Google Maps offline and GPS internationally?

anon(20593)

May 6, 2010
Visit site
I am traveling to Europe and I will not have a local smartphone there with data. I will have only a basic phone without data, and my Verizon Galaxy Nexus from here in the US.

I understand that the Verizon Galaxy Nexus does not have GSM, and I do not wish to roam on Verizon's international partners in Europe and pay exorbitant fees. Unfortunately I will not have regular wifi access. But I would still like to be able to download Google Maps and have the phone available to use with GPS.

Is this possible? If so, what do I need to do after I have downloaded the relevant areas from inside the Google Maps app? Do I turn on the phone when I land in Europe and quickly switch data and mobile network off, and make sure that location/GPS is on? Will the phone detect my location without wifi and any mobile network or roaming data connection? Is location/GPS independent of these? Basically, can I get walking and some basic driving directions with my phone there?

Please help!

adambomb6

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will work.

Download offline maps before you leave. Some spots may say map not available, however, keep zooming out and moving around and it will work.

When you get there put the phone in airplane mode and you will be fine. You can do this and test it here before you leave.

You will not be able to get directions. That requires data. You will be able to get your current location on the offline maps.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sranger#CB

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I just came back from Europe and did this, worked great. One thing I learned: there are no "places" on the cached map, e.g. restaurants, museums, etc. But, if you "star" places when you have a signal, they will still be there when you're offline. Can be very usefull.