Note 2 in the pocket?

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Before I get overly excited for the GNote 2, how does everyone feel about the overall large size of the device? Will it simply be too big to be considered a standard phone?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Will it simply be too big to be considered a standard phone?

This statement will be yours, and a lot of buyer's, biggest hurdle, if you ever think of this device as a standard phone. The Note is not a standard phone. I tell people that if you want to use, interact, and/or carry a standard phone, then the Note is NOT for you.

Samsung built the Note for people who are concerned more with productivity then form and fashion. Don't get me wrong, the device is sleek and elegant in its own right, but that's not it's primary consideration, and it can't be for the person the Note was built for.

If all you want is an exceptional smartphone then look at phones like the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy GSIII, HTC One X, or Razr MAXX. However, if you need or desire a device that's so much more than a mere smartphone, then the Note fits the needs of a fully functional and feature rich smartphone, a more than capable media consumption tablet, and the convenience and productivity of a digitized electronic notepad.

For a device like that one should not expect to carry it or use it, like a standard phone.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
This statement will be yours, and a lot of buyer's, biggest hurdle, if you ever think of this device as a standard phone. The Note is not a standard phone. I tell people that if you want to use, interact, and/or carry a standard phone, then the Note is NOT for you.

Samsung built the Note for people who are concerned more with productivity then form and fashion. Don't get me wrong, the device is sleek and elegant in its own right, but that's not it's primary consideration, and it can't be for the person the Note was built for.

If all you want is an exceptional smartphone then look at phones like the Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy GSIII, HTC One X, or Razr MAXX. However, if you need or desire a device that's so much more than a mere smartphone, then the Note fits the needs of a fully functional and feature rich smartphone, a more than capable media consumption tablet, and the convenience and productivity of a digitized electronic notepad.

For a device like that one should not expect to carry it or use it, like a standard phone.

That's how I feel now however, I do like the s-pen a lot because, for work, I have customers sign their credit card transaction on the screen with their finger. I also consume heavy amounts of data in the form of video and streaming audio.

I guess I would put myself in the undecided category as of now merely because of the size. I do have big hands however and never wear tight jeans. And, the Thunderbolt is starting to feel small to me now.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

Don't tell us, tell Samsung. Convince them to build it without telephony.

I do hope you fail (you will) and then I will, among other duties, use mine like a standard phone. And carry it with me always, just like my S3.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

I do hope you fail (you will) and then I will, among other duties, use mine like a standard phone. And carry it with me always, just like my S3.

I was initially feeling that exact same way! I like the idea of simply having the biggest phone as well as having the first quad core device. I like firsts. Plus its huge and also powerful as could be. I have never owned a Samsung mobile device before but love the feel of the GS3.

losmorob

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
My first test to see if the Note 2 was a go for me was to put a Note in my front pocket and get on my knees. My work (be nice, it's in retail sales) requires some reset work on my knees in work slacks. Works for me. Ready to jump the listing Apple ship as soon as the 2 is available.

cw0974

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I had the LG intuition, which is larger/wider than the note 2, and it wasn't that bad. I'm guessing it will be a bit better than that, so no issues for me.

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

????

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I had the LG intuition, which is larger/wider than the note 2, and it wasn't that bad. I'm guessing it will be a bit better than that, so no issues for me.

Could you definitely tell that you had a larger than normal phone in your pocket? I've never seen the note or intuition in person so its tough to get a size comparison for me.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Went to an AT&T store and tried out a Note 1 just for size and loved it. Had no problem texting with one thumb or holding it etc. I have large hands though but it felt perfect to me. I'm back on the GNote 2 train. Can't wait.

corymcnutt

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a good friend that has a Note and it fits fine in a shirt pocket (I won't buy a shirt without a pocket), but it will definitely should fit in Dockers, etc.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site

You really don't understand my comment? Reread your post. The last two sentences of the first paragraph or just the last sentence. That should help you understand my remarks.

Shuckster

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I was at best buy today and played with the original Note. If there is no real difference in size it should fit fine. I stuffed the note in there with the security piece and it worked fine.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I have large hands and I was not able to use the original Galaxy Note with one hand. Many functions require my other hand.
That's the only downside I can think of.

Okay... I'll admit that I routinely take my Galaxy Nexus to the toilet and use it with one hand... which is why I'm a little concerned
about the Galaxy Note's size. :)

DAS

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
You really don't understand my comment? Reread your post. The last two sentences of the first paragraph or just the last sentence. That should help you understand my remarks. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Samsung didn't build the device with the intent you would carry the Note 1 or 2 like a standard phone. I've had the original Note since February 19 (release date on At&t), and when carrying it I use a large belt clip pouch. When in a meeting a use it to take notes and jot ideas. When in the car, I use a bluetooth speaker headset for talking, and when jogging I had a custom armband made to accommodate the large size.

The Note is a tablet and notepad first, and a phone second. It performs each of these functions quite well, but to the person that thinks they are going to pick it up, carry it, use it, and find it as portable or pocketable as say an EVO, Razr, Nexus, or any other host of great smartphones, then they'll be highly disappointed.

My only point is that if you, or anyone, decides to get the Note you'll have to concede that it's not a standard phone, and a shift in paradigm will need to be made in how you traditionally interact with a standard phone.

Theot

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I can put my Nexus 7 in most of my pants pockets with no problem so I'm thinking the Note 2 should be fine. My draw to the note is to be able to use the tablet features on a more portable device as to be quite honest I default to my GNEX more than the N7 because the N7 is harder to hold and the GNEX is much more comfortable. So give me a device that's only roughly a 1/2" bigger corner to corner (I drew the Note 2's dims out and laid my GNEX on it) and I'm golden. I'll likely quit using my N7.

rexxman

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
I'll concede nothing to you DAS. And I don't think you have any special insight into WHY Samsung made this phone.

I am happy that you are happy with how you view and use your Note.

I will use mine just as I use my S3. With some additional functions of course.

lawmonkey13

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a RAZR M that I've been using as my daily driver though I have Gnex for work. So it will be nice to have a bigger screen for my productivity needs. I like my Nexus 7 but its not always convenient to carry, especially as a 3rd device.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums