Will rooting & adding new rom improve my radio signals?

TexasNexus1

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty new to rooting, I get frustrated with poor data connections as I am mobile. I wonder if new rom would improve. Do they add new radios.? :confused:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

alongthefeed

May 7, 2012
Visit site
no they dont add any new radios i also live in a poor signal area and wondered the same my battery drains like 10% a minute here hope that helps :)

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Radios are flashed to your phone separately from the ROM, kernel, and recovery. Flashing a custom ROM won't update your radios, but flashing an OTA update package would change them if the OTA included a radio update.

Here is zero's thread for the Galaxy Nexus radios, and here's the one on RootzWiki. If you're already on the most up-to-date radios, there is very little you can do to improve your signal strength other than by removing interference/relocating yourself.

;)

Edit: something to keep in mind is that battery drain corresponds more to raw signal strength than it does to whether or not you're actively using the data connection. The biggest hit will be a poor LTE signal -- I would suggest simply switching LTE off if it is a significant problem.