Galaxy Nexus 4.2 and Verizon playing favorites

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I don't like iOS but I will say one thing about Apple. The BS that Verizon has pulled with the Galaxy Nexus will NEVER be allowed to happen with the iPhone.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I don't see how Apple can roll out a new version of iOS on the same date to all carriers, but an Android update has to be delayed for special Verizon network testing. When iOS 6 rolled out on whatever date it was last fall it was available to everyone on all carriers. This is easy to remember because it was also the start of the Apple Maps fiasco.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
This is because...

1. The iPhone is a much more wanted device than any Android phone. Not even comparable. When Verizon passed on the iPhone deal the first time -- partly because of Apple's insistence on many things including being able to push out updates on their schedule -- Verizon lost out on tens of millions of users. Giving in to Apple's strict demands for the iPhone ultimately makes much more money sense.. Even if Google wanted to be super strict with their own Nexus update policy, the demand for the device is just not nearly even close to enough for Verizon to cave in for them too.

2. Apple employs in-house testers for all the major networks who do most of the testing work ahead of any iOS software update. So by the time Apple is ready to release it, it's been pretty thoroughly tested on the network.

Point 1 is the major factor though. A company will adjust their policies when it means that much money and that many customers, which it does for the iPhone. They just have no reason to allow Google the same leeway.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I don't like iOS but I will say one thing about Apple. The BS that Verizon has pulled with the Galaxy Nexus will NEVER be allowed to happen with the iPhone.

OTOH, if you don't like Verizon's BS then just install your own ROM. I can take matters into my own hand and not worry about the Mothership.

Aguaski

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
OTOH, if you don't like Verizon's BS then just install your own ROM. I can take matters into my own hand and not worry about the Mothership.

That may not be an option if the phone is being used in a corporate environment. For example, I am required to use Good For Enterprise for my work email. Good has root detection tools that my IT administrator can use to boot me off the network if I am rooted. Since I have to receive my work email I cannot root my phone and play around with custom ROM's. It really takes the fun out of Android, but I don't have a lot of choice. For people like me I don't think it is too much to ask to have a stable stock environment that receives timely updates.

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
That may not be an option if the phone is being used in a corporate environment. For example, I am required to use Good For Enterprise for my work email. Good has root detection tools that my IT administrator can use to boot me off the network if I am rooted. Since I have to receive my work email I cannot root my phone and play around with custom ROM's. It really takes the fun out of Android, but I don't have a lot of choice. For people like me I don't think it is too much to ask to have a stable stock environment that receives timely updates.

I used to be in the same boat. Since I changed jobs and moved off of GFE, I have enjoyed my phone so much more since I was able to root it. Another major reason Apple updates all devices on all carriers at the same time is because they only have one major update a year and they only have 2 true devices to support (GSM and CDMA). Of course they have emergency patches as needed, but they really only have to focus on one update a year where-as Google's system is much harder to support due to the multitude of device types.

mwara244

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
the iPhone is a more desired phone? last year the iPhone sold 10 million, and the SG3, one model of android, sold 20 million. Android os has over 70% of the market. Google should leverage Motorola against Verizon. Verizon needs the Droid line, more than Motorola. now that Motorola will be on track with the new Motorola X which will be on all carriers allegedly, they seem to be wanting to follow suit as Samsung. I read 2 sites saying now that the Motorola X phone will actually be called the Motorola Nexus X. if Verizon wants to continue the Droid line they should give in a little to Google demand for updating.also if Verizon stop's updating, they should release the Galaxy Nexus back to Google to update.but I'm guessing Verizon is doing the same s*** again I trying to sell Newer phones like the S G3 which will have a higher os 4.1.2, van updating older phonesjust to get people to buy newer phones, delay or suspend.

at this point I am sick of Verizon bs with their updates and lack of information and slowest 4g. I just hope that dish and Google have their network up by January 2014 when my contract is up.

Sorry for grammer/ typos, used speech to text, on my gnex.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure we can blame Verizon as much as we can blame their so-called competition for letting them be the only worthwhile game in town. If any of the other networks was as good as Verizon, we would have switched in droves and Verizon would have to compete.

As it stands, the statement "I'm switching to Sprint. Their updates are tested faster" is smirked at by Verizon. Their customer base tells them that faster network is far preferable to faster updates or even cheaper contracts.

BuyOneGetFour

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure we can blame Verizon as much as we can blame their so-called competition for letting them be the only worthwhile game in town. If any of the other networks was as good as Verizon, we would have switched in droves and Verizon would have to compete.

As it stands, the statement "I'm switching to Sprint. Their updates are tested faster" is smirked at by Verizon. Their customer base tells them that faster network is far preferable to faster updates or even cheaper contracts.

sad but true! :)

Saying things like "I'm leaving Verizon Wireless" is almost like saying "I'm moving to France" :D :D :D

As of right now, no other carrier can top Verizon's network for speed and coverage.
Somebody please tell AT&T to hurry up! :D

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
As of right now, no other carrier can top Verizon's network for speed and coverage.

That, of course, would require a device that has a radio that can actually receive the network signals. I'm (sarcastically) wondering if Samsung installed radios for someone else's network and which just incidentally pick up Verizon's CDMA and LTE signals. :-/

Rudolphe

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
That, of course, would require a device that has a radio that can actually receive the network signals. I'm (sarcastically) wondering if Samsung installed radios for someone else's network and which just incidentally pick up Verizon's CDMA and LTE signals. :-/

You're right though, the signal on my G Nex is always having problems. I'm either getting grey bars, or a low LTE singal. I barely have full strength LTE sometimes i'll look at my phone and just have no data at all.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos