1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default tips for buying used Galaxy Nexus for WiFi / first smartphone

I am thinking of buying my first smartphone. I will primarily use it for talking (I am currently using a flip phone). I expect to mostly use the Internet features while traveling, and then, pretty sporadically and for not long (e.g., checking email, looking at a map, reading a review). For various reasons, I am not planning on getting Internet service as part of my cell plan. Instead, I am thinking of using WiFi (e.g., in hotels or at restaurants). I expect to use my computers at home and work for most of my Internet needs; I don't need to always be connected.

Do you have any tips / suggestions? Does the Galaxy Nexus work pretty well with WiFi for the conditions I described? I have bought used phones on ebay in the past. Is there anything special to look for when buying a Nexus (e.g., things that go wrong but won't be obvious in the listing)? Is there a way to reset the phone such that there are not security risks (e.g., trojans, password sniffers, etc.) left over from the seller?

Thanks!

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: tips for buying used Galaxy Nexus for WiFi / first smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by acgng View Post
    I am thinking of buying my first smartphone. I will primarily use it for talking (I am currently using a flip phone). I expect to mostly use the Internet features while traveling, and then, pretty sporadically and for not long (e.g., checking email, looking at a map, reading a review). For various reasons, I am not planning on getting Internet service as part of my cell plan. Instead, I am thinking of using WiFi (e.g., in hotels or at restaurants). I expect to use my computers at home and work for most of my Internet needs; I don't need to always be connected.

Do you have any tips / suggestions? Does the Galaxy Nexus work pretty well with WiFi for the conditions I described? I have bought used phones on ebay in the past. Is there anything special to look for when buying a Nexus (e.g., things that go wrong but won't be obvious in the listing)? Is there a way to reset the phone such that there are not security risks (e.g., trojans, password sniffers, etc.) left over from the seller?

Thanks!
    Welcome! Yes, you can reset the device (Factory Reset) from within the phone's system settings. This will clear out any issues you have.

If you currently have Verizon check that they will activiate the device without a mobile data plan. Sometimes carriers will require you to have the minimum plan they offer.

Regarding using the device on WiFi only, yes, this can also be done. Just use caution that all your apps are set to not sync and/or disabled unless you are on a WiFi network. Though apps generally don't consume a lot of data while no in use, the cumulative data usage over a months time can be high if apps sync in the background to retrieve data, i.e. email, pictures, etc.
    Thanked by:
    acgng 

IMO - buy an unlocked GSM Nexus device for the ultimate choice, freedom, and flexibility.

what are you paying for service now? data plans are not that expensive these days. $45/month gets you a lot -

Thanked by:
    acgng 

After reading how you're planning on using a smartphone, it doesn't appear like you'll be doing any rooting, which is what Nexuses are great for. Instead, I suggest spending $50 at Best Buy (with an Amazon price match) and getting a Moto X. You'll enjoy the same stock Android experience with some useful features thrown in, particularly Active Notifications and Touchless Controls.

EDIT: Pardon my post. I just read that you don't plan on getting a data plan, which you'll need to do if you get a Moto X. Would a Nexus 7 be too big for you?
    Thanked by:
    acgng 
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    If you currently have Verizon check that they will activiate the device without a mobile data plan. Sometimes carriers will require you to have the minimum plan they offer.
    This had not occurred to me. I just called Verizon, and they confirmed that I would need a data plan. Bah! You may have just saved me from making a costly mistake - thanks.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    IMO - buy an unlocked GSM Nexus device for the ultimate choice, freedom, and flexibility.

what are you paying for service now? data plans are not that expensive these days. $45/month gets you a lot -

I use Verizon and pay ~ $110 for 5 lines with my employee discount (it just changed, but it's something like that). My family members and I tend to go to remote areas (e.g, national parks and very rural areas) and perceive that Verizon offers better coverage.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by rvandroid View Post
    After reading how you're planning on using a smartphone, it doesn't appear like you'll be doing any rooting, which is what Nexuses are great for. Instead, I suggest spending $50 at Best Buy (with an Amazon price match) and getting a Moto X. You'll enjoy the same stock Android experience with some useful features thrown in, particularly Active Notifications and Touchless Controls.

EDIT: Pardon my post. I just read that you don't plan on getting a data plan, which you'll need to do if you get a Moto X. Would a Nexus 7 be too big for you?
    Well, it's funny - I had been thinking of getting a Nexus 7 (or similar low-cost Android tablet), but someone observed that in my job a flip phone would be detrimental to how people perceive me. :-( I was hoping to finesse the issue by getting a cheap decent smartphone without a data plan, while keeping my low-cost voice plan for the 5 lines for my family.

Not sure with other carriers but with Verizon, you can upgrade your flip phone to a Moto X or any smartphone, then call customer service and have them switch out the smartphone back to the flip phone. You'll get to keep the smartphone as a standalone and the data plan will be removed. Only thing you'll lose is your upgrade.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    acgng 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I pay ~ $115 (my employee discount just changed) for 5 lines in a family plan. We tend to go to remote locations (e.g., national parks and very rural areas) where Verizon seems to have better service, and the rest of the people on my plan don't want Internet service.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Not sure with other carriers but with Verizon, you can upgrade your flip phone to a Moto X or any smartphone, then call customer service and have them switch out the smartphone back to the flip phone. You'll get to keep the smartphone as a standalone and the data plan will be removed. Only thing you'll lose is your upgrade.

When I spoke with the Verizon customer service rep earlier, she said my current family voice plan was "grandfathered" in but I could pay $10/month for 75 MB of Internet access. She claimed this was for my protection, because otherwise apps and what-not would connect to the Internet via Verizon (even though I wouldn't otherwise have mobile Internet), and then I would get charged a much higher rate. I didn't press her on this, but I found that hard to believe. If I don't have Verizon Internet service, why would their network talk to my smartphone even if I am using Verizon for voice? And regardless, surely there is a way to configure the phone to not use anybody's cell service for Internet access, only free WiFi?
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I have tried answering your question a couple of times, but for some reason the post never appears - sorry! I am paying ~ $115 for 5 lines in a family voice plan. The people in my plan tend to go to remote locations (e.g., national parks and very rural areas), and the thinking is that Verizon has better coverage in such areas. One person actually has an old tri-mode phone; in the past he said it sometimes would connect via analog service through a Verizon partner when digital coverage was not available - is that still possible? We had (have?) a plan that never charged for roaming even when off the Verizon-owned network.

hi, hope this relates:

can i use my now 'old' nexus s as a wifi only device? att claims they, by contract, are not allowed to unlock the phone.

i just want to use it around the house on my own network.

directions to other threads appreciated...
    pardon me, i seem to have lost my mind in a reading comprehension accident...

Quote Originally Posted by wpbfjr View Post
    hi, hope this relates:

can i use my now 'old' nexus s as a wifi only device? att claims they, by contract, are not allowed to unlock the phone.

i just want to use it around the house on my own network.

directions to other threads appreciated...
    Yes you can. I kept my GNex after I upgraded. I turned on Airplane Mode to keep the phone from looking for a signal and draining the battery. You can then turn on Wifi to connect to your router.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks for the tip. For my situation, I think I'd prefer to carry just a single device that is primarily voice but can do rare Internet access (and without a $10/month fee). If I'm going to have two devices, I'd rather have my flip phone and a tablet (e.g., an ASUS MeMO Pad). Still thinking of options...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

I was thinking ahead to Black Friday deals and called Verizon back to get information. The customer service rep said that under my current family plan with 5 voice lines, the $10 / month for a 75 MB data line option was only if I was using a "basic" phone. Arrrrrrrrrgh!!! I'm not sure how the previous rep missed the whole point of wanting to use a smart phone. The new rep said my cheapest option to use a smart phone (even if primarily only in WiFi mode with airplane mode turned on) would be to add a 2 GB data line for $30 / month. Ouch! I'll switch to a new carrier before I do that.