[MOD] Switch Internal for External Storage

SonOfUncleSam

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Intro:

If you?re like me, you?ve come from the ThunderBolt or a similar phone where most of what you save/did was saved on the ACTUAL external SD card, and not the phone emulated SD card. This will show you how to trick our phones to where the external SD card and the internal ?SD card?, are swapped.

This will be especially helpful if you plan on switching over to a new ROM in the future, and will help prevent data loss if something happens to your phone.

** Before proceeding, I am NOT responsible for damages that occur to your phone. If your phone magically grows legs and sleeps with your significant other, becomes a nuke bomb, or ends up being your housemaid, I am in no way responsible for that. **

Prereqs:

1) You MUST be rooted, and chances are, if you?re looking at this you are. But? the guide to that can be found here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...how-vzw-gnote2-root-rom-via-odin-w-video.html

2) Your boot loader MUST also be unlocked. The guide to that can be found here:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...our-note-2-bootloader-let-thy-phone-free.html

3) Clockwork Mod recovery MUST be installed (Download ROM Manager from Google Play)

4) You MUST be running the stock, rooted ROM.

Before proceeding, you need to determine which format you want to put your external SD card in. (Fat32 or exFat)

A note about exFat: Unfortunately, Clockwork Mod Recovery does NOT recognize the exFat format (as of 12-26-12). This may be an issue if you create regular nandroid backups, or if you plan on flashing other roms. [I myself chose Fat32 format for this reason]

After choosing which format to place your SD Card in, download the correct file below:

Fat32 (modified, and repackaged by me)
View attachment extsd2internalsd_i605_fat32.zip

exFat (made by ang3l12. Original post found here.)
extsd2internalsd_i605_exfat.zip

Process:

1) After downloading the file, place the file under a folder on your external SD Card (such as the ?Downloads? folder)
2) Reboot into recovery mode
3) Choose to install a zip file from the SD Card, and then choose to install from external SD Card
4) Navigate to the folder you placed your file in, open it, and select ?Yes?
5) Reboot and enjoy the larger amount of space!

* If you have issues, try this! * (I had to use this process for my phone)
1) Download SManager, or Script Manager from Google Play
2) When you start it for the first time, choose to navigate with Root access
3) Navigate to the ?/system/etc/init.d? folder
4) Choose the ?11extsd2internalsd? file
5) Click on the ?SU? and ?Boot? icons, press save and reboot.
6) That SHOULD fix the problem

Also, in the original guide, mattiadj suggests you format the SD Card, but I don't think its a necessary process.

After rebooting, wait about 30-60 seconds, navigate to ?Settings->Storage? and you should see this!

Storage.jpg

Credits:

I DID NOT make this mod, I simply edited and repackaged the exFat version ang3l12 made (which was based on mattiadj's script found here.)
This guide was also based off of the guide found in mattiadj's post on XDA.

Last edited:

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Re: Switch Internal for External Storage?

There probably is something out there, if you unlocked your bootloader you can always flash Beans B4. This comes with an option to enable sdSwap which will do exactly what you are asking to do. I will see if I can find anything that will allow you to do it without flashing anything.

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

This looks amazing. One pet peeve of my with the Note 2 is that the phone only came in 16gb. I put in a 64gb SDcard but still really couldn't take advantage of it. Just could put music and movies. Another reason I'm looking into having to unlock. This will work with the stock rom unlocked/rooted correct?

I used this video and worked perfectly...

Are you rooted and unlocked or just rooted? I see in the video he says you just needed to be rooted and running a TW based rom.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

This is great for moving and what not to the SD Card. I can't watch the video since I am at work but if it is like the title says, moving apps to the SD card and switching actual storage is different.

Unless I am mistaken I think the OP is looking for something that will basically make the phone default everything to the external SD Card and not the internal SD Card. I could be wrong just going on my assumption.

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

This is great for moving and what not to the SD Card. I can't watch the video since I am at work but if it is like the title says, moving apps to the SD card and switching actual storage is different.

Unless I am mistaken I think the OP is looking for something that will basically make the phone default everything to the external SD Card and not the internal SD Card. I could be wrong just going on my assumption.

That video is a script that does swap the extSdCard and internal SDCard so the phone thinks the extSdCard is the internal and well yeah the internal is now your external. Looks like both do the same thing. One with a script that you run and the other you posted you have to flash. Trying to figure out which would be the best option.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site

You only need to be rooted, but I can say if you are willing to be rooted, going unlocked and getting even more from your GN2 is well worth it. Many custom ROM's out there and Scott's CleanROM v3.5 based on the International 4.1.2 N7105 is awesome. It allows him to make one great ROM that easily allows you to choose your carrier settings he supports with the Aroma installer. Give it a try. His ROM is TW based and focused on keeping the stock benefits yet performance based and incredibly stable.

RLLangley

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

Just to add a note. Beans has this option when you install. Not sure if this is new to B4 but seems to be working great.

SonOfUncleSam

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
If I remember correctly, I believe this app uses a script in order to accomplish this. Once you hit the button to switch the SD cards, it will be done. However, when you restart your phone, it will be back to it's non-swapped state. (ie, normal) There is an option to apply this option on boot to keep it continuous.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay