Why is the Nexus 4 so popular? These are the problems I have with it...

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I find it comical that the Android community pasted apple when they released the 4s without LTE but praise Google for releasing their 4 without LTE. Kind of a double standard I think.

There is a difference though. The iPhone 4S has 3G, where the Nexus 4 has 4G. Big difference!

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
The nexus 4 has top of the specs is $300-$350 off contract. I realize paying $200 for a contracted phone and then $100 a month is a hell of a lot more expensive than having a nexus 4 prepaid. I pay $50 after tax for ATT service through straight talk. Tell me how much unlimited minutes text and the 3gb data plan would be through them? Probably around $120+ add tax which cell phone companies charge 15%-20% and I save my myself almost $100 a month. Also I understand some people will pay more to a carrier because of LTE or the fact they have stores that u can just walk into if u have a problem or need assistance. To me nothing a carrier can offer is worth that much more money. Sure if I could get a comparable 300 minute unlimited text and 3-4gb of data through Verizon or AT&T for $70 I would probably do it. But LTE isn't worth $100 a month to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
That's funny cuz the N4 has Lte. Its just on a band that currently only T-Mobile is using.

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2

I think he needs to do more research.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

There is a difference though. The iPhone 4S has 3G, where the Nexus 4 has 4G. Big difference!

And here I thought Apple fan boys were narrow minded. Android fan boys unite!!!

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
The nexus 4 is one hell of a good phone. Most customers know what they want and are getting prior to purchasing the phone. No expandable memory? Allot of phones will be going that direction in the future and with cloud you don't really need it in my opinion.
No LTE? Well on t mobile hspa is very fast.
I would love to get a nexus 4 but I'm currently under contract.. I'm a huge fan. If you don't research prior to buying you can still return the device within your return window. If you don't then who is there to blame?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I find it comical that the Android community pasted apple when they released the 4s without LTE but praise Google for releasing their 4 without LTE. Kind of a double standard I think.

I dont know if the fact that it is missing LTE is being Praised. in fact, it is one of the CONS that everyone points out. people are just saying they dont miss it much since T-Mobiles H+ network is actually pretty fast. I put my LTE Verizon signal up against my buddies h+ network, and he had the faster speeds. so i for one, dont mind the lack of LTE.

as for the other stuff OP. to each their own. as long as i have unlimited data, i am OK with only 16GB of storage. I am not a huge gamer. as long as i get can fit all my apps, and a nandroid backup, and a ROM and a Kernel flashable .zip on my phone, I am happy. i currently have a 32GB Gnex, with about 20+ GB free.
removable battery is also not a Huge deal, although I would really like one. but i am connected to a charger 90% of the time anyway.

the nicer screen, nicer camera, upgraded processor, 2GB RAM, better build quality, wireless charging along with cheaper off contract price and cheaper plans available, the Nexus 4 is a huge WIN for me. unfortunately, i am locked into my Gnex for another 7 months....and by then, hopefully the next nexus will be right around the corner.

Coolanjello

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Poor software quality. Bug-gy is an understatement. Camera doesn't work. Music player keeps crashing. I am not even mentioning the many features that it lacks. I am just so upset with the quality of the software that Google pushes out without testing. I have had it for 72 hours and already cannot take it. Returning it today.

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
The reason the nexus 4 is popular is because its cheap. Simple as that.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Android Central Forums

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Assuming you have a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon... the hardware on the Nexus 4 is superior. Lack of LTE doesn't matter too much in my opinion. HSPA+ is fast enough for most uses. LTE drains a battery much quicker. As for only 16 gb of storage... well costs have to be cut somewhere in order to keep it at $350. Lastly... the Nexus 4 is running the latest 4.2. Updates for Galaxy Nexus have to be cleared with Verizon before Google can push them through. Updates will come quicker to Nexus's not in Verizon. Carrier control like that defeats on reason to have a Nexus in the first place... FREEDOM. I am not flaming you.... just offering a mix of opinion and fact to answer your question.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
And here I thought Apple fan boys were narrow minded. Android fan boys unite!!!

You call us narrow minded and yet rely on merely dismissing other people's arguments instead of backing up your own. You have so much to learn.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Poor software quality. Bug-gy is an understatement. Camera doesn't work. Music player keeps crashing. I am not even mentioning the many features that it lacks. I am just so upset with the quality of the software that Google pushes out without testing. I have had it for 72 hours and already cannot take it. Returning it today.

must be a bad device, i will trade you straight up for my fully functioning LTE galaxy nexus. ;)

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4 physically has an LTE capable chip. Officially it is currently not supported by the software.

End of discussion.

:)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
More impotently the Nexus4 does not have the right to use LTE in the USA. It is not registered with the FCC for access to any LTE band.

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
It may not have the right to but for those rooted and smart enough not to take the updates can just take the 4.2.2 sources and compile their own build and still use band 4 lte so again the informed and intelligent win.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
You don't know what your talking about. T-Mobile has to allow the use of LTE on a per-account basis for the device to be able to login to the LTE network which would be a crime.

[edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

nrm5110

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
You don't know what your talking about. T-Mobile has to allow the use of LTE on a per-account basis for the device to be able to login to the LTE network which would be a crime. Yes the informed and intelligent win but sadly your not part of that group.

All you need is a sim an APN and knowledge of how to enable LTE its not that hard their fix lies in an update to the modem which is a partition most ROM makers don't touch so as long as you aren't flashing the updated radio their lock won't work. Care to try again.

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
All you need is a sim an APN and knowledge of how to enable LTE its not that hard their fix lies in an update to the modem which is a partition most ROM makers don't touch so as long as you aren't flashing the updated radio their lock won't work. Care to try again.

Maybe a T-mo employee can clear this up with you better but if you refuse to understand that LTE is enabled to an account from T-mobile's end and the Nexus4 is explicitly excluded from LTE access then this is like talking to a wall.

[edited by moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

svfd757

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
So, this means the phone must run an old build of the operating system, or radios, to enable LTE? Is this really something anyone should be proud of in a "flagship" phone? Damn I can't wait for the BlackBerry Z10 to release. Now that's a flagship phone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC