all above options but none have worked, please help, thanks.

Mohan Verma

Jan 13, 2015
Visit site
No worries , the same had happened even with me . And i did as follows Solution 1 Note :Do the steps for both Internal and external Card
-> Go to File manager -> Android -> Data -> com.android.gallery3d . Delete this folder ( com.android.gallery3d ) in both internal and external card . Then do the next step . -> Go to Settings -> Apps / Application manager -> Search for Gallery -> Open gallery and Click on Clear Data . -> Then switch off your phone and wait for few minutes ( say 2-3 min ) and then switch On and wait for few min. Thats it now All images and videos are showing in Gallery

Solution 2 -> Go to the respective Folders where images / videos are stored and Go to settings > Show hidden file . And see if there is .NOMEDIA file . If there is such file then delete it . - Then siwtch off and switch on .Thats it

mastersioco

Jan 23, 2015
Visit site
No worries , the same had happened even with me . And i did as follows Solution 1 Note :Do the steps for both Internal and external Card
-> Go to File manager -> Android -> Data -> com.android.gallery3d . Delete this folder ( com.android.gallery3d ) in both internal and external card . Then do the next step . -> Go to Settings -> Apps / Application manager -> Search for Gallery -> Open gallery and Click on Clear Data . -> Then switch off your phone and wait for few minutes ( say 2-3 min ) and then switch On and wait for few min. Thats it now All images and videos are showing in Gallery

Solution 2 -> Go to the respective Folders where images / videos are stored and Go to settings > Show hidden file . And see if there is .NOMEDIA file . If there is such file then delete it . - Then siwtch off and switch on .Thats it

I've got the same problem wherein my gallery don't show anything, but a big space was chewed up by photos. I'd tried Ms Verma's suggestion but didn't work on my phone..One thing is that my phone was doing auto back-up repeatedly making 20 photos into hundreds but not appearing on my gallery..i dont know it could be found..I already tried Hard reset but didn't worked too.. please Help Thanks..

Vanessa Ascencio

May 5, 2015
Visit site
yes I enabled the media storage process form application manager, every thing works fine,, ty mate

Holy **** I have been googling this stupid problem for DAYS and have tried EVERYTHING that's been mentioned on here and a million other forums. THIS finally solved it for me! Thank you!

For those just finding this thread, go to Settings/ Application Manager/ All/ Media Storage and then delete the cache, clear data, force stop, and then turn it off and on. After that just restart and check your gallery.

Anyways thanks again!

Haris Loukopoulos

May 7, 2015
Visit site
to say the truth I tried all of the above and I could not solve it. I found the solution in between all of the solutions. 1. check if the file .nomedia exist at the folder you have the photos and the folders before. 2 enter the app manager and at the app gallery clean data, force to stop turn off and than back on. 3 the same do at the app media storage. 4 restart the device.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power