Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mikestorm
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    So earlier this week I had the bright idea to carelessly toss my phone onto my countertop. Didn't think much of it, it's survived much higher falls.

    I underestimated the difference between tile and granite. Sure enough, my screen has shattered from the bottom left spreading upwards.

    I come to you guys with a question. I still have 5 months of warranty left. Should I attempt repairs myself (cheap, voids warranty) or should I get it back to stock and see if Verizon can do something and allow me to keep my warranty?

    I don't have insurance and I rock my phone naked. Just my luck, right?

    Sent from my shattered VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAssailant View Post
    So earlier this week I had the bright idea to carelessly toss my phone onto my countertop. Didn't think much of it, it's survived much higher falls.

    I underestimated the difference between tile and granite. Sure enough, my screen has shattered from the bottom left spreading upwards.

    I come to you guys with a question. I still have 5 months of warranty left. Should I attempt repairs myself (cheap, voids warranty) or should I get it back to stock and see if Verizon can do something and allow me to keep my warranty?

    I don't have insurance and I rock my phone naked. Just my luck, right?
    I can't offer much reasoning either way, except that if I were in your position, I'd go stock and try to work something out with Verizon. It's been done before.

    +1 on the "shattered" signature by the way.
  3. #3  
    turdbogls's Avatar

    Posts
    372 Posts
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    ROM
    changes all the time

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lumenii View Post
    I can't offer much reasoning either way, except that if I were in your position, I'd go stock and try to work something out with Verizon. It's been done before.

    +1 on the "shattered" signature by the way.
    how so? verizon does not cover physical damage....only software related issues. they aren't going to do anything for you....IMO

    I would try fixing it myself. seems simple enough to take the phone apart.
    You know your rooted when bootloops don't scare you anymore.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    +1 To the above post. Verizon does not care about thier customers. They will just laugh at you and offer to sell you a new one at full retail.
  5. #5  
    Nakrohtap's Avatar

    Posts
    647 Posts
    ROM
    CM10.1 Fitsnugly AOKP

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    how so? verizon does not cover physical damage....only software related issues. they aren't going to do anything for you....IMO

    I would try fixing it myself. seems simple enough to take the phone apart.
    Exactly. Manufacturer defects mostly.

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    I would try fixing it myself. seems simple enough to take the phone apart.
    Therein lies the problem. Apparently if I were to just replace the glass that would require the use if a heat gun. Otherwise I have to buy an entire screen assembly.

    However if anyone has actually replaced the glass I'd like to know how they did it, and if the users at iFixit are full of crap or not.

    Sent from my shattered VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by turdbogls View Post
    how so? verizon does not cover physical damage....only software related issues. they aren't going to do anything for you....IMO

    I would try fixing it myself. seems simple enough to take the phone apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJones1210 View Post
    +1 To the above post. Verizon does not care about thier customers. They will just laugh at you and offer to sell you a new one at full retail.
    I have been successful in working out a replacement device or other agreement with Verizon under similar circumstances, both personally and on behalf of others. Just because you haven't had such an experience doesn't mean that it cannot and does not happen. And while Verizon is certainly the least friendly of the carriers, I would not go as far as to say that they don't care about their customers. I have received almost entirely positive, helpful, and somewhat fast support and resolutions in the past.

    Why rule it out entirely just because you believe they won't be willing to do anything for you?
  8. #8  
    mikestorm's Avatar

    Posts
    374 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,002 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogrnmod 10.2

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAssailant View Post
    Therein lies the problem. Apparently if I were to just replace the glass that would require the use of a heat gun.
    You say problem, I say opportunity to buy heat gun. They cost 13 dollars at Harbor Freight. I bought a heat gun from them approximately 2 years ago for 1 project never thinking I would use it again. I've used it at least a half dozen times since then. what's the worst that could happen?
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by JJones1210 View Post
    +1 To the above post. Verizon does not care about thier customers. They will just laugh at you and offer to sell you a new one at full retail.
    In all fairness why should Verizon or any other phone company pay for damage caused by throwing your phone anywhere?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    In all fairness why should Verizon or any other phone company pay for damage caused by throwing your phone anywhere?
    Not saying they should, but everyone is entitled to an "oops" every now and then. Sometimes companies should go a step above for current and/or long time customers. Verizon is not who they once were, and have really lost focus on the customer because they have become so big (now charging $30 to upgrade your phone, no longer grandfathering unlimited data, etc).
  11. #11  
    gregs1213's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP (M5) Franco (M4)

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Nobody said they should, but if they appreciate their customer who is paying around a thousand dollars a year to them, they may want to keep them happy as a customer. It's not Verizon is paying full price for these phones either.

    Is the phone still usable? Is the screen just really cracked but it still responds to touch? If only there was a way to make it malfunction but not due to the screen...
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Well, my radios aren't working properly... but then again I'm running an old build of Bugless Beast from July because I'm busy and can't be bothered to upgrade atm.

    But the screen is still very usable. I could probably deal with it for another year, I plan on going to T-mo when my contract with VZW expires because of bandwidth caps, and the fact that I can use Google phones straight from the Play Store so no more waiting on updates.

    Sent from my shattered VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  13. #13  
    bjrosen's Avatar

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Maybe they'll let you do an early upgrade to an S3 in exchange for extending your contract for two more years.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
    Maybe they'll let you do an early upgrade to an S3
    It's not even going yo be as open as the Gnex is... no thanks.

    Quote Originally Posted by bjrosen View Post
    in exchange for extending your contract for two more years.
    Hahahahahaha, only in their dreams would I ever give up unlimited data because of a minor inconvenience.

    Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  
    bjrosen's Avatar

    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    157 Global Posts

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    There are ROMS for the SIII. I've been wondering how much harder it is to root an SIII and how hard is it for the ROM builders to stay current. A problem that we are all going to face in the future is that Verizon is probably never going to get another Nexus phone, it's clear that they are temperamentally unsuited for hosting a Nexus device. When the other networks catch up on LTE coverage that won't be a problem but for now Verizon is the only game in town for LTE with a wide footprint. Also it's not clear if future Nexus phones will be decent, the Nexus4 is a huge step backwards from the Galaxy Nexus (no LTE, no removable battery, no AMOLED screen, only 16G of FLASH). All this means that when our contracts are up we'll will probably have to go to the S4 or Motorola X but if we are still on Verizon then we will need to root the phone in order to run a current version of Android, will rooting those phones be as straight forward as it is with a Nexus?
  16. #16  
    ConTejas's Avatar

    Posts
    830 Posts
    ROM
    Super Beans n Kernels

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    No phone is as easy to root as a Nexus, but it's still just a matter of following procedures as long as the bootloader can be unlocked or cracked. Of course, that's not the case for all devices. No other device will have the development support in terms of quality and quanity, or the longevity of a Nexus/AOSP supported device. Even the S3 has already lost some support (franco kernel etc.) and will plumet when the S4 hits. Even the N1 still has plenty of dev support. For the most part, a newer Nexus only furthers development for past Nexi as long as the hardware can handle it. Of course, a new Nexus drives support for all Android devices. As for the N4 being a step backwards, you're simply crazy. It does have band 4 LTE (so it will work on T-Mobile once it's rolled out and currently Canada/Mexico use LTE band 4), it's screen is way better (if you prefer AMOLED that's just a personal preferece..and I do), it's running the baddest chipset in any device currently out, decent to great battery life...can get power packs to charge on the go, the build quality is FAR superior, storage is personal - I'd be more than fine with 16GB, last but certainly not least....it's $350 unlocked. That's a cutting edge tech device for 1/2 the price of any of its competition....and it will stay fresh and new for a long time since it's a Nexus. There will be and are some sweet devices on Verizon, but I'll be taking my business elsewhere if they can't figure out a way to get Nexi devices once my contract is up...even with my gf unlimited data. Fortunately, there's plenty of life in my gnex.
  17. #17  
    Channan's Avatar
    Keyboard Warrior

    Posts
    573 Posts
    Global Posts
    574 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Why would you put the spoiler in the title? I almost didn't even read the thread because of that. 😒
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

    Default Re: Galaxy Nexus vs. Granite Countertop. Spoiler: GNex loses.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAssailant View Post
    It's not even going yo be as open as the Gnex is... no thanks.



    Hahahahahaha, only in their dreams would I ever give up unlimited data because of a minor inconvenience.

    Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums
    I should mention I've now given up my unlimited to take an upgrade for an S4... Awkward...

    And I haven't responded in a while because college does that. Oops.

    Sent from my shattered, re-stocked VZW Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Similar Threads

  1. Screen Battle: Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S II
    By reflekt2099 in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-12-2011, 03:34 AM
  2. Galaxy Nexus vs Iphone 4s
    By ItalianDroid in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-21-2011, 09:53 PM
  3. Galaxy Nexus vs. Galaxy Note - Thoughts?
    By adp192 in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 02:57 PM
  4. Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S II? Which should be my next phone?
    By jtc276 in forum Google / Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-20-2011, 10:48 AM
  5. Galaxy Nexus vs Nexus Prime
    By TerryMasters in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

B