Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By DroidXcon
  • 1 Post By crl95
  • 1 Post By N2myN2
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Factory Reset OK?

    Is it ok to just do a "Factory Reset" on my phone from the Backup and Reset Menu instead of flashing the Bootloader Baseline with Odin?
    All of this is like jumping off the high dive for the first time. After that it's all fun but the first time is the worst time. I'm waiting for a weekend off work to unlock my bootloader and mess around with custom ROMs. This may be the weekend.
    Thanks,
    Rob
  2. #2  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Are you unlocking? I don't think even that's necessary anymore. Make sure you have the latest version of casual. Someone else may want to chime in.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  3. #3  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2myN2 View Post
    Is it ok to just do a "Factory Reset" on my phone from the Backup and Reset Menu instead of flashing the Bootloader Baseline with Odin?
    All of this is like jumping off the high dive for the first time. After that it's all fun but the first time is the worst time. I'm waiting for a weekend off work to unlock my bootloader and mess around with custom ROMs. This may be the weekend.
    Thanks,
    Rob
    Why do you need to do either of those things

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by DroidXcon View Post
    Why do you need to do either of those things

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    Oh DUH! I'm unlocking the bootloader.
    Sorry, I forgot to include that part.
    Rob
  5. #5  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2myN2 View Post
    Oh DUH! I'm unlocking the bootloader.
    Sorry, I forgot to include that part.
    Rob
    You don't need to do either . You flash boot baseline only if you run into problems

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    N2myN2 likes this.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    So, when I unlock my bootloader (A. Outler method) will I still have my stock OS (JB 4.1.1)? Will it wipe my data or will I still have my apps and launcher? In other words, does it just unlock my bootloader and nothing else? nOOb I know but I just want to be ready.
    Thanks again,
    Rob
  7. #7  
    DroidXcon's Avatar

    Posts
    11,644 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock for now

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2myN2 View Post
    So, when I unlock my bootloader (A. Outler method) will I still have my stock OS (JB 4.1.1)? Will it wipe my data or will I still have my apps and launcher? In other words, does it just unlock my bootloader and nothing else? nOOb I know but I just want to be ready.
    Thanks again,
    Rob
    You will be rooted, stock and unlock. All data should be there unless something goes wrong and you need to flash back to stock with odin

    From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
  8. #8  
    crl95's Avatar

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Beans build 6

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2myN2 View Post
    So, when I unlock my bootloader (A. Outler method) will I still have my stock OS (JB 4.1.1)? Will it wipe my data or will I still have my apps and launcher? In other words, does it just unlock my bootloader and nothing else? nOOb I know but I just want to be ready.
    Thanks again,
    Rob
    DroidXcon helped me get the courage to do it to my phone for the first time too... He even helped me do it!.. Everything went well and I kept home screens and all my data it was almost as if nothing changed. As long as you follow the directions closely and read everything you should be fine. My confusion was over extrating the files in winrar after i downloaded them before i flashed them in odin which is why i needed help. If you understand that part the rest is simple
    DroidXcon likes this.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by crl95 View Post
    DroidXcon helped me get the courage to do it to my phone for the first time too... He even helped me do it!.. Everything went well and I kept home screens and all my data it was almost as if nothing changed. As long as you follow the directions closely and read everything you should be fine. My confusion was over extrating the files in winrar after i downloaded them before i flashed them in odin which is why i needed help. If you understand that part the rest is simple
    I have the files extracted and see a dogeared file. I assume I put that in Odin. Well, today is the day. Unlocked bootloader or bust! :-)
    Thanks DroidXcon and others. Here we go...
    crl95 likes this.
  10. #10  
    Bond32's Avatar

    Posts
    1,362 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,377 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock unrooted

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    I've bet ive unlocked/rom'ed about 10 times now. Not sure why but I end out restoring back to stock. Just comfortable to me.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  11. #11  
    crl95's Avatar

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Carrier
    Jelly Beans build 6

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bond32 View Post
    I've bet ive unlocked/rom'ed about 10 times now. Not sure why but I end out restoring back to stock. Just comfortable to me.

    Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Im really enjoying jelly beans build 6 and im sure once the note 2 falls behind in software updates you will want to again
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

    Default Re: Factory Reset OK?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2myN2 View Post
    I have the files extracted and see a dogeared file.
    I had to leave the SuckIt file zipped up and put it in Odin bootloader for it to work.
    Unlocked and rooted.
    HTH
    Rob

Similar Threads

  1. GS3 Sucessful root, freeze at startup, did factory reset-is this ok?
    By daveross in forum Sprint Galaxy S3 Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-27-2012, 10:37 PM
  2. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 02-06-2010, 05:32 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-17-2010, 05:04 PM
  4. Factory Reset and Payed Apps
    By debello in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2009, 05:07 PM
  5. factory reset
    By thequestionking33 in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2009, 08:03 AM

Posting Permissions