Do you regret rooting your Note 2?

thehikingdude

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm on my third Android phone and have never rooted one before. I'm wondering if it's worth it or not. I understand it's a very personal choice. Curious if some of you regret doing it and why?

Thanks!!!

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I've rooted all 6 of my Android phones and 3 Android tablets. The phones were done for multiple reasons where the tablets were only done for one...backup. That's probably the most important thing that's missing from the stock build. Titanium backup does such a good job, I actually get mad that Google hasn't built anything into Vanilla Android yet. I also do a lot of customization beyond the ROM, updating my SystemUI etc.. so for me it's 100% worth it.

4 major things you should root for(ordered by importance to me)
1) Tether
2) Backup
3) Removing bloatware(even carrier locked bloat)
4) Custom ROMs

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted every Android phone I've had (5 devices), and my Nexus 7 tablet. I have NOT rooted my Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet...yet. :p I like flashing custom ROMs that offer customization features not available for non-rooted devices.

However...

Carbon Backup is available now for non-rooted devices, and I actually like what it offers...Google Drive backup/sync for your apps. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm going to this weekend.

FoxFi allows tethering without root. I use it and it works really well with my Note2 and N7 tablet.

Launchers like NovaPrime, Buzz Launcher, etc. in combination with customization widgets like UCCW, Zooper, Beautiful Weather, etc almost make rooting and custom ROMs no longer a requirement for me. I can customize the heck out of my device without root using combinations of any of the million different customization options all these apps offer.

The Note2 runs so well out of the box, add a third party launcher and some widgets for customizatiion, use Carbon Backup, FoxFi for tethering, and there is very little need, in my opinion, to root anymore. But I still do it anyway just because Android lets me! :D

Removing bloatware still requires root, but I really don't see this as an issue on the Note2. The device is such a beast, bloatware hardly slows it down. Simply relegate all "bloatware" apps to the app drawer, out of the way of your daily sight/use.

That's my two cents.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I've rooted all my Android devices: Thunderbolt, Note 2, Nexus 7 and Note 10.1 tablet and have no regrets. :) So far I've stuck to the stock ROM though and mainly root for the following tweaks:

1. Use AdAway with the MVPS blocking hosts file (blocks known malicious websites as well as ads) - Note: Google removed it from the Play Store, but you can get it from the dev here: ad-away - AdAway - Open source ad blocker for Android - Google Project Hosting
2. Freeze the OTA updater. Prefer to evaluate any future updates to see if worth updating or not.
3. Use full functions of backup apps (ex. MyBackup Pro)
4. Have the option of using free tethering apps on my phone with my grandfathered unlimited data (otherwise I'd have to pay for the hotspot feature; additional cost)
5. (Applies to Verizon Note 2 only) - Enable infinite scroll on home screens and app drawer. See http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...d-infinite-scroll-touch-wiz-home-screens.html

thehikingdude

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. I've already switched to Nova and various widgets to customize the look and feel to better fit my needs. Never thought much about tethering even though I do have unlimited data, maybe I should dig into that. I'm still on the fence, but now I have more things to try to help me make a final decision. Thanks!!!

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm on my third Android phone and have never rooted one before. I'm wondering if it's worth it or not. I understand it's a very personal choice. Curious if some of you regret doing it and why?

Thanks!!!

Not at all. Best decision made, should have some it sooner.

1) I prefer Titanium to Carbon for backup.
2) I prefer JellyBeansRom to stock Touchwiz
3) I prefer to remove/freeze bloat that I don't want rather than just hide in app drawer.
4) when I rooted I wanted all apps in multiwindow without having to mod individual apk files.

Rooting has taken this from best phone yet, to darn near perfect.

bakerbert

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Nope just rooted a few days ago....almost made it 10 days with out.:p

I truly enjoy seeing what the Devs can do with these awesome pieces of tech and i never feel like the phone is truly mine till it is themed the way i like it.

Also with AOKP, CM10 and a bunch of others ROMS; you can always put the latest android version on your phone with out waiting for Verizon or Samsung. (Only way to get 4.2 right now)
You might loose some of the great features that we have right now, but you get to check the new hotness and make your choice to stay with it or flash back.

TheEnema

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
As much as I want stock Jellybean 4.2. It is simply not worth rooting your Note 2 for. Nova Prime, along with an onslaught of customizing apps (Carbon backup, UCCW, Icon Packs, Minimalistic Text, Sidebar. etc. etc.) has, in several ways, made rooting redundant. And ironically enough, for UI customization, people with rooted phones are installing Nova Launcher over their stock android!

There is a lot of bias bias here, and in reality, when you root - you get:
A slightly better backup option,
And you can remove bloatware (which has absolutely no impact on the Note 2's speed, and is purely aesthetic),
And obviously you get vanilla android or a custom ROM.
I don't quite understand why people are saying tethering is a feature, as you can tether your connection with any non-rooted android.

However when you root the Note 2,

You lose Multi-Window,
You lose a lot of S-pen functionality,
You lose Samsungs 'Motion' controls,
You lose Samsungs Docking functionality,
You lose....A lot more software options that come with Touchwiz, which i can't be bothered listing.
And worst of all you risk losing your warranty and insurance. Though you can unroot it, there's a lot of other measures you have to take to ensure all traces are removed, as there has been a lot of cases where the carrier has found miniscule traces of rooting, and has denied warranty work.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site

You lose Multi-Window,
You lose....A lot more software options that come with Touchwiz, which i can't be bothered listing.

You do not lose any touchwiz functionality by simply unlocking and rooting the Note. It also does not give you vanilla/stock android. Rooting does not change anything in the software functionality, it simply gives you full "administrator" access to your phone's file system. That's it. By loading certain custom ROMS not based on Touchwiz, you may and most likely will lose touchwiz features. But there are also Touchwiz-based ROMS that keep all the features you list above.

It is also very easy to unroot your phone and return it stock, out-of-the-box conditions. And most would never know your device had been previously rooted.

TheEnema

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I worded it wrongly, but yes, I was implying "when you root/ROM the Note 2". There is absolutely no reason to root your Android and not install a custom ROM. Not even for Titanium Backup. Carbon backup is fine.
I rooted my GS2 way back, and installed ICS stock Jellybean, which was great because it was on the lacklustre Gingerbread, and it significantly boosted the speed of the GS2. However the Note 2 absolutely flies no matter what, and is very up to date with 4.1.2 Jellybean, and hence there is much less reason to root/ROM, along with my aforementioned reasons.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I worded it wrongly, but yes, I was implying "when you root/ROM the Note 2". There is absolutely no reason to root your Android and not install a custom ROM. Not even for Titanium Backup. Carbon backup is fine.
I rooted my GS2 way back, and installed ICS stock Jellybean, which was great because it was on the lacklustre Gingerbread, and it significantly boosted the speed of the GS2. However the Note 2 absolutely flies no matter what, and is very up to date with 4.1.2 Jellybean, and hence there is much less reason to root/ROM, along with my aforementioned reasons.

I hear ya...the Note2 is certainly awesome out of the box. But some folks still prefer the benefits they get from rooting. It is definitely a personal preference thing.

Sent from my SCH-I605

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site

Even before installing a custom ROM I rooted my Note 2 just to install busybox for the command line in the terminal window, and as previously mentioned all apps in multi-window.
Some people did it to remove the wifi nag and to get the wifi toggle back.

As to the OP's question, no, I do not regret rooting any of my Android devices.

TheClefCruiser

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry if this is a bad thread to ask this help on but bsed on my research, the only folks dealing with this issue are those that have "rooted". !st, I have not yet, but would if it got me somethign I needed beyond what my stock device does, BUT, none-the-less I have a booting problem- last night phone was working fine, got up this morning, and it was dead, did nothing except the led was blinking blue and about a 2hz rate, pushed the buttoms to try to "wake it up" but nothing. aabout 20 minutes later I try it again, nothing, so I drop out the batery for a few minutes then reinstall, it just goes through the verizon welcome screen mpg then chimes and starts back over at the samsung screen and repeats, I can get to the "recovery screen" cleared the cache and rebooted- no resolution, trying to not haver to factory reset, hoping for suggestions...

shethinks

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I rooted previous phones, and now my GN2. Haven't tried a custom ROM (yet) . I root for firewall, adblock, Tasker, Titanium Backup, LBE, Nandroid, etc etc

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

pmjj

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
To root or not too..... Yes it is a personal Choice and one we should have. I have rooted all my phone clear back to my Palm Web OS!, and have all 3 of my Android phones and have never regretted doing so!! I just like being able to do so and not have to worry about when the Carriers decide it is in their best interest to allow the updates to go through. I have my Note 2 rooted and have all the features still available to me that I had before I rooted. I would just love to be able to try and AOSP rom, that is the only time you would loose functions built into the Note. Stay with a TW rom and you should be fine! Now that 4.2 is coming installed on the S4 maybe it wont be long before we can try out some AOSP goodness on our phones and still have all the features that come with the note.
Yes it is a choice, I say root and enjoy!!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm sorry if this is a bad thread to ask this help on but bsed on my research, the only folks dealing with this issue are those that have "rooted". !st, I have not yet, but would if it got me somethign I needed beyond what my stock device does, BUT, none-the-less I have a booting problem- last night phone was working fine, got up this morning, and it was dead, did nothing except the led was blinking blue and about a 2hz rate, pushed the buttoms to try to "wake it up" but nothing. aabout 20 minutes later I try it again, nothing, so I drop out the batery for a few minutes then reinstall, it just goes through the verizon welcome screen mpg then chimes and starts back over at the samsung screen and repeats, I can get to the "recovery screen" cleared the cache and rebooted- no resolution, trying to not haver to factory reset, hoping for suggestions...

Was this resolved?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Lodingi

Q&A Team
Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
You lose Multi-Window,
And worst of all you risk losing your warranty and insurance. Though you can unroot it, there's a lot of other measures you have to take to ensure all traces are removed, as there has been a lot of cases where the carrier has found miniscule traces of rooting, and has denied warranty work.

This simply is not true. I am rooted, have custom roms & still have all my TW features. I also would like to point out that many TW roms actually enhance many of Samsung's TW features.

I'd also like to debunk your warranty comment. While it's true you technically void your warranty when you root, I've had no issues getting replacement devices, while rooted & unlocked when needed.

Last edited:

jsadler09

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I have no regrets about rooting. I'm running Beans 13 and have only gained functionality. I still have all the touchwiz features including s pen, all apps in multi Window, motion, and more.

I've got the no wake lag mod, per app dpi (which is awesome), great performance and battery life.

I see it as a way to make a great phone even better.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 rockin Beans 13 using Tapatalk 2

dontjinxme

May 30, 2013
Visit site
So I just rooted my first android device, the Note 8. Can I remove the bloatware on there? If so, how do I do this. If not, guess the only real reason to root it was the multi-window stuff.

Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463