Google Maps v7.0.2 delete offline maps (cache)?

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys and gals,

I was just wondering if you guys know how to delete offline (cache maps) for the newly updated Google Maps?
I will be going on vacation in the upcoming weeks and will be preparing my maps and itinerary for the upcoming trip. If my memory serves me right, I do not think I will have service for my phone, so I am preparing everything possible to make my driving situation as pain free as possible.

I found a CNET video that teaches you how to DL/cache my maps for offline use... But it does not tell you how to delete them. Would anyone know how to delete previously stored maps? On the older version of Google Maps, it was relatively straight forward... Its not the case with v7.0.2.

Thanks in advance!

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
After doodling around... Should have known sooner, only way (i could be wrong) to delete offline/cache maps is directly from the phone's settings. Go to downloaded Apps.. From there, clear data/cache... And that should delete any offline maps that previously had been stored. Or at least I hope so...

Also... I come to figure out... You may need to zoom in multiple "offline maps" and cache in a particular location.. otherwise your offline map maybe blurry..

For example... Im going to Puerto Rico i need at least 40miles of offline map from San Juan to Rio Mar... I had to cache the airport area of San Juan... From there, had to zoom in and cache the area east of San Juan.. From there, That allowed me to access a larger area while being offline.... My guess, Google maps then pieces all the cached data together and stitches all the maps together to create 1 map..

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
theres a much better way
zoom into the area you want to save for offline use, click the search bar at the top... scroll to the bottom of the list and youll see the option to save for offline use...
This will save all levels of zoom down to the street level....

-Danny

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Danny.

that method worked perfectly, as long as I was dead on center with my offline map. Also by zooming in my desired location and by typing in, "OK MAPS" in the search bar worked the same... But doesnt really give me a detailed map of the entire area that i needed... Some areas towards the edge of the "cached" region gets pixelated. and street names wont pop up... Maybe its my phone or just a glitch with my particular OS, but in order for me to get my entire desired area, i need to cache in multiple times on various locations.

Danny,

can you confirm my route of deleting all offline maps? Is that the correct way? Or is there another route to go?
I find it odd that there's no option in the Google Maps Application where you can delete offline maps. Considering it can eat up valuable on board storage. I believe the old version of Maps had that option directly built into the App.

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
you are correct, the old version made it dead simple to store maps, see whats stored and delete them... I got no idea how to do it on the new version...

but if its similar to the old version, the largest map you can download offline is about 75MB, which isnt much.... so it shouldnt affect your memory to much...
-Danny

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
The only way I could think of was by going directly into the phone.. I am not even sure if that does anything lol.

click APPS tray > Settings > under DEVICE > Apps > Downloaded > Maps > Clear Data > Clear Cache

But i guess its a step in the right direction.

Angelo421

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that clearing the cache through the settings -> App manager does the trick. While driving across the country I had cached maps for wilderness areas where I knew there would be no service resulting in the maps cache growing to about 300mb. Its back to zero now.

I really dont get why they made it more complicated in an updated version of that app, but at least there is a workaround.

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
thanks Angelo for reconfirming. I too dont know why Google has made it so difficult. Maybe they will fix that issue during the next round of updates. Or lets hope they dont mess it up more than they already have.

gottfr

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
i also have the problem that some tiles of the offline map are blurry.
So its not your phone,
and its not my phone, good to know ! Thanks !

gottfr

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
that was an unfriendly act by Google to remove the offline cards feature;
Once they said "Don't be evil", it looks like they are forgetting ...........

markcolenn

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
the best free offline maps is (rmaps). first, you will need to download (mobile atlas creator version 1.8) on your pc, which allow you to download google maps of any where and any size. unlimited.
note: select map source (google maps). zoom level (17 is good for cities). atlas settings (format: RMaps SQLite). then create it.
then, insall (rmaps) on phone. copy paste the saved maps the (phone memory> rmaps> maps). then open rmaps>settings>user defined maps> select the maps.
it work great. i have all europe (google maps) saved on my phone. enjoy.

snaptree

Oct 29, 2013
Visit site
Google maps Ver 7 is pathetic. Really wish I could get back to Ver 6 which was easy to use and understandable.

Does anyone know of a good replacement for google maps? Now I know how apple users felt when their maps got hosed up....

cpcxgsr

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Google maps Ver 7 is pathetic. Really wish I could get back to Ver 6 which was easy to use and understandable.

Does anyone know of a good replacement for google maps? Now I know how apple users felt when their maps got hosed up....

A decent substitute is Waze. Not a real "professional" app but it most certainly gets the job done.. and also entertains you as well.

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I've tested by caching 2 areas, going into Airplane mode, clearing the CACHE of the Maps app (Google Maps) and zooming around. The previously cached areas are still there. Somehow. Outside the cached areas, blurry lack of detail galore.

,:-\

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance