I think I need to revert back to 4.1.1

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Is there an easy way to revert back to the previous Verizon-approved OS version? 4.2.2 broke Bluetooth as it relates to my hands-free phone profile, and I travel for a living, and I need it to work. I will really, really miss the group texting upgrade, but I simply can't do without handsfree Bluetooth.

My Galaxy Nexus is stock, non-rooted, and still locked.

I am not against rooting and rom-ing this thing (I don't know how to do it). It does concern me that I may make aspects of this phone worse / unusuable but since Verizon likely is done supporting this thing, I don't mind trying.

Good thing Verizon tested the 4.2.2 update for so long. Why didn't they catch the BT bug?

So frustrating.

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
I am so sorry that Bluetooth doesn't work for you. I know you don't want to hear this but it is not 4.2.2. Mine works fine. Must be another reason for it. I am completely stock as well.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Should I do a factory reset on my phone (never done that before)? Might that have some effect? I don't have a million apps or anything complicated on this phone, and any apps, music, photos that I do have would get restored via Google, correct?

brian10161

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I can attest to this issue. I have the GSM nexus and got the 4.2.2 update and had tons of Bluetooth issues. Kept dropping connections and having pairing issues. Plus, some of my devices wouldn't connect unless I turn the screen on.

I reverted back to 4.1.2 and most of my issues have disappeared.

I don't know what it will be like to revert on the phone you have. But try the Galaxy Nexus Toolkit. That's how I did mine.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I would also like to know what the easiest way to switch back if needed to 4.1.1 running stock and locked.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Armada

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I would also like to know what the easiest way to switch back if needed to 4.1.1 running stock and locked.

Google has factory images available. You can flash them with fastboot or Wug's Toolkit (iirc).

GUHoya94

Oct 28, 2010
Visit site
I had some issues with wonkiness prior to 4.2.2 with one of the search updates but cleared my cache and data for my Google search apps and then uninstalled the updates for search and then reinstalled then. Then repaired my Bluetooth. It helped. Good luck.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

code_joe

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend just doing a factory reset on your phone before you try going to 4.1. It will usually get rid off any issues like this. I usually do a reset after an update myself to get it running clean. Make sure to save off any music/pictures. But your apps will load them selves back on the phone after you reboot it and sign into Google. Then all you have to do is put your icons like you want them.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I did a factory reset and the bluetooth problem remained exactly the same. It sees my BMW handsfree signal and pairs, but bluetooth toggles on for 2 seconds, then off for 2 seconds constantly. I had to pull over to make phone calls (I'm a travelling sales and service tech for companies that manufacture parts for nuclear power plants) and I'm either going to have to fix this, (somehow) or get rid of this phone for something else (sadly). I like it very much, but really- despite how technically-challenging it must be to make all of the aspects of a modern device like this work together- this type of thing just *has* to work. It's 2013- my LG VX8300 flip phone pairs with this car and stays connected...

androidluvr2

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
It sees my BMW handsfree signal and pairs, but bluetooth toggles on for 2 seconds, then off for 2 seconds constantly.
Do you have any bluetooth apps installed like Motospeak? If so, clear the data and force stop them. Then reboot. See if that helps. If not uninstall them and then reinstall them.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply and for the suggestion, but no- I have almost NO apps installed at all (and certainly no BT related ones). After today's factory reset- I'm leaving this device alone until I figure out if bluetooth / handsfree can be fixed somehow, I'm assuming that it cannot, and that I'll be learning how to unlock the bootloader so I can revert back to 4.1.1. That process wipes the phone (again) so I'm not going to bother setting it up until then.

Thanks again for trying to help me.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine promised to help me unlock, root and install a custom recovery (and flash 4.1.1 again)- and in the process teach me about the process so I'd feel more comfortable doing it myself. Since he works at a mobile sales kiosk, we kept getting interrupted, so while he did roll me back- I have some understanding of the process, but not as much as I'd like.

My bluetooth immediately sync'd with all of my devices just as they did before the 4.2.2 update. The problem exists in the bluetooth code in 4.2.2 and not in the hardware. (I really do appreciate your input rjack22, but you are not correct. 4.2.2 breaks bluetooth for some people, and I'm one of them).

So 4.1.1 was pretty good, and works as it did before, but NOW I get that annoying popup asking me to upgrade to 4.2.2. Does anyone know of an easy way to stop the incessant OTA reminders?

brian10161

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
After I reverted to 4.1.2 I was also getting the OTA which drove me nuts. I ended up rooting the phone and installing Auto starts and disabling the Google framework services.

That worked, but then I ended up installing Cyanogenmod 10 and now I love it lol

Definitely prefer 4.1 to 4.2 as far as Bluetooth is concerned. I was ready to buy a new phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus i9250

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For me, 4.1.1 works very well. Power management is excellent, performance is very good, and bluetooth works like it is supposed to (for the most part. A2DP is a little flaky). I now see why people like Apple products so much. When something gets broken in an update, Apple fixes it (or at least that has been my observation). I'll have this Galaxy Nexus for another year at least, and there's no way Verizon is updating this phone again, so I had to revert the software in order to fix the bluetooth problem. I'm very glad that I did, although I do miss the group testing "feature" that 4.2.2 brought (which every other phone seems to have natively).

I don't want to jinx myself, but after dismissing the update hundreds of times over the past 5 days it hasn't come back at all in the past 2 days...

What are those of you with 4.2.2 with broken BT functionality doing? Are you able to fix it? Are you going back to 4.1.1 like I did?

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
For me, 4.1.1 works very well. Power management is excellent, performance is very good, and bluetooth works like it is supposed to (for the most part. A2DP is a little flaky). I now see why people like Apple products so much. When something gets broken in an update, Apple fixes it (or at least that has been my observation). I'll have this Galaxy Nexus for another year at least, and there's no way Verizon is updating this phone again, so I had to revert the software in order to fix the bluetooth problem. I'm very glad that I did, although I do miss the group testing "feature" that 4.2.2 brought (which every other phone seems to have natively).

I don't want to jinx myself, but after dismissing the update hundreds of times over the past 5 days it hasn't come back at all in the past 2 days...

What are those of you with 4.2.2 with broken BT functionality doing? Are you able to fix it? Are you going back to 4.1.1 like I did?

Apple puts out a fix at the same time they put out a new bug. If you want a unsecured device with more release bugs than any other phone then they are the way to go. Apple was cool is 2007 and need to catch up to 2013. Now I see why android is the #1 phone sold all over the world.

mzdrati

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm no Apple fan. I own exactly one Apple product- an iPad2 (which was a gift). It's great- I mean- it has worked well after every update it has received. Obviously, I can only speak to my experience with that device- I can't say I share your opinion, but my experience is extremely limited.

I don't like Apple's closed ecosystem, and proprietary everything, but I don't think that gravitating to an open platform like Android means that I should have to be a programmer in order to have a fully functional device. I'm happy again at 4.1.1/. The reason I wanted a phone built with hardware design input by Google was because I naively thought that that meant that it would be entirely compatible with Google's own software, but that is not the case in my experience.

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm no Apple fan. I own exactly one Apple product- an iPad2 (which was a gift). It's great- I mean- it has worked well after every update it has received. Obviously, I can only speak to my experience with that device- I can't say I share your opinion, but my experience is extremely limited.

I don't like Apple's closed ecosystem, and proprietary everything, but I don't think that gravitating to an open platform like Android means that I should have to be a programmer in order to have a fully functional device. I'm happy again at 4.1.1/. The reason I wanted a phone built with hardware design input by Google was because I naively thought that that meant that it would be entirely compatible with Google's own software, but that is not the case in my experience.

I hear and understand what you mean.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12