Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default If this comes to Verizon with 4G and WITHOUT Bing then wow

I would pay a lot for it

If its 3G and without Bing I might still be in even though I am itching for 4G so bad.

If it has Bing then I wont consider.

TBH, I have been sleeping on this phone until today and am now googling the crap out of it. I can't stand that Carriers never give definitive release dates and when they do they always delay. I need this phone now
    Galaxy Nexus S3
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

There is a Samsung event coming up, and most believe it will be like last year's event which announced the original SGS line.

And even if it does come with Bing, this phone will have a large developer base and is easily modable, so it won't take long to get Bing off. IIRC, when the Fascinate came out last September it only took 24 hours to be rooted and deBinged
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.

I read somewhere that it will be released for Verizon this summer, and will be a LTE device.
    Palm Treo>Blackberry Pearl>Blackberry Curve>Blackberry Tour>Blackberry Bold>Droid Pro>Droid Bionic>Galaxy Nexus>iPhone 5S and LG G2

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by theonlychoman View Post
    I read somewhere that it will be released for Verizon this summer, and will be a LTE device.
    I could see it coming this summer, although probably late summer. However, I highly doubt it'll be an LTE device. The current generation of LTE radio will not fit in the current GSII case.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I have been thinking about it all day and after reading the second post don't care about if it has Bing or not, (this is the only device I would make that statement about), however I really want 4G. If this comes out as 3G and there is nothing that wows me at that time that is 4G then I am going to have another 3G phone, sigh.

Anyone know if that upcoming Samsung event in New York City on May 24, 2011 is open to the public?
    Galaxy Nexus S3

Quote Originally Posted by DolfanCole View Post
    I could see it coming this summer, although probably late summer. However, I highly doubt it'll be an LTE device. The current generation of LTE radio will not fit in the current GSII case.
    True, but the Charge is only 1/10 of an inch thicker and it has a LTE radio, so a slight modifcation to the current case could make it work! I hope and pray!
    Cory

ROM
    CNA 3.0/leanKernel 4.2.0

Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    True, but the Charge is only 1/10 of an inch thicker and it has a LTE radio, so a slight modifcation to the current case could make it work! I hope and pray!
    That's a little surprising as the GSII looks so thin, although the Charge does have that bevel on the bottom to make it slightly thicker. But, 0.13-inches (or about 4 mm) can be a big distinction in the male measurement system compact electronics.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

It would be sweet if Samsung could release an LTE variant for Verizon, but I doubt that they will. They just released the Droid Charge, so I don't see how or why they would be compelled to do so. I really hope that they figure out how to get an LTE radio into without hacking its nice profile up too much.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

Quote Originally Posted by theonlychoman View Post
    I will say this. Despite all the talk of no LTE do NOT rule it out at this time. There is some noise about it being LTE.

Sent from my Droid
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,672 Global Posts
    ROM
    Project Elite/Raid Zero

Quote Originally Posted by e30kid View Post
    It would be sweet if Samsung could release an LTE variant for Verizon, but I doubt that they will. They just released the Droid Charge, so I don't see how or why they would be compelled to do so.
    There are many reasons why they would. Don't be surprised if it shows up as LTE compatible.

Sent from my Droid

Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    I will say this. Despite all the talk of no LTE do NOT rule it out at this time. There is some noise about it being LTE.
    You two are giving me hope! Stop it!

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by CK View Post
    There are many reasons why they would. Don't be surprised if it shows up as LTE compatible.
    The SGSII with LTE would pretty much rape any other phone on the market. I can only hope that this turns out to be an LTE phone.

Global Posts
    262 Global Posts

I'm already thinking of getting this phone over the Bionic even though I want LTE, if this somehow ends up getting LTE then I'm definitely getting it over the Bionic. After watching some Youtube videos, I was absolutely stunned by how well the phone was working.
    Last edited by SlowieFSU; 05-16-2011 at 07:27 PM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by e30kid View Post
    The SGSII with LTE would pretty much rape any other phone on the market. I can only hope that this turns out to be an LTE phone.
    It won't be. The leak that brought out the names of the different US versions pretty much confirms that it will not be LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    It won't be. The leak that brought out the names of the different US versions pretty much confirms that it will not be LTE.
    That's a downer
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    1,688 Global Posts
    ROM
    GummyCharge 1.9.1

Quote Originally Posted by Droid800 View Post
    It also claims it will have a kickstand, so...
    Telling a member to "search" is not the answer to a question.

Ok I got the Charge a week ago and stumbled upon these sub forums. I had no hope the GSII would have LTE. Now I'm torn between returning the Charge and waiting for the GSII (14 days). Is there any relative concrete info on when the GSII will be released? I definitely want LTE.
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

Quote Originally Posted by shobuddy View Post
    Ok I got the Charge a week ago and stumbled upon these sub forums. I had no hope the GSII would have LTE. Now I'm torn between returning the Charge and waiting for the GSII (14 days). Is there any relative concrete info on when the GSII will be released? I definitely want LTE.
    Nothing concrete, but I would bet a significant amount of money that it will not be out in the next 14 days. Not sure if that's what you meant, though.

There's also nothing even close to definite regarding LTE in the SGS2. In fact, I'd say the chances are better that it will not have LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterdroid View Post
    Nothing concrete, but I would bet a significant amount of money that it will not be out in the next 14 days. Not sure if that's what you meant, though.

There's also nothing even close to definite regarding LTE in the SGS2. In fact, I'd say the chances are better that it will not have LTE.
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

Thanks for confirming my suspicions
    Well, you could do what I did. It was painful but worth it.

I bought the OG Droid early last year, then started to get involved in the forum community and discovered the rumor threads about the HTC Incredible and the Verizon Nexus One (I'm sure this sounds familiar to you).

I waited until the end of my trial period with the Droid (it was 30 days back then, not 14), brought it back, and reactivated my old LG Envy to hold me over until one of those 2 phones came out.

It was a painful month and a half, but it was very much worth it. My Incredible has been as its name implies.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterdroid View Post
    Well, you could do what I did. It was painful but worth it.

I bought the OG Droid early last year, then started to get involved in the forum community and discovered the rumor threads about the HTC Incredible and the Verizon Nexus One (I'm sure this sounds familiar to you).

I waited until the end of my trial period with the Droid (it was 30 days back then, not 14), brought it back, and reactivated my old LG Envy to hold me over until one of those 2 phones came out.

It was a painful month and a half, but it was very much worth it. My Incredible has been as its name implies.
    I purchased my phone at Costco so I actually have 90 days to exchange the phone. I'm not really impressed with the Charge and was thinking of going the way of the Thunderbolt mainly because it can do simultaneous voice & data over 3G but the TB battery has me convinced otherwise. Like I said, I do want 4G and the only known 4G phone yet to come out is the Bionic.
    Fanboi

Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    ROM
    JellyBelly/Trinity

I purchased my phone at Costco so I actually have 90 days to exchange the phone. I'm not really impressed with the Charge and was thinking of going the way of the Thunderbolt mainly because it can do simultaneous voice & data over 3G but the TB battery has me convinced otherwise. Like I said, I do want 4G and the only known 4G phone yet to come out is the Bionic.
    Yeah. Honestly, I'm not sure then. I've been hearing mixed reviews about the Atrix, which has very similar hardware to the Bionic. It looks good on paper, but in practice seems to be just as laggy as single core phones with lower RAM.

The Charge may actually be your best bet, depending on whether or not the SGS2 has LTE and the state of the Bionic. I'd wait and see what the initial reviews of the Bionic say, though. It could be quite a beast if they get it right. Also, I'm guessing by the time the Bionic hits we'll have some kind of confirmation of whether or not the SGS2 has LTE.

As I've said before, I really don't expect that the initial GS2 on VZW will have LTE. Samsung wouldn't want to release another device with issues like the Fascinate had initially, and with the Charge being such a hit I would expect they would want it to work with LTE at least as well as that. Not to mention that they would absolutely kill its sales if they released the GS2 with LTE. They couldn't charge anymore than $299, and an LTE GS2 at the same price would make the Charge completely irrelevant, despite a pretty hefty investment from Samsung and VZW in bringing it to market, so I don't see them killing its sales that completely.

There's also the fact that Samsung likes to brag about how thin the GS2 is, and I doubt they'd want to make one until LTE radios are small enough to keep the device nice and thin. And don't forget that VZW still doesn't want to overload the LTE network, at least not until they have tiered pricing or a more robust network to lessen the load.

I expect the Function will come out soon as a 3g device, and then once the LTE network is more widespread and stable, and/or tiered pricing is in place to balance the load, LTE radios will be small and efficient enough for Samsung to make a GS2 revision with an LTE radio in place with little to no size or battery penalty. Then they can release it whenever they feel the sales of the Charge are dropping off.

Speaking of which, I don't see what's so disappointing about the Charge compared to the GS2? I have a Charge and I love it, the best LTE device by far. Maybe you don't like the form factor, but the screen and camera are the same as the GS2. Considering those are two of the features that everyone raves about the GS2 for, and ones you'll be dealing with frequently, I would expect it to provide a fairly similar experience. Granted, the GS2 will have much more powerful hardware, which is of course a huge advantage, but its really the main difference. The Charge handles pretty much anything you want to do just fine, and there are already a few good kernels and ROMs that can really speed it up. So until Android gets to the point where the single-core is really slowing down, and dual-core is a huge advantage, I don't see why the Charge is so far behind. Granted, I'd love a GS2 LTE as much as anybody, but I'm very happy with the Charge, and don't see how the experience will be all that different for some time to come, unless you plan on sticking with the stock TouchWiz launcher...

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiserdude View Post
    As I've said before, I really don't expect that the initial GS2 on VZW will have LTE. Samsung wouldn't want to release another device with issues like the Fascinate had initially, and with the Charge being such a hit I would expect they would want it to work with LTE at least as well as that. Not to mention that they would absolutely kill its sales if they released the GS2 with LTE. They couldn't charge anymore than $299, and an LTE GS2 at the same price would make the Charge completely irrelevant, despite a pretty hefty investment from Samsung and VZW in bringing it to market, so I don't see them killing its sales that completely.

There's also the fact that Samsung likes to brag about how thin the GS2 is, and I doubt they'd want to make one until LTE radios are small enough to keep the device nice and thin. And don't forget that VZW still doesn't want to overload the LTE network, at least not until they have tiered pricing or a more robust network to lessen the load.

I expect the Function will come out soon as a 3g device, and then once the LTE network is more widespread and stable, and/or tiered pricing is in place to balance the load, LTE radios will be small and efficient enough for Samsung to make a GS2 revision with an LTE radio in place with little to no size or battery penalty. Then they can release it whenever they feel the sales of the Charge are dropping off.

Speaking of which, I don't see what's so disappointing about the Charge compared to the GS2? I have a Charge and I love it, the best LTE device by far. Maybe you don't like the form factor, but the screen and camera are the same as the GS2. Considering those are two of the features that everyone raves about the GS2 for, and ones you'll be dealing with frequently, I would expect it to provide a fairly similar experience. Granted, the GS2 will have much more powerful hardware, which is of course a huge advantage, but its really the main difference. The Charge handles pretty much anything you want to do just fine, and there are already a few good kernels and ROMs that can really speed it up. So until Android gets to the point where the single-core is really slowing down, and dual-core is a huge advantage, I don't see why the Charge is so far behind. Granted, I'd love a GS2 LTE as much as anybody, but I'm very happy with the Charge, and don't see how the experience will be all that different for some time to come, unless you plan on sticking with the stock TouchWiz launcher...
    I can't compare it to other Android phones as this is my first but I find the charge to be slow and laggy.

Global Posts
    707 Global Posts
    ROM
    GNex: CM10. N7: stock

I can't compare it to other Android phones as this is my first but I find the charge to be slow and laggy.
    Do you have a bunch of widgets? Stock launcher? Live wallpaper? I had a fascinate, and with all of those it was laggy. As soon as you install launcher pro (or adw, go launcher, what have you) and get rid of most of the widgets, the speed is perfectly acceptable.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast