verizon question?

jeep_man

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I have had the gnex since launch and I am fed up with battery life on this thing. I have been eyeing a RAZR maxx HD, but I am on unlimited data and do not want to change my contract. My question is about adding/dropping a line on Verizon. To buy the RAZR HD outright is $649. However if I add a line the cost to get a maxx HD is only $149 online. If I do this...get the maxx HD..switch it to my unlimited line...then can I just cancel my new line and pay the $350 early termination fee? This way it would only cost me $500 vs the $650 buying it outright? Does anybody know what other fees Verizon will stick me with? I have been debating doing this for a while and now its down to either the maxx HD or gs4. However I would need to wait for real life battery tests on the gs4 before going that route. I am an average to heavy user but mainly I am looking for battery life when watching videos and surfing the web. I do not do any mobile gaming and never use GPS. So for my uses I am seriously leaning towards the RAZR maxx HD.

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Something tells me there is a clause in place that would prevent you from simply snaking a $650 device for $150 through the scheme you are proposing. I would imagine Verizon would be able to bill you for the balance of the Razor's price unless you returned it to them.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
You cant add a line to your unlimited plan.... Ive tried...you will be forced onto a tiered plan if you add a line

your other option is to have someone else, not on verizon, open a new account to get the phone, then cancel it and pay the early termination, then give you the phone.... that might work...

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
You would have to have a new contract to not lose your unlimited, like was stated earlier. I don't have anything else to add on that, since in theory, it will work if a new user opens the contract, you pay the $150, the $35 activation, and the $350 early termination. So in essence, you're getting the phone for $535.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Something tells me there is a clause in place that would prevent you from simply snaking a $650 device for $150 through the scheme you are proposing. I would imagine Verizon would be able to bill you for the balance of the Razor's price unless you returned it to them.

He wouldn't be paying $150, he'd be paying $535, and no, there is no clauses set in place as he isn't doing anything illegal, since he would be paying the etf.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I am right there with you man... My contract ends at the end of this month, (May 30th), and I currently have the Droid Charge. I too have Verizon with Unl Data & Text w/450 mins Talk time. I'm an average user of data I guess, approx. 7 GB only because I watch MLB games here and there on #MLBAtBat2013. Anyway, I was going to mention that you could add another line but since someone earlier mentioned that they have already tried and it didn't work, well... Next thing you can do is find one on Craigslist without getting ripped off or robbed in person. Orrrr... you can try EBay or just buy the phone outright online somewhere. You can also try looking for a used one but may be in Excellent, Great, Good, Fair or Poor condition through Mobile Karma website. I am leaning towards switching over to T-Mobile and giving them my service and paying for the phone over 24 mos. Anyone else have any suggestions or help? I hope this helped man, let me know!

Last edited:

xyzlene

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
hey!

in layman terms i purchased the gnex when it was first released. i as well as others are going nuts with the battery issue...

i also managed to get my hands on the maxx hd.. even with root - on a personal basis i cannot get down with this phone.. gnex at the end of the day runs more smooth and, i do not have to tell you the rest..

you can also roll back to googles offical site for the toro version, maybe verizon dropped a bug in 4.2.2.. it would not surprise me.

other option - roll back to 4.1.1 toro - it ran pretty smooth..

KEEP IN MIND----- IO is within two days... there should be an announcement of some sort.. ALSO xfon just got passed through FCC (at&t) .. hold out for a bit longer.. i was in the same boat as you... Going to work on my gnex... the maxx has amazing battery life, but it lacks the thrill.. it made me depressed - lol...

MAJOR FACT - jelly bean 4.3... the main reason.. lots of bugs... i do not think verizon will roll out 4.3 - but with a lean rom, i think we can hold out till a 3,300 mah battery comes into town with aosp!!!!

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Haven't gotten them yet, but I think that's the same size that was in my iPhone 5, so it's definitely going to help. Especially with two of them.

Iphone 5's have 1440mah battery, so these are definitely bigger, but i agree, larger batteries can help in the meantime.

ctt1wbw

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Iphone 5's have 1440mah battery, so these are definitely bigger, but i agree, larger batteries can help in the meantime.

iPhone 5's have a 1440 battery? I could go all day literally on my iPhone 5. The Galaxy Nexus battery is bigger and it wouldn't last half as long.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
iPhone 5's have a 1440 battery? I could go all day literally on my iPhone 5. The Galaxy Nexus battery is bigger and it wouldn't last half as long.

But the Iphone can only do half as much :)

(sorry, couldnt help myself :)... BTW, before i get flamed, I got nothing against Apple both my little kids have apple devices

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I dont want to hijack this thread, as it was not created for this subject. But in short there is alot of things that can determine how long a phone lasts outside of battery size. Signal, Syncing, Radio type, screen size/type, Amount of usage on any given day, network the phone is on, Ect. Apples iOS is much more power efficient then android as well. When comparing the I5 to the gnex directly you have to consider the age of the technologies inside the phones as well.

Trust me, i know its frustrating. My friend has seen 7 hours of usage with his I5 over 24 hours on At&t with minimal syncing. I struggle to get 3 out of the same day on verizon with my gnex.

RashadJr088

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
going with the original topic of the thread, (not sure if it will help anyone) but one of my friends is on verizon, he's had the blackberry then the thunderbolt and then just switched phone with his brother and got the iphone 4s? I think it was.. anyway he recently decided to use his upgrade because I believe he said he's never really used it. (I guess he just bought the phone he wanted or got a used one from a family or something) anyway verizon told him he's on the unlimited plan and as most of us know who's had verizon for a while, they stopped with that plan. needless to say he's a little pissed (guessing he's not the biggest fan of the iphone) so his option is to either use his upgrade and lose out on the unlimited plan (which he uses about 15 gigs in a week) or wait and just buy a phone and then transfer his number to it.

I don't know if his plan or idea will help.. but it does goes into what jeep_man is saying

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon