Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By lpt2569
  • 2 Post By creccaj1
  • 1 Post By lpt2569
  • 2 Post By creccaj1
  • 2 Post By Droid_Evo_8
  • 2 Post By DaRkL3AD3R
  • 1 Post By creccaj1
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I'm considering a Note 2 (from Galaxy Nexus) and would like your advice

I've had my Galaxy Nexus for a year. I'm getting a little itchy to try new hardware. However, I'm kinda addicted to installing nightlies. Sometimes if a ROM isn't updated frequently enough I switch to a new ROM. It's crazy I know but I enjoy the newness of installing and playing with ROMs.

The Galaxy Nexus is made for this. But I like the large size of the Note 2. I also like a lot of the features Samsung has added such as the Spen and multiple apps on the same screen, etc.

So, the big questions are:

1. It looks like it's pretty easy to root and unlock the boot loader, but is there a lot of support from the developer community? Are there a lot of ROMs to choose from?

2. If I install a ROM will I lose the Samsung features like Spen and multiple apps, etc?

3. Is the bigger screen worth the effort?

I don't have any issues with my Nexus. It's been the best smart phone I've used. Is it worth the change to a Note 2?

Default Re: I'm considering a Note 2 (from Galaxy Nexus) and would like your advice

I can't answer number 1 and 2, but number 3 is a yes.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Default Re: I'm considering a Note 2 (from Galaxy Nexus) and would like your advice

1. It looks like it's pretty easy to root and unlock the boot loader, but is there a lot of support from the developer community? Are there a lot of ROMs to choose from?

There are a handful of developers so a couple of roms. And looks like there will be more developers getting the phone so more roms will come. But don't expect the same development community as a nexus device.

2. If I install a ROM will I lose the Samsung features like Spen and multiple apps, etc?

You will lose things like page buddy but I don't think they will strip out functionality completely

I don't have any issues with my Nexus. It's been the best smart phone I've used. Is it worth the change to a Note 2?

I had the Gnex and it seems like a toy now. But that's just my opinion

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post

There are a handful of developers so a couple of roms. And looks like there will be more developers getting the phone so more roms will come. But don't expect the same development community as a nexus device.

You will lose things like page buddy but I don't think they will strip out functionality completely

I had the Gnex and it seems like a toy now. But that's just my opinion

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    I agree with pretty much all of this. You will have decent developer support but nothing like the Nexus.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by creccaj1 View Post
    I agree with pretty much all of this. You will have decent developer support but nothing like the Nexus.
    I see on Engadget today (link) that Samsung will release a developer edition of the Note 2 for Verizon. I wonder how this will change the picture, if at all.

Quote Originally Posted by TabGuy View Post
    I see on Engadget today (link) that Samsung will release a developer edition of the Note 2 for Verizon. I wonder how this will change the picture, if at all.
    It might speed up the development of custom ROMS, etc. I gave up my GNEX for the Note 2 and do not regret it one bit. I still have my GNEX if I want to go ROM crazy, but the Note is such a beast out of the box, I don't feel the need to even root or ROM (yet). By the time I do, I'm sure there will be plenty of dev support...this phone is so much better in so many ways than almost any device I've ever used, and I have not even gone beyond stock with Nova Launcher.

And the Note has built in a couple nice little features that I loved about custom ROMS, like the "kill all" option in recent apps, and the ability to show battery percentage in the notification area. Personal choice for me that I happen to like those features, some may not care.

I haven't even scratched the surface of using the S-Pen. I made a to-do list, and use it to navigate sometimes, but there are so many cool things possible, it's almost overwhelming. Plus the multi-window feature, the amazing, big screen.
    MERCDROID likes this.

They did the same thing with the GS3 but once the bootloader was unlocked (which it is on the Note 2 already) it didn't make a difference. Basically if you unlock the bootloader on our current Note 2.. its a developer edition.
    lpt2569 and MERCDROID like this.

They did the same thing with the GS3 but once the bootloader was unlocked (which it is on the Note 2 already) it didn't make a difference. Basically if you unlock the bootloader on our current Note 2.. its a developer edition.
    ^ This. The "developer editions" seem like such a waste if they are released so long after the regular device is released. Not sure I see the point really, other than helping in the ROM development area a little.
    Thanked by:
    creccaj1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by lpt2569 View Post
    ^ This. The "developer editions" seem like such a waste if they are released so long after the regular device is released. Not sure I see the point really, other than helping in the ROM development area a little.
    I guess there are 2 reasons behind it... one stems from the other really.

1. Samsung didn't think that anyone would unlock the bootloader (not smart on their part)
    2. Because of #1, alternative for someone who doesn't want to take the time to do it themselves (you all know there are those lazy people out there with too much money)
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

It might speed up the development of custom ROMS, etc. I gave up my GNEX for the Note 2 and do not regret it one bit. I still have my GNEX if I want to go ROM crazy, but the Note is such a beast out of the box, I don't feel the need to even root or ROM (yet). By the time I do, I'm sure there will be plenty of dev support...this phone is so much better in so many ways than almost any device I've ever used, and I have not even gone beyond stock with Nova Launcher.

And the Note has built in a couple nice little features that I loved about custom ROMS, like the "kill all" option in recent apps, and the ability to show battery percentage in the notification area. Personal choice for me that I happen to like those features, some may not care.

I haven't even scratched the surface of using the S-Pen. I made a to-do list, and use it to navigate sometimes, but there are so many cool things possible, it's almost overwhelming. Plus the multi-window feature, the amazing, big screen.
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not a "purist" by any means. I like to install ROMs with all of the added bells and whistles like you mention above. That's why I try so many ROMs on my Nexus. Sometimes I install an AOSP ROM (which is pure Google with no added features) and I'm bored within a few hours.

The problem I have with changing phones is will I like as much as an AOKP ROM with souped up features? I do like TouchWiz, which I have on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, a lot more than vanilla Google. I wish there was a way to test drive the Note 2 for a week. Even only a day I'd know if it was what I wanted. I don't even know anyone who owns one or I'd bug them. Maybe I can just go to a Verizon store and explore for a couple hours.

Thanks for the thoughtful reply. I'm not a "purist" by any means. I like to install ROMs with all of the added bells and whistles like you mention above. That's why I try so many ROMs on my Nexus. Sometimes I install an AOSP ROM (which is pure Google with no added features) and I'm bored within a few hours.

The problem I have with changing phones is will I like as much as an AOKP ROM with souped up features? I do like TouchWiz, which I have on my Galaxy Tab 10.1, a lot more than vanilla Google. I wish there was a way to test drive the Note 2 for a week. Even only a day I'd know if it was what I wanted. I don't even know anyone who owns one or I'd bug them. Maybe I can just go to a Verizon store and explore for a couple hours.
    Does your galaxy tab have JB yet? If you like TW on your tablet you will be more than happy with TW on the Note running on top of JB.

Sent from my SCH-I605

ROM
    Stock

Coming from the Nexus to the Note 2, the 3 best things that I love about the Note 2 are: bigger screen, quad-core processor, AND awesome battery life which made me not miss the Nexus not just one bit. I got lucky cause the day that I got my Note 2 was also the day that my Nexus "died. (charging port is already jacked up). So instead of getting it fixed, I just ended up buying the Note 2 instead. No complaints, no regrets.

I kinda miss the soft keys of the gnex and being able to customize them. But from a purely functional standpoint the only thing I really miss are the navring targets from the custom roms.

Sent from my SCH-I605

ROM
    JellyBro

While I do miss the massive developer support of my old GNex I've been blown away by the battery life of the GN2. With the old device I used to panic a little when I knew I was going somewhere that wouldn't have wifi or juice for my GNex, even with the extended battery. At 50%-40% I would start to worry and turn off LTE, wifi, and bluetooth. At 30% I would turn off mobile data completely. Even then I'd be lucky to make it a full day on the VZW network. The battery life on the GNex was fatal to our relationship.

With the GN2 I stream Slacker over bluetooth on the 30 min commute to/from work without plugging it in, use the screen for a couple of hours a day, leave all the radios on, and I still have plenty of juice left at bedtime. I never feel the need to charge the phone between my daily outings as I used to. The quad core and screen are great, but the battery life alone makes the switch worth it IMO. I'm sure some of the Samsung features will be sacrificed in custom ROMs, but I haven't really used the spen that much anyways.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Does your galaxy tab have JB yet? If you like TW on your tablet you will be more than happy with TW on the Note running on top of JB.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    No, I only have the Samsung supplied ICS. Samsung won't ever provide JB for the Tab 10.1 so I'd have to root and unlock to put on a JB ROM. I've been waiting for a stable version that includes support for the front camera and microphone. I think there's one available so I'll be doing that over the holiday.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

I kinda miss the soft keys of the gnex and being able to customize them. But from a purely functional standpoint the only thing I really miss are the navring targets from the custom roms.

Sent from my SCH-I605
    Oh, ouch, I forgot about that. Probably the biggest thing I like about the Nexus is there are no hard buttons. I have 5 navigation buttons in an order different than stock. My ROM allows me to put up to 7 buttons on the nav bar. One of them is the phone button. I like the ability to use the phone in any direction with up being down and vice versa. I'd sorely miss that. The nav bar is the first thing I customize when installing a new ROM.

I may have to rethink this. Maybe I'll set my nav bar back to 3 buttons (does the note use only 3 buttons on the nav bar including the hard button?) for a week or so and see if I can live with that.

Oh, ouch, I forgot about that. Probably the biggest thing I like about the Nexus is there are no hard buttons. I have 5 navigation buttons in an order different than stock. My ROM allows me to put up to 7 buttons on the nav bar. One of them is the phone button. I like the ability to use the phone in any direction with up being down and vice versa. I'd sorely miss that. The nav bar is the first thing I customize when installing a new ROM.

I may have to rethink this. Maybe I'll set my nav bar back to 3 buttons (does the note use only 3 buttons on the nav bar including the hard button?) for a week or so and see if I can live with that.
    Yep. Note has menu, home and back keys. I use a launcher so I can have a scrolling dock for all the apps I use the most, like phone, messaging, email, contacts, browser, etc. That leaves my screens open for whatever I decide I want as far as widgets. I actually never had more than three soft keys enabled on my gnex nav bar, I like things simplified as much as possible.

You would definitely have to get used to doing things a little different, but for me it was worth it. I was messing around with my gnex last night flashing a new ROM and realized I don't miss it one bit. The Roms and customizations will come along soon enough for the Note, and then it will be a beast on steroids!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

To anyone sitting on a Galaxy Nexus who has the ability to upgrade to the Note 2.... honestly, what are you waiting for. The Galaxy Nexus isn't great, hell it's not even good. The difference in performance going from that to the Note 2 is insane, minimally. The fact that the screen is no longer pentile is worth it alone. Tack on the additional size and Wacom digitizer + stylus and it's a sold deal.

As far as the whole ROM support goes, what do you need? Really? Want your phone to look AOSP? It can, while maintaining all the functionality it has stock out of the box. Hell this phones already got CM10 on it, I mean really now it's been less than a month out for Verizon, about 2-2.5 months international. What. More. Could. You. Want. Period.

Get this phone, stop reading and order it now.
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2 on Verizon
    Cyanogen Mod 10.1 Nightlies
    DroidXcon and lpt2569 like this.

ROM
    Stock

Build 4 is already out, Dark. Hehe

The phone is way better then the nexus and I liked my nexus.. But it kills it in battery life which is one reason why I switched. Love multi view too.. I think it just kills the nexus. I like a lot of the added touchwiz features and I'm not a big touchwiz fan. But the development community is nothing like the nexus. Never will be. But it's good enough for me.

While I agree that the Note 2 is a great phone, the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone in its own right. Yes, there is no questioning that the radios and battery life are very suspect. That is where the Note 2 will make a huge improvment for you if you decide to upgrade but I don't fully think that you can compare these 2 devices without taking it with a grain of salt. The Galaxy Nexus is built to be a developer device... I don't care what they advertised, it is a developer device. If you did not unlock it and flash something like CM10 or AOKP on the phone then it was not as good as it could have been.

The Note 2 is a phone that is more for the casual user that doesn't want to unlock and flash a ROM on your phone. While we have the option to do so, it is not necessary to take full advantage of the device. The Nexus was probably the BEST phone I have ever owned, I loved it. Running CM10 or AOKP with Franco Kernel the battery life was stellar and I never had any issues with the radios. While this is "not supposed" to be done according to Verizon, it was necessary. If you get a Nexus and don't plan to unlock it and flash on it you bought the wrong device. Just my take on it.

All that being said, the Note 2 is a very close second place. The size, the screen, the software and the wow factor just make this phone amazing. I took my GNex out of the cabinet the other day and it feels too small now. You have to remember though, they are for two different markets. If Verizon had a Nexus 4, I would be on that in a heart beat but this phone serves as a quality choice.
    siouxpernatural likes this.

While I agree that the Note 2 is a great phone, the Galaxy Nexus is a great phone in its own right. Yes, there is no questioning that the radios and battery life are very suspect. That is where the Note 2 will make a huge improvment for you if you decide to upgrade but I don't fully think that you can compare these 2 devices without taking it with a grain of salt. The Galaxy Nexus is built to be a developer device... I don't care what they advertised, it is a developer device. If you did not unlock it and flash something like CM10 or AOKP on the phone then it was not as good as it could have been.

The Note 2 is a phone that is more for the casual user that doesn't want to unlock and flash a ROM on your phone. While we have the option to do so, it is not necessary to take full advantage of the device. The Nexus was probably the BEST phone I have ever owned, I loved it. Running CM10 or AOKP with Franco Kernel the battery life was stellar and I never had any issues with the radios. While this is "not supposed" to be done according to Verizon, it was necessary. If you get a Nexus and don't plan to unlock it and flash on it you bought the wrong device. Just my take on it.

All that being said, the Note 2 is a very close second place. The size, the screen, the software and the wow factor just make this phone amazing. I took my GNex out of the cabinet the other day and it feels too small now. You have to remember though, they are for two different markets. If Verizon had a Nexus 4, I would be on that in a heart beat but this phone serves as a quality choice.
    Yeah I thought it was a decent phone but our opinions differ a bit because I think this phone blows the nexus out of the water. Battery life was abysmal when it came to the nexus as I could never make it through the day with heavy usage with the extended samsung battery. Franco kernal etc. Also the radios were not very good at all. Now I do like the look of stock android over touchwiz but I think as far as features go touchwiz is now alot better then stock. S pen features, multiwindow, pop up browser and video player camera is great and nexus phones never really have a great camera software. I do really miss quick reply in aosp though. Good thing beans is putting it in his next rom. One thing we both agree on is the nexus was totally a developer device. Roms were plentiful and the note 2 is not even close.

ONE BAD *** NOTE 2 ON A BAD *** JELLY ☆BEANS☆ ROM
    Last edited by youngzayiles; 01-02-2013 at 06:33 PM.