[How to][VZW GNote2] Root/Rom via Odin w/video

oldbmxer66

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little confused. Do you have to root first to have the custom ROM? Can you just do the custom ROM without rooting? What I really want is to get rid of all the stock bloat apps that I will never use.
I would like to put some ebooks in EPUB format on this device also. Any advice?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm a little confused. Do you have to root first to have the custom ROM? Can you just do the custom ROM without rooting? What I really want is to get rid of all the stock bloat apps that I will never use.
I would like to put some ebooks in EPUB format on this device also. Any advice?

Both options come with root access. The custom rom is already debloated. While the stock rootef version you will have to do yourself. I don't know what EPUB format is but I will look into it

Edit:
This seems to be a great resource on what readers support EPUB format. please share what ends up working for you, if you need any help figuring out how to get them to work let me know and i will work with you on it.
The Great Big List of Android eBook Apps

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what the minimum you can buy to activate it is and can't figure it out from their pathetic website.

Ok I got the sim card it was $15 dollar plan $45 activation fee. Ill try out the mod tonight when I get a chance

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok so i have it working on ATT go plan voice and data. but when i go to access points in my phone it shows up as Cingular 410. is that right do you think

AT&T and Cingular merged so perhaps you're connected with one of the towers that was originally Cingular's? Don't know for sure but as long as you're getting the data that's a;; that matters. Great!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
AT&T and Cingular merged so perhaps you're connected with one of the towers that was originally Cingular's? Don't know for sure but as long as you're getting the data that's a;; that matters. Great!

Is AT&T what you are going to use, i have no idea how to test that other access points will work without having sim cards from other networks.

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Is AT&T what you are going to use, i have no idea how to test that other access points will work without having sim cards from other networks.

I'm actually going to be using Wind in Italy but I'm not worried - if it works for At&T it will work on Wind and I already know their APN information. I just need to be able to input it into the phone (thanks Verizon - for nothing).

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually going to be using Wind in Italy but I'm not worried - if it works for At&T it will work on Wind and I already know their APN information. I just need to be able to input it into the phone (thanks Verizon - for nothing).

can you post the APN information for me?

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
can you post the APN information for me?

I believe it is just:

APN internet.wind
username (leave blank)
password (leave blank)

the phone I use when in Italy has everything else blank in the APN settings except MCC, MNC and authentication type but I don't think those need to be entered.

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
I see there's a Build 2 of Jelly 'Beans' out but when I download the zip file and "Extract Here" using 7-zip, I just get the folders from the compressed file and not the tar.md5 file like I did with Build 1.

It looks like I'm missing a step somewhere with this zip file but haven't quite figured it out yet. Can anyone provide some help or a good thread on how to describe doing this? Thanks!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I see there's a Build 2 of Jelly 'Beans' out but when I download the zip file and "Extract Here" using 7-zip, I just get the folders from the compressed file and not the tar.md5 file like I did with Build 1.

It looks like I'm missing a step somewhere with this zip file but haven't quite figured it out yet. Can anyone provide some help or a good thread on how to describe doing this? Thanks!

For build 2 i believe it requires an unlocked bootloader and a custom recovery. You are suppose to place the zip file on your sd card . Turn off your phone boot into the custom recovery then flash the zip file and this loads the rom onto your phone. I have been away from a computer the last couple of days or busy so I have not done any write up but ill try to get some up this week.

sparkomatic

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Oh, okay. That makes sense. So, it sounds like I'll need to follow the instructions over at XDA on how to unlock my bootloader and then I'll be able to flash the ROM from my SD card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude