Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Newbie to Note 2 Root/Unlock needs help!!

I had a galaxy nexus and never had any issues. I know own a VZW note 2 and have spent a lot of time trying to root, back up with TIBU and then unlock to flash the AOKP rom that was just released. I have tried the casual/odin thing from XDA and I cannot seem to get it to work. If someone could please post a step by step way to do this. I am on windows 7 and have gotten casual to recognize my device. Stock is killing me. I want to be able to back up with TIbu rooted, then unlock and flash custom roms with my tiBU for call logs and SMS backup. Forgot to mention - I have stock with the update.

ROM
    Infected

Default Re: Newbie to Note 2 Root/Unlock needs help!!

Look at the stickied thread, everything is in there. Or head over to XDA (a bit more knowledgeable over there than here)

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by kashabrown View Post
    I had a galaxy nexus and never had any issues. I know own a VZW note 2 and have spent a lot of time trying to root, back up with TIBU and then unlock to flash the AOKP rom that was just released. I have tried the casual/odin thing from XDA and I cannot seem to get it to work. If someone could please post a step by step way to do this. I am on windows 7 and have gotten casual to recognize my device. Stock is killing me. I want to be able to back up with TIbu rooted, then unlock and flash custom roms with my tiBU for call logs and SMS backup. Forgot to mention - I have stock with the update.
    What part are you getting hung up on?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I connect the phone/open casual with java and it connects to the phone. It starts and then just hangs up. Not sure what to do next....
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I connect the phone - open casual with java - press "do it" then open odin and that's where I get stuck. The instructions are not clear at that point. I never used that software before and don't know how to load up the BAV Baseline file then the backatcha verizon file. I literally flashed a hundred roms on my galaxy nexus - I am extremely computer literate and just cannot seem to do this. I have tried quite a few times. Is there not a one click program that does all this?

Please someone help. I cannot stand this stock software anymore.

Thanks!!!

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

I connect the phone - open casual with java - press "do it" then open odin and that's where I get stuck. The instructions are not clear at that point. I never used that software before and don't know how to load up the BAV Baseline file then the backatcha verizon file. I literally flashed a hundred roms on my galaxy nexus - I am extremely computer literate and just cannot seem to do this. I have tried quite a few times. Is there not a one click program that does all this?

Please someone help. I cannot stand this stock software anymore.

Thanks!!!
    Would you like me to attempt to do it for you over screen sharing

Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Yes please!

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Yes please!
    Ok will you be available in about 2 hours. My bosses are still here at work

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Yes. It is 4:25PM ET here - I will be home in front of my computer @ 6:30PM ET. Will that work?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Turns out that I did something wrong - I was supposed to open the baseline with 7zip - never did that and that was why I was hung up. MANY many thanks to DroidXcon for his invaluable assistance!!!

I'm lost as well. CASUAL hang.s on You will need to use Odin. [Links for D/L provided] * to install the exploitable baseline located here: http://d-hst/Njj Waiting for device to return to Android after baseline flash.

I open Odin3 and browse to the BAVBaseline.tar.md5 file (under Bootloader) and click start. All I get in Message window is <OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0/ failed 0)

When I extract the boot.img file from the tar like the previous person said, Odin doesn't even see that as a recognizable boot file as it is looking for a .tar file. So help! Like the previous person, I've been spoiled by Nexus products, when people post instructions for root and this first step is glossed over as if it was a given that everyone should know it I think assumes too much.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dannymac77 View Post
    I'm lost as well. CASUAL hang.s on You will need to use Odin. [Links for D/L provided] * to install the exploitable baseline located here: http://d-hst/Njj Waiting for device to return to Android after baseline flash.

I open Odin3 and browse to the BAVBaseline.tar.md5 file (under Bootloader) and click start. All I get in Message window is All threads completed. (succeed 0/ failed 0)

When I extract the boot.img file from the tar like the previous person said, Odin doesn't even see that as a recognizable boot file as it is looking for a .tar file. So help! Like the previous person, I've been spoiled by Nexus products, when people post instructions for root and this first step is glossed over as if it was a given that everyone should know it I think assumes too much.
    Do not extract . Put it in pda not bootloader
    If you are still having trouble let me know

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Turns out that I did something wrong - I was supposed to open the baseline with 7zip - never did that and that was why I was hung up. MANY many thanks to DroidXcon for his invaluable assistance!!!
    I downloaded 7zip because your computer didn't recoginze the gzip format. After that it worked.