Question on trading GNEX for a S3

crawlman110

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I have owned the GNEX since September 2011 and have finally been fed up with the signal issues. Im not very tech savy so i just figured it was the service being my problem. Yet my girlfriend just recieved a Samsung S3 and we will sit home and i will have 1 bar or even no service and she will have full service. This has been bothering me more and more as of late. I have since noticed even wifi connections are better on her phone then on mine. I have never called to complain or had a replacement phone sent to me through Verizon and I have read people calling customer service and being sent a S3 as a swap due to the radio probelms. My questions being if i call and get the swap would it be a refurb phone or a new one since i dont think they are the top phone on Verizon anymore. Again im not to tech savy i just wanna have good service for the amount i pay.

Thanks in advance

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I have owned the GNEX since September 2011 and have finally been fed up with the signal issues. Im not very tech savy so i just figured it was the service being my problem. Yet my girlfriend just recieved a Samsung S3 and we will sit home and i will have 1 bar or even no service and she will have full service. This has been bothering me more and more as of late. I have since noticed even wifi connections are better on her phone then on mine. I have never called to complain or had a replacement phone sent to me through Verizon and I have read people calling customer service and being sent a S3 as a swap due to the radio probelms. My questions being if i call and get the swap would it be a refurb phone or a new one since i dont think they are the top phone on Verizon anymore. Again im not to tech savy i just wanna have good service for the amount i pay.

Thanks in advance

You may be able to get them to swing for an S3, but I would be prepared to ask multiple times, explain every problem in detail, list any attempts you've made at correcting the issues, and have a long conversation (in a non-threatening manner; i.e. don't repeatedly threaten to drop them as your carrier) about it. You'll also have much better luck if you have gone through one or more replacement Nexuses, as opposed to calling and asking for a different phone after a year of problems with a specific device.

crawlman110

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I thought that was when I got it because my Verizon account shows my next eligible upgrade is August 2013. I think I got it like 2 months after it came out.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
you might want to find out when you got it. when the one year warranty is up your SOL even getting a CLN Gnex replacement much-less a gs3.

my warranty ran out 12/27/12..now mine is having boot issues and im stuck with it :/

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
If I was able to get the swap do you think it would be a new or refurbished phone?

I'd say your chances are 50/50. The SIII is getting lower on the priority list and is becoming an older device. There are newer and better phones being announced and being released, however the SIII is still a leading flagship phone. We all know how well it has done.

If you were to wait even a month or two, I think your chances might be considerably higher. Especially if phone announcements start coming out of CES.

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat.. Got my GNEX on day one (12/15/11) and it's seriously becoming unusable.. Battery life is atrocious.. no matter how many roms/kernals I flash. Going back to stock was worse... My battery will literally run out in 6 hours or so, even if the phone is not on.. It seems to be sleeping well. It's still getting random reboots all the time.. slow as hell.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm kind of in the same boat.. Got my GNEX on day one (12/15/11) and it's seriously becoming unusable.. Battery life is atrocious.. no matter how many roms/kernals I flash. Going back to stock was worse... My battery will literally run out in 6 hours or so, even if the phone is not on.. It seems to be sleeping well. It's still getting random reboots all the time.. slow as hell.

If you haven't gotten a new battery within the last eight months, you should do that. After a year's worth of charging cycles, your battery will have a significantly reduced charge capacity. Pick up one of the OEM extended batteries; they fit behind the stock battery cover.

My battery life isn't great, but it certainly isn't atrocious -- and for reference, I leave mine on full brightness with LTE on. Running AOKP and leankernel.