Why is the Nexus 4 so popular? These are the problems I have with it...

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
You forgot to mention the lack of a replaceable battery, that's the deal breaker for me. I could tolerate the 16G of FLASH, I'm not happy about it but it hasn't been a problem on my Nexus7. I wouldn't buy a phone without LTE but if I were a T-Mobile customer that wouldn't be an issue since they don't have LTE and AT&T barely has it. But a puny non replaceable battery is inexcusable.

I think that the only selling point of the N4 is the non-contract price which is important outside if the US but it's a don't care here because almost all phones are bought on contract.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
It's unlocked, cutting edge technology, top notch build quality, oh, AND IT'S $350 from Google. What exactly don't you understand? :):D

It's not for everybody, but it is for MOST everybody. Even more so when it's offered for less than half the price of its reasonable competition. Those that have issues with the storage, removable battery, and LTE are in the minority (not to mention the workarounds). It does have Band 4 LTE btw, so it'll work on T-Moblie's LTE in the states and it works in Canada and Mexico right now. LTE has a very small global footprint, you know. That said, it's not enough to give me "any" real sort of new phone envy (nor anything else out now). The fact that I still LOVE my gnex well over a year later shows the true value of the Nexi lines IMO. Feels like I get a new phone almost everytime I flash it and the dev support is still very strong. Great buy and hold devices while still seeming cutting edge late in their useful lives.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I dumped VZW for it and have never been happier. Tmobile's HSPA+ is plenty fast and doesn't drain the battery like LTE does.. I kept my Gnex toggled to 3G only most of the time or the battery would never last more than a few hours, so now I get faster speeds than I had on my Gnex regularly and fine battery life. 16 gigs hasn't been an issue, everything I use is in the cloud anyway. The screen is nicer, colors are more accurate, processor is lightning fast, makes the Gnex look like a snail.

Oh and Tmobile prepaid is now saving me $1200 a year versus what I was paying for VZW. All in all I am extremely satisfied with my decision :)

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
How is $350 a bargain? I paid $150 for the GN. Being unlocked isn't worth anything either because there is only one LTE network available, Verizon's so being tied to them for two years is no big deal. In a couple more years this might matter, AT&T should have a decent footprint in another year or so but T-Mobile and Sprint will take much longer.

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
How is $350 a bargain? I paid $150 for the GN. Being unlocked isn't worth anything either because there is only one LTE network available, Verizon's so being tied to them for two years is no big deal. In a couple more years this might matter, AT&T should have a decent footprint in another year or so but T-Mobile and Sprint will take much longer.

350 for a new phone is a bargain. Especially if you want no contract and want to go prepaid or on T-Mobile value plan. I am saving 50 bucks a month since I left sprint. If I had bought a brand new gs3 it would have been 600. Used around 400. Instead I paid 330 after tax for a brand new phone...

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
I dumped VZW for it and have never been happier. Tmobile's HSPA+ is plenty fast and doesn't drain the battery like LTE does.. I kept my Gnex toggled to 3G only most of the time or the battery would never last more than a few hours, so now I get faster speeds than I had on my Gnex regularly and fine battery life. 16 gigs hasn't been an issue, everything I use is in the cloud anyway. The screen is nicer, colors are more accurate, processor is lightning fast, makes the Gnex look like a snail.

Oh and Tmobile prepaid is now saving me $1200 a year versus what I was paying for VZW. All in all I am extremely satisfied with my decision :)

$1200? How many lines?

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
$1200? How many lines?

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

Had technically 2 lines on Verizon, 2nd was one of those $10 add on deals. Total bill was a bit over $130 a month with taxes etc. Now it's $30 a month for the same service.

And to reiterate LTE is a nice fancy thing that some people fuss about, but if you are fortunate enough to live in an area where Tmo has good coverage you will not miss it. There is no discernable difference between LTE and hspa+ for the average user.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Read some reviews and you'll see why it's popular. Mostly, popular things are popular because they're good. :p Or they have an Apple logo.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Is there a reason why manufacturers opt to not make the battery removable?

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Had technically 2 lines on Verizon, 2nd was one of those $10 add on deals. Total bill was a bit over $130 a month with taxes etc. Now it's $30 a month for the same service.

And to reiterate LTE is a nice fancy thing that some people fuss about, but if you are fortunate enough to live in an area where Tmo has good coverage you will not miss it. There is no discernable difference between LTE and hspa+ for the average user.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

At my work 4G is considerably faster than the work's wifi connection. 37mb down, 23mb up. I never turn on wifi.

Not that I need that blazing speed all the time but it just takes the edge off of waiting for anything. Makes for a cleaner experience.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my lte is really making my Gnex a mini computer now.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Is there a reason why manufacturers opt to not make the battery removable?

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

They like to keep the thin profile and no removable battery helps them accomplish that. It seems like Samsung is really the only OEM that is not moving this direction, so far.

Sent from my Asus Nexus 7

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I doubt you bought it for $150 unless you bought it used. You may have paid Verizon $150, but you signed a two year contract with that deal. Trust me, they are making up for that lost money. The N4 can be bought without a contract for $350. I paid $300 for my GNEX on a contract brand new. Try finding another top of the line GSM phone unlocked out of contract for nearly that price.

That said, I don't really care for the Nexus 4.. No removable battery, no SD slot (something I wish I had), and small storage space.

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
I find it comical that the Android community pasted apple when they released the 4s without LTE but praise Google for releasing their 4 without LTE. Kind of a double standard I think.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I find it comical that the Android community pasted apple when they released the 4s without LTE but praise Google for releasing their 4 without LTE. Kind of a double standard I think.

That's funny cuz the N4 has Lte. Its just on a band that currently only T-Mobile is using.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought it from Amazon when the GN first came out. The Amazon price was half of the price in a Verizon store. Obviously it's subsidized by Verizon in return for a two year contract but that's the case with most phones that you buy. None of the phone companies offer you a discount if you pay full price for an unlocked phone so there is really no advantage to paying full price for the phone. There also isn't much portability in the US because there are so few carriers and they have incompatible networks. At best you could move between T-Mobile and AT&T, neither of which is an attractive option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluegarland692