I'm considering a Note 2 (from Galaxy Nexus) and would like your advice

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I've had my Galaxy Nexus for a year. I'm getting a little itchy to try new hardware. However, I'm kinda addicted to installing nightlies. Sometimes if a ROM isn't updated frequently enough I switch to a new ROM. It's crazy I know but I enjoy the newness of installing and playing with ROMs.

The Galaxy Nexus is made for this. But I like the large size of the Note 2. I also like a lot of the features Samsung has added such as the Spen and multiple apps on the same screen, etc.

So, the big questions are:

1. It looks like it's pretty easy to root and unlock the boot loader, but is there a lot of support from the developer community? Are there a lot of ROMs to choose from?

2. If I install a ROM will I lose the Samsung features like Spen and multiple apps, etc?

3. Is the bigger screen worth the effort?

I don't have any issues with my Nexus. It's been the best smart phone I've used. Is it worth the change to a Note 2?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

1. It looks like it's pretty easy to root and unlock the boot loader, but is there a lot of support from the developer community? Are there a lot of ROMs to choose from?

There are a handful of developers so a couple of roms. And looks like there will be more developers getting the phone so more roms will come. But don't expect the same development community as a nexus device.

2. If I install a ROM will I lose the Samsung features like Spen and multiple apps, etc?

You will lose things like page buddy but I don't think they will strip out functionality completely

I don't have any issues with my Nexus. It's been the best smart phone I've used. Is it worth the change to a Note 2?

I had the Gnex and it seems like a toy now. But that's just my opinion

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

There are a handful of developers so a couple of roms. And looks like there will be more developers getting the phone so more roms will come. But don't expect the same development community as a nexus device.

You will lose things like page buddy but I don't think they will strip out functionality completely

I had the Gnex and it seems like a toy now. But that's just my opinion

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

I agree with pretty much all of this. You will have decent developer support but nothing like the Nexus.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree with pretty much all of this. You will have decent developer support but nothing like the Nexus.

I see on Engadget today (link) that Samsung will release a developer edition of the Note 2 for Verizon. I wonder how this will change the picture, if at all.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I see on Engadget today (link) that Samsung will release a developer edition of the Note 2 for Verizon. I wonder how this will change the picture, if at all.

It might speed up the development of custom ROMS, etc. I gave up my GNEX for the Note 2 and do not regret it one bit. I still have my GNEX if I want to go ROM crazy, but the Note is such a beast out of the box, I don't feel the need to even root or ROM (yet). By the time I do, I'm sure there will be plenty of dev support...this phone is so much better in so many ways than almost any device I've ever used, and I have not even gone beyond stock with Nova Launcher.

And the Note has built in a couple nice little features that I loved about custom ROMS, like the "kill all" option in recent apps, and the ability to show battery percentage in the notification area. Personal choice for me that I happen to like those features, some may not care.

I haven't even scratched the surface of using the S-Pen. I made a to-do list, and use it to navigate sometimes, but there are so many cool things possible, it's almost overwhelming. Plus the multi-window feature, the amazing, big screen.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

They did the same thing with the GS3 but once the bootloader was unlocked (which it is on the Note 2 already) it didn't make a difference. Basically if you unlock the bootloader on our current Note 2.. its a developer edition.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
They did the same thing with the GS3 but once the bootloader was unlocked (which it is on the Note 2 already) it didn't make a difference. Basically if you unlock the bootloader on our current Note 2.. its a developer edition.

^ This. The "developer editions" seem like such a waste if they are released so long after the regular device is released. Not sure I see the point really, other than helping in the ROM development area a little.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
^ This. The "developer editions" seem like such a waste if they are released so long after the regular device is released. Not sure I see the point really, other than helping in the ROM development area a little.

I guess there are 2 reasons behind it... one stems from the other really.

1. Samsung didn't think that anyone would unlock the bootloader (not smart on their part)
2. Because of #1, alternative for someone who doesn't want to take the time to do it themselves (you all know there are those lazy people out there with too much money)

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
It might speed up the development of custom ROMS, etc. I gave up my GNEX for the Note 2 and do not regret it one bit. I still have my GNEX if I want to go ROM crazy, but the Note is such a beast out of the box, I don't feel the need to even root or ROM (yet). By the time I do, I'm sure there will be plenty of dev support...this phone is so much better in so many ways than almost any device I've ever used, and I have not even gone beyond stock with Nova Launcher.

And the Note has built in a couple nice little features that I loved about custom ROMS, like the "kill all" option in recent apps, and the ability to show battery percentage in the notification area. Personal choice for me that I happen to like those features, some may not care.

I haven't even scratched the surface of using the S-Pen. I made a to-do list, and use it to navigate sometimes, but there are so many cool things possible, it's almost overwhelming. Plus the multi-window feature, the amazing, big screen.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not a "purist" by any means. I like to install ROMs with all of the added bells and whistles like you mention above. That's why I try so many ROMs on my Nexus. Sometimes I install an AOSP ROM (which is pure Google with no added features) and I'm bored within a few hours.

The problem I have with changing phones is will I like as much as an AOKP ROM with souped up features? I do like TouchWiz, which I have on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, a lot more than vanilla Google. I wish there was a way to test drive the Note 2 for a week. Even only a day I'd know if it was what I wanted. I don't even know anyone who owns one or I'd bug them. Maybe I can just go to a Verizon store and explore for a couple hours.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not a "purist" by any means. I like to install ROMs with all of the added bells and whistles like you mention above. That's why I try so many ROMs on my Nexus. Sometimes I install an AOSP ROM (which is pure Google with no added features) and I'm bored within a few hours.

The problem I have with changing phones is will I like as much as an AOKP ROM with souped up features? I do like TouchWiz, which I have on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, a lot more than vanilla Google. I wish there was a way to test drive the Note 2 for a week. Even only a day I'd know if it was what I wanted. I don't even know anyone who owns one or I'd bug them. Maybe I can just go to a Verizon store and explore for a couple hours.

Does your galaxy tab have JB yet? If you like TW on your tablet you will be more than happy with TW on the Note running on top of JB.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Droid_Evo_8

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Coming from the Nexus to the Note 2, the 3 best things that I love about the Note 2 are: bigger screen, quad-core processor, AND awesome battery life which made me not miss the Nexus not just one bit. I got lucky cause the day that I got my Note 2 was also the day that my Nexus "died. (charging port is already jacked up). So instead of getting it fixed, I just ended up buying the Note 2 instead. No complaints, no regrets. :D

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I kinda miss the soft keys of the gnex and being able to customize them. But from a purely functional standpoint the only thing I really miss are the navring targets from the custom roms.

Sent from my SCH-I605

NRA_Bear

Jul 22, 2011
Visit site
While I do miss the massive developer support of my old GNex I've been blown away by the battery life of the GN2. With the old device I used to panic a little when I knew I was going somewhere that wouldn't have wifi or juice for my GNex, even with the extended battery. At 50%-40% I would start to worry and turn off LTE, wifi, and bluetooth. At 30% I would turn off mobile data completely. Even then I'd be lucky to make it a full day on the VZW network. The battery life on the GNex was fatal to our relationship.

With the GN2 I stream Slacker over bluetooth on the 30 min commute to/from work without plugging it in, use the screen for a couple of hours a day, leave all the radios on, and I still have plenty of juice left at bedtime. I never feel the need to charge the phone between my daily outings as I used to. The quad core and screen are great, but the battery life alone makes the switch worth it IMO. I'm sure some of the Samsung features will be sacrificed in custom ROMs, but I haven't really used the spen that much anyways.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Does your galaxy tab have JB yet? If you like TW on your tablet you will be more than happy with TW on the Note running on top of JB.

Sent from my SCH-I605

No, I only have the Samsung supplied ICS. Samsung won't ever provide JB for the Tab 10.1 so I'd have to root and unlock to put on a JB ROM. I've been waiting for a stable version that includes support for the front camera and microphone. I think there's one available so I'll be doing that over the holiday.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
I kinda miss the soft keys of the gnex and being able to customize them. But from a purely functional standpoint the only thing I really miss are the navring targets from the custom roms.

Sent from my SCH-I605

Oh, ouch, I forgot about that. Probably the biggest thing I like about the Nexus is there are no hard buttons. I have 5 navigation buttons in an order different than stock. My ROM allows me to put up to 7 buttons on the nav bar. One of them is the phone button. I like the ability to use the phone in any direction with up being down and vice versa. I'd sorely miss that. The nav bar is the first thing I customize when installing a new ROM.

I may have to rethink this. Maybe I'll set my nav bar back to 3 buttons (does the note use only 3 buttons on the nav bar including the hard button?) for a week or so and see if I can live with that.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh, ouch, I forgot about that. Probably the biggest thing I like about the Nexus is there are no hard buttons. I have 5 navigation buttons in an order different than stock. My ROM allows me to put up to 7 buttons on the nav bar. One of them is the phone button. I like the ability to use the phone in any direction with up being down and vice versa. I'd sorely miss that. The nav bar is the first thing I customize when installing a new ROM.

I may have to rethink this. Maybe I'll set my nav bar back to 3 buttons (does the note use only 3 buttons on the nav bar including the hard button?) for a week or so and see if I can live with that.

Yep. Note has menu, home and back keys. I use a launcher so I can have a scrolling dock for all the apps I use the most, like phone, messaging, email, contacts, browser, etc. That leaves my screens open for whatever I decide I want as far as widgets. I actually never had more than three soft keys enabled on my gnex nav bar, I like things simplified as much as possible.

You would definitely have to get used to doing things a little different, but for me it was worth it. I was messing around with my gnex last night flashing a new ROM and realized I don't miss it one bit. The Roms and customizations will come along soon enough for the Note, and then it will be a beast on steroids!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
To anyone sitting on a Galaxy Nexus who has the ability to upgrade to the Note 2.... honestly, what are you waiting for. The Galaxy Nexus isn't great, hell it's not even good. The difference in performance going from that to the Note 2 is insane, minimally. The fact that the screen is no longer pentile is worth it alone. Tack on the additional size and Wacom digitizer + stylus and it's a sold deal.

As far as the whole ROM support goes, what do you need? Really? Want your phone to look AOSP? It can, while maintaining all the functionality it has stock out of the box. Hell this phones already got CM10 on it, I mean really now it's been less than a month out for Verizon, about 2-2.5 months international. What. More. Could. You. Want. Period.

Get this phone, stop reading and order it now.

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
The phone is way better then the nexus and I liked my nexus.. But it kills it in battery life which is one reason why I switched. Love multi view too.. I think it just kills the nexus. I like a lot of the added touchwiz features and I'm not a big touchwiz fan. But the development community is nothing like the nexus. Never will be. But it's good enough for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy