1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will NOT Lock Onto GPS! Help, please!

Had to use Google Maps/navigation on my rooted Note 2 running CM 10.1 for the first time yesterday. The phone would not lock onto GPS. It would lock on briefly if I restarted Maps but then would continuously search for GPS. It was a clear day, there should have been no interference. I have two location services available under Location Access: GPS Satellites or Wi-Fi & Mobile Network Location. Both are checked. Tried checking one or the other with no different results. Tried restarting phone, no change. Anyone know of this problem and how to fix it? I really need turn-by-turn nav! Thanks much for your help!

Default Re: Will NOT Lock Onto GPS! Help, please!

Quote Originally Posted by gathome View Post
    Had to use Google Maps/navigation on my rooted Note 2 running CM 10.1 for the first time yesterday. The phone would not lock onto GPS. It would lock on briefly if I restarted Maps but then would continuously search for GPS. It was a clear day, there should have been no interference. I have two location services available under Location Access: GPS Satellites or Wi-Fi & Mobile Network Location. Both are checked. Tried checking one or the other with no different results. Tried restarting phone, no change. Anyone know of this problem and how to fix it? I really need turn-by-turn nav! Thanks much for your help!
    Load a TW rom. Get a lock. Then boot straight to recovery and restore CM. That will do it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the reply! Can you tell me where to find a TW rom? I may just sell the phone because it just too big for my hands. If I decide to sell, how would I remove all of my personal data and still keep the phone rooted? Thanks so much!

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

If you want to sell the phone and reset as "new" then this is a good guide [How to][VZW GNote2] Return to 100% Stock updated 5-12-13. The ROM is TouchWiz, and the process should remove all personal data.

If you decide to keep the phone, then try . It's what I'm using and have no issues with GPS lock.

While CM is a great ROM, there are reported issues with the International TouchWiz Note 2 ROMs working with Verizon Note 2 GPS. CM builds are usually based upon a higher Android version than TouchWiz ROMs, and may not contain all of the GPS files that the VZW Note 2 needs. Some info on the problem here

Which is why Michigan66 suggested flashing a TouchWiz ROM as it should contain the correct GPS files that the VZW Note 2 needs.
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

(Sigh........) I tried returning to stock using Odin and the Stock File on AndroidCentral site. The download through Odin went exactly as it should have according to the instructions but I now have a black screen when my phone reboots. The back and menu buttons light up but I get nothing further. I'm afraid I'm bricked. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated! I was running CyanogenMod 10.1. Is that where I went wrong???

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

If your bootloader is still unlocked, then you should be able to flash a stock ROM via custom recovery (TWRP or CM). Before flashing the ROM, wipe the cache, Davlik cache, and do a Factory Reset. Factory Reset will typically accomplish the cache wipes, and data removal, but its good to be sure.

Does the black screen stay for a long time? Sometimes it takes awhile (minutes), for the new ROM to get settled in and eventually boot up to the OS.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

It stays forever. How can I tell if the bootloader is still unlocked and how would I flash a stock ROM via TWRP or CM? I'm going to need detailed instructions...sorry! I'm pretty new at this! I will say the instructions using Odin were great and everything went exactly as it should. I have no idea what went wrong or where. If I can somehow remove all traces of CM 10, I can return it to Samsung as it is still under warranty but it still shows up in recovery mode. Thank you, again, for your help!

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

OK. The easiest way to tell if the bootloader is unlocked is if you use the Home Button + Power Key + Up Volume Key combination. All three buttons need to be pressed at the same time. Keep holding the Power Button until you see a custom recovery (TWRP or CM). Since you had some progress with Odin, its possible that the custom recovery was removed. In the event this has happened, the aforementioned key combination may not take you anywhere.

So, where is the Odin process failing? The guides for using Odin are indeed helpful. If you can pinpoint any error messages during the Odin process then perhaps I or others in the forum here can try to help further. One quick thing to try is to pull the battery out, let the phone sit for a minute or so, and then put the battery back in and power up the phone. See what that yields.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

After working with my phone for hours, I was able to return it to full stock. It's doing an OTA update as I type. I'm not happy about having all the bloatware back but at least my phone is working again. Thank you so much for your time and help! Is there an easy way to root it again? I don't need a custom rom so just using Odin and the stock image in the forum should work?

Global Posts
    961 Global Posts

Great that you got everything working. Yes, the root guide in this forum is a perfect method. There are rooted stock images you can use via Odin. If you still have a custom recovery, then could flash a rooted stock ROM that way. Good news is once your rooted, then freezing bloat is possible. Some apps can be disabled in a non root state, but likely not all of the bloat, etc.