How do you unlock the bootloader?

raffitou

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Have my device rooted and running a rooted rom. Would like to unlock my bootloader so I can run a couple roms I saw on xda developers including an updated rom by beans but they need to have the bootloader unblocked. The instrucions and video on xda seem too complicated. Is there a simpler way or should I wait for one to come? I dont know about adb mode which it seems you need to know to unlock it their way. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Have my device rooted and running a rooted rom. Would like to unlock my bootloader so I can run a couple roms I saw on xda developers including an updated rom by beans but they need to have the bootloader unblocked. The instrucions and video on xda seem too complicated. Is there a simpler way or should I wait for one to come? I dont know about adb mode which it seems you need to know to unlock it their way. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Its pretty simple, i have not done a write up yet because i want to let Adam work out the kinks and come out with a final version. then i will have a detailed step by step write up here. or sometime this week i could do it for you over screen share.

Rolfsted

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
The process has become simpler. I waited several days before I unlocked and flashed.

Windows 8 made it more challenging. But somehow I muddled through and did it. There were a few sweaty palms moments.

If you can......wait another week or so.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Android Central Forums

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The process has become simpler. I waited several days before I unlocked and flashed.

Windows 8 made it more challenging. But somehow I muddled through and did it. There were a few sweaty palms moments.

If you can......wait another week or so.

What about win 8 made it harder. I have not heard many good things about win 8

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Rolfsted

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
Windows 8 wouldn't let Odin recognize the files. Odin showed the Note 2 was connected but when I went to the folders the files would not show. It was like they just weren't there. That drove me nuts. Finally I saw a post that in Windows 8 to right click on Odin and run trouble shooting. So it finally had me run Odin as Windows XP service pack 3.

Also I had to find a post with the proper java jdk files from Oracle. That let the casual program that, I think Adam Outler made, run in Windows 8.

Then too I had to know that I had 32bit version and that takes different java files.

Realize....I have no idea about development at all. I am a testament to reading and searching and reading.

I always told my two young boys that if they learned to read well, there would be nothing they couldn't figure out how to do in their lives.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Windows 8 wouldn't let Odin recognize the files. Odin showed the Note 2 was connected but when I went to the folders the files would not show. It was like they just weren't there. That drove me nuts. Finally I saw a post that in Windows 8 to right click on Odin and run trouble shooting. So it finally had me run Odin as Windows XP service pack 3.

Also I had to find a post with the proper java jdk files from Oracle. That let the casual program that, I think Adam Outler made, run in Windows 8.

Then too I had to know that I had 32bit version and that takes different java files.

Realize....I have no idea about development at all. I am a testament to reading and searching and reading.

I always told my two young boys that if they learned to read well, there would be nothing they couldn't figure out how to do in their lives.

Thank you very much for sharing when I do my write up I will include this into the trouble shooting section:thumbup:

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Strange, my ODIN had no issues recognizing files during the root process. Didn't unlock yet so maybe it is something with the unlock files but I didn't experience any issues running W8 Pro.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I unlocked my bootloader and Adam has definitely worked to revise the process quite a bit and make it easier. Its worth it given the new flood of custom ROM's available.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
There will be guide that addresses this very soon. It is in the works and will be posted very soon. Putting together the final details so that it is easy and simple to follow.

imaposer

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
There will be guide that addresses this very soon. It is in the works and will be posted very soon. Putting together the final details so that it is easy and simple to follow.

I have a note 2 on order, should be here Wed. I've been reading the writeup for rooting, downloaded the needed drivers and such, and feel comfortable doing that when I get it. My question is, should I do it taking my phone to beans v1 that is linked in the thread up top, or should I wait and do the bootloader unlock first and then go straight to beans v3? I'm just a casual user, and def. not hard core in to having the latest and greatest mods, but after my experience with my S2 where I had to root it to go back to GB, I liked being able to do things like turn off automatic updates and eliminate all the sprint crap that was loaded on that phone.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I have a note 2 on order, should be here Wed. I've been reading the writeup for rooting, downloaded the needed drivers and such, and feel comfortable doing that when I get it. My question is, should I do it taking my phone to beans v1 that is linked in the thread up top, or should I wait and do the bootloader unlock first and then go straight to beans v3? I'm just a casual user, and def. not hard core in to having the latest and greatest mods, but after my experience with my S2 where I had to root it to go back to GB, I liked being able to do things like turn off automatic updates and eliminate all the sprint crap that was loaded on that phone.

Unlock your bootloader first BEFORE doing anything. Check my guide in my signature below.