Verizon Galaxy Nexus: Any way to force 4.2.2 update?

MartinRW

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Anyway to force 4.2.2 update?

I'm so frustrated as I've been trying to force the update since I first saw this post and no luck. I've tried everything mentioned in this thread numerous times and nothing. I'm in LA, CA. Has anyone nearby had any luck? I'm considering doing the manual install, but I cannot remember how to do it and the instructions that I see only mention doing it with various CW mods.

lets_go_android

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

So I am tempted to give this a try but I am worried that I may brick my phone or mess it up so bad that I had to factory reset my phone. (I used to a software engineer and I know if there is a way to have things go wrong, it will probably happen to someone.) Can someone help with some general questions:

1) Doing it this way, what is actually happening behind the scene?
I mean, is the phone going through Wi-Fi, connecting to Google directly (by-passing my telco) and downloading the latest 4.2.2.?

2) What does the "Clear Data" step do? clearing all the temp data for the process which if I don't do the rest of the steps, powering off the phone and back on should be back to normal.

3) I see someone having success after 30+ tries and some with success after twice. Why the variations? I am not a big fan of intermittent problems because they are well "intermittent" and sometimes we have no clue why they happen.

4) Finally, about risk. If it fail the first time, what happen? Do I still have a useable phone (like I never tried to update before?)

Many thanks.

Well, I don't know factually, but I think the clearing Google Services Framework should be pretty safe to do. A lot of people have done it with no problems. As to your first question, no, the clear+force stop doesn't download anything. I think it just clears some data on your phone about the currentness of your Android software. After doing the clearing, when I do the check for updates, it shows my last check date as 1969. Now, I agree that it's curious that the update check would still then say "no new updates" for a few times before it "works". Maybe it increases your priority (and therefore, your chances) because your device appears to be way out of date, but you're still contending with hundreds or thousands of other devices that also need an update, so it still doesn't guarantee you'll get the update. I assume VZW only pushes the update out to some subset devices each time since it doesn't have the capacity to push to everyone at once. This is all just pure speculation on my part though. :)

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site

Tried this force method a few times on Tuesday but didn't work. Tried it again at home last night and it worked!

md88

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I tried the clear data and force stop numerous times with no luck. Then I tried this method with task manager and swiping closed all apps. Worked like a charm. Not sure if coincidence or not but I'm on 4.2.2 now.
Stock and unlocked in Austin, TX.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Same here. Tried multiple times yesterday and today. Finally worked after clearing recent apps.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Andrew Port

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

As I remember from the 4.1 update back in fall, California and Texas got their updates first, followed by the mid-west and then the New York / Boston areas. I am in New York, so hopefully I can expect it soon.

The Framework thing never worked for me, FYI.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site

I got mine yesterday after 35+ forces. I did a few and took a break until it worked.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

anon(772439)

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site

Both times I've forced an upgrade, my phone acted strange/broken until I did a factory reset. It's too much bother to re-set up all my screens, folders, widgets - I'll just wait this time until 4.2.2 arrives OTA.

ShryZarf

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

No matter what I do. My Google Services Frameworks always says "Computing..."
I've pulled the battery and everything and I still get nothing. And so unless someone knows a fix I'll be stuck waiting for the OTA to hit.
Near Houston, TX with no luck yet.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site

Still can't update apps. Anymore ideas?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

To fix the Play Store issue, you need to remove your Google Account from the phone, then re-add it. In the Settings menu, scroll down to Accounts, tap into Google and remove/re-add the Google account. Then you'll be gold.

mikebear

May 26, 2010
Visit site

Both my wife and my son got it without forcing, they both got their phones much later than me. I'm still not seeing it after forcing every few hours.

dmlowery41

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

Both my wife and my son got it without forcing, they both got their phones much later than me. I'm still not seeing it after forcing every few hours.

My brother got his Nexus a few months ago, and he received his update a few hours after the story was posted here on Android Central. I bought my phone on release day, and still haven't received my update. I've only tried the force once this time, but from what I've read it's really hit and miss so I didn't want to mess up my Play store like when I was getting 4.1. Guess I'll just keep waiting...

credo

May 1, 2010
Visit site

I tied the Google Services Framework trick and got the update on the first try. Located in Massachusetts.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

I tried to wait for it to hit normally but I got impatient! After 3 forces I got mine so I guess it really does work. :)

waldo15

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

My brother got his Nexus a few months ago, and he received his update a few hours after the story was posted here on Android Central. I bought my phone on release day, and still haven't received my update. I've only tried the force once this time, but from what I've read it's really hit and miss so I didn't want to mess up my Play store like when I was getting 4.1. Guess I'll just keep waiting...

Is there no reprieve for us first adopters? :'( I have yet to get my update as well (I got the phone hours after stores opened on day 1). I have used the "force" trick in the past (Google Framework trick here discussed) but this time I'm obsessed with just waiting to see if the update shows up.

I had patience for all these months just to get a word on 4.2 and so a few more day should be manageable... but oh boy the Force stop button is just there, staring at me, mocking me... :confused:

dmlowery41

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

I tried the force again this afternoon, and still got nothing. Maybe I'll try it again a few more times tonight.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908