1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Phone heating up faster than normal resulting in excessive battery drain

I believe this all started happening since I switched to 4.2.2. I'm not sure if anyone else noticed it, but it seems as though while using the phone, it heats up faster than normal and results in excessive battery drain. Something else I noticed, if its plugged in, and temperature is > 85F, it will not charge, it will drain. I confirmed this last week while driving cross country. The only way I was able to make it charge was by squeezing the phone in the air vent and letting it cool below 80F.

I am ROM'd w/ JBX (formally Jelly Belly). It's fairly stock. I chose it because I wanted the least amount of bugs and the most stable ROM. I used to get fantastic battery life with this ROM and kernel combo (Lean Kernel), but it just isn't holding up to what it used to

Looking at GSAM, it shows Facebook as my top battery drainer (14.8%; apps = 72.4% consumption), yet, even w/ that app frozen via tibu, it still drains at the same rate, so I don't think that's the culprit. Next up is the Calendar @ 14% (apps = 72.4%).

Looking at wakelock detector, it shows Calendar as the greatest wakelock usage: 18m 5s, then Google Services @ 14m, Maps (7m), FB (5.5m).

As far as calendar apps, I have neat calendar and dash clock installed. Might disable one of those for a day to see if it makes a difference. Either way, the phone is heating up faster and draining faster than normal. The phone is running more sluggish than normal. Things don't seem right at all.

Default Re: Phone heating up faster than normal resulting in excessive battery drain

Same I have observed just in one day.... I also upgrade to jellybean, It is consuming more battery and getting phone heat up excessively.. I request experts that please give some solution.

Default Re: Phone heating up faster than normal resulting in excessive battery drain

I posted about this a couple months ago - my phone gets HOT! I am running completely stock - no root, etc.
    I downloaded a widget to tell me the temp of my device - and at times, the phone will hit 114 degrees!! Sure, it will get up there when I am playing a game or watching a video, etc.. but there were times where the phone was on standby in my pocket, and I could feel it burning me. As a result of this, of course my battery was getting obliterated. Looking at my battery consumption, nothing really stood out as a culprit.
    Someone on my thread suggested that it could be my Exchange Services Email (Outlook). I removed it, and low and behold - it helped tremendously!!
    Unfortunately, this is not a viable solution for me, as I use my phone for work as well, and need to get my emails... I have since adjusted the frequency of mail retrievals, and trimmed a few other apps that I found running in the background that I rarely ever used. It still gets hot, but now only at times of lengthy use.
    I noticed the same thing on my Note 10.1 tablet - the device was getting very hot, and any apps/ games I would be using at the time would stutter and lag. I removed my Outlook account, and have never had a problem since. I have no idea what it is about Outlook that has been beating up my devices, but I do believe that it was a highly contributing factor.
    Now, if you are not running any Exchange Services, then I don't know what to say - but wanted to share my experience with you in the hopes that it may help.
    IG: Damion95 / Xbox: Himm again
    My page: Hate bad parking? Come share your pics!
    www.facebook.com/PoorlyParked

What I found with mine which is rooted running stock 4.2.2 with the extended battery.... when it runs hot I go to the recovery and wipe the battery stats from there and reboot by that time the phone has cooled down and as a result of wiping the stats the phone for a week or more depending on how I use my phone or how much I flash the flash that week will no longer overheat....... I use my phone for everything and so Im always charging it I've had the temp on mine as high as 120+ at times....... lol at that point I just turn off the phone

since I updated my phone to 4.2.2 its Heating way too much +Battery Drains OverNight Heats While Charging
    Please Help is there anyway I can switch back to Old version of Android?

It Hangs as Well.

Samsung Galaxy Grand.
    Last edited by Arianaa K; 09-15-2013 at 06:32 AM.