[How to][VZW GNote2] Root/Rom via Odin w/video

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Oh, okay. That makes sense. So, it sounds like I'll need to follow the instructions over at XDA on how to unlock my bootloader and then I'll be able to flash the ROM from my SD card.

Yes this correct. If you need help let me know or I can do it for you when I have time.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

SHWELL

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the Writeup and offered assistance. I was able to get things going in the right direction.

1. Odin does not recognize my device if plugged in after Odin is already open. I have to plug in device and then open Odin for a Com port to be recognized.
2. "SAMSUNG" Splash screen is extremely glitchy and pixelated
3. "Google+ has failed" keeps popping up. I am able to get into Play Store and download updates to apps. But nothing Google related works, this includes Gmail as well as other Email accounts

4. CI605_I605VRLJB aka Revision 3 is the image I am using
5. Was going to try and use Rooted_stock_VRALJB 4.1.1 12/7/12, but when I use it in Odin it gets stuck at "NAND wirte Start"

I am not new to Rooting devices, but this one is def proving to be a thorn. I can see that the process isnt that difficult and i should have been able to do thsis with my experience, though limited.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the Writeup and offered assistance. I was able to get things going in the right direction.

1. Odin does not recognize my device if plugged in after Odin is already open. I have to plug in device and then open Odin for a Com port to be recognized.
2. "SAMSUNG" Splash screen is extremely glitchy and pixelated
3. "Google+ has failed" keeps popping up. I am able to get into Play Store and download updates to apps. But nothing Google related works, this includes Gmail as well as other Email accounts

4. CI605_I605VRLJB aka Revision 3 is the image I am using
5. Was going to try and use Rooted_stock_VRALJB 4.1.1 12/7/12, but when I use it in Odin it gets stuck at "NAND wirte Start"

I am not new to Rooting devices, but this one is def proving to be a thorn. I can see that the process isnt that difficult and i should have been able to do thsis with my experience, though limited.
This is very strange but if you work with me we will get you all fixed up.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
u should update the thread to have build 3 of jelly beans if you can

Sorry just seeing this now, Jelly beans build 3 is flashable through custom recovery and not through odin. I could make a flashable version for odin but the developers would not be very happy with me if i were to do that.

beefchopper

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I can write a tutorial based on what have seen posted but i dont have a sim card to make sure things work and help me decide what hurdels there could be so i can write one up but i need someone to test it or maybe i should find out how much an at&T sim is and buy one

Whenever you can find the time I'd still love to see a tutorial of how to get APN;s into a rooted and deodexed GN2. Thanks!

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I have followed the steps exactly, but in the Message section of Odin3 it states:
<id:0/007>Added!!
<id:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<id:0/007> File analysis..
<id:0/007> SetupConnection..
<id:0/007> Initialization..
<id:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<id:0/007> Firmware update start...
<id:0/007> y7zXZ
<id:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
and it hangs here - I have made sure there are no USB drivers installed, redid it and wiped factory (I unlocked already), but it will not move off this screen - my phone is stuck on Downloading.... DO not turn off Target...

I do not know what y7zXZ is.

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Try chrome maybe.
I would report/ask for help on this here http://forums.androidcentral.com/site-questions-announcements/ i wouldnt know how to fix this. But would def like to hear any solution they or you come up with.
Are you looking to just root or unlock aswell?

Already rooted via ExynosAbuse, interested in unlocking. However if I could get 1) enhanced multi-window and 2) make the external/internal SD switch without unlocking I would because I'm OK with the stock ROM. #1 appears possible via the .apk recompiles discussed on xda (or here). It's #2 that seems to require an new ROM which requires unlock.

I know it's your effort, but given that more than one person has problems with tabs having a single sectioned web page might be a good idea. But thanks for what you've done.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have followed the steps exactly, but in the Message section of Odin3 it states:
<id:0/007>Added!!
<id:0/007> Odin v.3 engine (ID:7)..
<id:0/007> File analysis..
<id:0/007> SetupConnection..
<id:0/007> Initialization..
<id:0/007> Get PIT for mapping..
<id:0/007> Firmware update start...
<id:0/007> y7zXZ
<id:0/007> NAND Write Start!!
and it hangs here - I have made sure there are no USB drivers installed, redid it and wiped factory (I unlocked already), but it will not move off this screen - my phone is stuck on Downloading.... DO not turn off Target...

I do not know what y7zXZ is.

You did not unzip the file

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Already rooted via ExynosAbuse, interested in unlocking. However if I could get 1) enhanced multi-window and 2) make the external/internal SD switch without unlocking I would because I'm OK with the stock ROM. #1 appears possible via the .apk recompiles discussed on xda (or here). It's #2 that seems to require an new ROM which requires unlock.

I know it's your effort, but given that more than one person has problems with tabs having a single sectioned web page might be a good idea. But thanks for what you've done.
Ill try to do that tomorrow if that's okay
Also you do not need to unlock for either of those mods

markyoung04

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I deleted everything, popped over to XDA and tried that and it worked fine so not sure why or how but at this point my bootloader is unlocked and Titanium Backup is rollin' :).

Thanks for your hard work.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I deleted everything, popped over to XDA and tried that and it worked fine so not sure why or how but at this point my bootloader is unlocked and Titanium Backup is rollin' :).

Thanks for your hard work.

Sounds like it could have been a download. y7zXz thing has happened to me and it was always because I forgot to unzip the file. Also were you closing out of Odin before trying to use it again? Odin will sometimes get locked in an error even if conditions have been fixed

Last edited:

universeand

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Ill try to do that tomorrow if that's okay
Also you do not need to unlock for either of those mods

Is there another way to widen the range of multitasking apps other than recompiling the ones you want to run as multitask as soon on xda? What is the method to switch external with the internal SD other than unlocking? Is it some kind of flash without unlocking? Thanks.