Can I block the update to 4.2?

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I know folks are waiting for it, but I was wondering if it could be blocked? Here's my thinking: I'm getting a Galaxy Note 10.1 wifi and want to be able to tether. Currently, on 4.1.1 my phone can tether through wifi, so I'd rather not update. I didn't know if I could just decline, or if it would nag me endlessly. I'm on unlimited data, and to me the update doesn't look that significant to trade off the hotspot.

On a side note, anyone ever use the bluetooth tether on PDAnet? If figure it wouldn't hurt to update if the bluetooth tether works well, and there's not a chance of that getting broken like the wifi hotspot.

Thanks for any input!

rob281

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Why worry about it? It's not like Verizon will actually push it out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

gregs1213

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you sure you will not be able to hotspot when the update hits? Did Verizon not have block people from WiFi Tether with 4.1? I have no idea since I'm rooted and running custom roms and never received an update once... (Got tired of waiting for 4.0.4)

Besides, I heard FoxFi works without root.

NinerJet9

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Lol I hope this becomes an issue for you because that means we will actually get an update.

To answer the OP, you can always deny the upgrade. It will not likely update on its own.

lucasbuck

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've gotten update prompts before, but I just figured it would nag all the time. And from what I read, it's the 4.2 update that blocks it. It's Foxfi that I run, and think they merged the two into the same thing with PDANet. I'm on 4.1.1 and can still setup a hotspot. Their website says not to update to 4.2.
Here's another question. If I rooted the phone, and updated to 4.2, would the wifi be disabled on the custom rom or just the official?