1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default [List][VZW GNote2]Remove Bloatware

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon

[WARN]
    Android Central, Creators of the modifications,nor myself take any responsibility for any modification you make to your own phone. Even if your phone sprouts legs, steals your car ,uses your credit cards or sleeps with your girl. NOT OUR FAULT

You MUST have a ROOTED device to make these modifications.

Follow Directions carefully, ask if you need help and above all else never panic.
    That being said, HAVE FUN!!
    [/WARN]
    [TITLE=Guide: Removing Bloatware][TAB=How to Freeze apps]Titanium Backup (paid app)
    One of the simplest ways of getting rid of bloat and one of my personal favorite apps is . Using Titanium backup you can freeze bloatware and if you want it can defrost it for future use. App cryogenics if you will.

Titanium Backup

Below is a flow chart demonstrating how to freeze and defrost apps.
    [/TAB][TAB=How to Rename apps]Using a File manager (free or paid)
    If you choose not to use Titanium backup there are other options.Using any File manager from the market that gives you root management such as or you can rename apps rendering them disabled and unable to restart themselves. The example below is using Root explorer but the basic principles would apply to any root file manager application.

Root Explorer

Making it root managing accessible:

Navigating Root Explorer:

Renaming an app apk to disable it ( to re-enable the app rename it from .bak to .apk)

The example below [/TAB][TAB=Bloatware List]

AllShare Play
    AllShare Service
    Amazon 2.011
    Amazon 2.05
    Amazon Kindle
    Amazon MP3
    Audible
    Backup Assitant
    com.samsung tutorial
    DirectConnect manager
    DirectShareManager
    Factory Mode
    Factory Test
    Google Play Mag
    Google Play Movies & TV
    Group Cast
    Help
    LCD test
    Market Feedback
    Media Hub
    Mobile tracker
    Music Hub
    My verizon mobile
    New Daemon
    NFC test
    NFL Mobile
    Phase beam
    Pickup Tutorial
    S suggest
    Self test mode
    Setup wizard 1.3
    Setup wizard 1.0
    Stock Daemon
    Sync Service
    TestService
    Verizon Remote diagnostic
    Viewdini
    Voicemail
    VPN Client
    VPNdialogs
    VZ Navigator
    Weather Daemon
    WiFI Direct
    WiFI Direct share
    Windy weather
    Yahoo Finance
    Yahoo News
    Zappos
    [/TAB][TAB=Credits]

• Skunkape60
    Thank you for the wonderful Titanium backup flow chart
    [/TAB][/TITLE]
    Last edited by DroidXcon; 12-18-2012 at 09:25 PM.
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: [List][VZW GNote2]Remove Bloatware

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    Awesome work XCon... about to follow your list now .
    Welcome, did you upgrade or just add the phone to your collection?
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Welcome, did you upgrade or just add the phone to your collection?
    Add to my collection. Refuse to lose unlimited data until I am absolutely forced too.
    lgoldstein83 likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Add to my collection. Refuse to lose unlimited data until I am absolutely forced too.
    yeah i used my fathers upgrade, when the S4 or note 3 come ill have to use my sisters lol
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    yeah i used my fathers upgrade, when the S4 or note 3 come ill have to use my sisters lol
    I hear ya lol. Going to have to start that as well soon.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I feel like this is common sense but just in case... If you use Weather or News in the lock screen then DO NOT disable/freeze Weather and/or News Dameon.
    yeah leave them i believe
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 

Hey DroidXcon - Many thanks for putting up this bloatware list. I'm going through it at this very moment to eliminate all unnecessary background processing.

I'm not renaming or deleting any of them at this time as I'm trying to be conservative with how I handle this phone, at least out of the gate. I've rooted just to try to UNDO some of the evil performed at the hands of 'the carrier'. That said - I'm still interested in making sure that I'm able to receive updates from Verizon, a few typically get sent out immediately after launches to address issues. I'm not familiar with all of the apps on this list; can you explain the purpose of the following:

1) DirectConnect mgr and DirectShareMgr
    2) Factory Mode and Factory Test
    3) LCD Test
    4) Market Feedback
    5) Mobile Tracker
    6) Phase Beam
    7) Pickup Tutorial
    8) Self test Mode
    9) Setup Wizard 1.3 and Setup Wizard 1.0
    10) Sync Service and Test Service
    11) VPN client and VPNdialogs
    12) WIFI Direct and WIFI Direct share

I've googled a few of these with marginal results at best. Just interested in understanding how they're used in conjunction with this phone to determine if I have any personal use cases which would required them.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by DarkChylde-QC View Post
    Hey DroidXcon - Many thanks for putting up this bloatware list. I'm going through it at this very moment to eliminate all unnecessary background processing.

I'm not renaming or deleting any of them at this time as I'm trying to be conservative with how I handle this phone, at least out of the gate. I've rooted just to try to UNDO some of the evil performed at the hands of 'the carrier'. That said - I'm still interested in making sure that I'm able to receive updates from Verizon, a few typically get sent out immediately after launches to address issues. I'm not familiar with all of the apps on this list; can you explain the purpose of the following:

1) DirectConnect mgr and DirectShareMgr
    2) Factory Mode and Factory Test
    3) LCD Test
    4) Market Feedback
    5) Mobile Tracker
    6) Phase Beam
    7) Pickup Tutorial
    8) Self test Mode
    9) Setup Wizard 1.3 and Setup Wizard 1.0
    10) Sync Service and Test Service
    11) VPN client and VPNdialogs
    12) WIFI Direct and WIFI Direct share

I've googled a few of these with marginal results at best. Just interested in understanding how they're used in conjunction with this phone to determine if I have any personal use cases which would required them.
    Honestly I don't know how they effect usage most of them I disabled with no ill effect to MY personal usage of the phone. Others Were reported to me as being able to disable by forum members.They very well May break functions that I never use therefore don't know about. The only one I know for sure is setup wizard which sets up the phone in activation. Besides that I can just guess that the test apps are for developer diagnostics. Vpn client is for virtual private network to share data with a remote network. Please report to us if you find that sdisabling any of these cause any problems in functionality.
    Sorry if I want any help

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 

No worries, DXC - as always, I appreciate the response. Thus far, freezing them has caused no issues to my phone. That 'Phase Beam' turned out to be live wallpaper. I'll definitely advise if any issues arise. I'm kind of on hold right now with downloading new apps and trying new functionality, given the Exynos exploit issue that is affecting all GN2 phones atm.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

No worries, DXC - as always, I appreciate the response. Thus far, freezing them has caused no issues to my phone. That 'Phase Beam' turned out to be live wallpaper. I'll definitely advise if any issues arise. I'm kind of on hold right now with downloading new apps and trying new functionality, given the Exynos exploit issue that is affecting all GN2 phones atm.
    Just use the app and plug the hole. [App] OneClick Root/Patch security exploit
    Thanked by:
    Johnly 

I found out that the WiFi direct will cause some issues with the S Pen. When you use the button on the S Pen and use it to circle something for a picture it will sit there for a period of time and give you a force close. You can turn off WiFi direct Share and it will work but I think for that function you need WiFi direct.

Thank you for the bloatware update, creccaj1. I tried it out, and although I had a slight delay processing the cut out image, i didn't get a fc. I'll defrost the app just the same, though. Better safe than sorry, right?

Thank you for the bloatware update, creccaj1. I tried it out, and although I had a slight delay processing the cut out image, i didn't get a fc. I'll defrost the app just the same, though. Better safe than sorry, right?
    That's strange actually lol. I literally froze the app and got a force close and then unfroze and worked fine. Only app that gave me a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Xparent ICS Tapatalk 2

Default [List][VZW GNote2]Remove Bloatware

Do you guys recommend deleting the bloat ware or freezing? I want to free up space on my phone. I just rooted tonight and I am running the OS that came on the phone.

I also want to move apps to the SD card. Do I need to flash another rom to do this? If so, which rom would be good for a noob?
    iPhone 5S+Galaxy S5 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Follow Me:

App.Net: sleepnclass
    Twitter: sleepnclass

Peace & Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeadbaby View Post
    Do you guys recommend deleting the bloat ware or freezing? I want to free up space on my phone. I just rooted tonight and I am running the OS that came on the phone.

I also want to move apps to the SD card. Do I need to flash another rom to do this? If so, which rom would be good for a noob?
    Don't delete the bloatware. Reason is if you delete the bloat its gone forever (duh I know) but if you ever want to go back to stock in order to receive an OTA you need to restore certain bloatware in order to make sure your phone is recognized for the update. Freezing it is not a problem since you can unfreeze when and if you want to stick with stock and get an OTA. However, deleting the bloat will mean you may need to restore to stock with ODIN in order to get an OTA.
    Thanked by 2:

Don't delete the bloatware. Reason is if you delete the bloat its gone forever (duh I know) but if you ever want to go back to stock in order to receive an OTA you need to restore certain bloatware in order to make sure your phone is recognized for the update. Freezing it is not a problem since you can unfreeze when and if you want to stick with stock and get an OTA. However, deleting the bloat will mean you may need to restore to stock with ODIN in order to get an OTA.
    Thanks for replying. I think instead of dealing with the bloat ware problem myself I'll just load the beans rom. It looks nice and many people here seem to like it.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2
    iPhone 5S+Galaxy S5 user. Google Glass Explorer.

Follow Me:

App.Net: sleepnclass
    Twitter: sleepnclass

Peace & Blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by thedeadbaby View Post
    Thanks for replying. I think instead of dealing with the bloat ware problem myself I'll just load the beans rom. It looks nice and many people here seem to like it.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2
    That works too. Custom ROMs like Beans or CleanROM will remove the majority of the bloat but some of it will remain because they are features of the phone that some users will use while others will not. I still go through the list and freeze anything I don't need but a good chunk of the list is gone when you flash a custom ROM.