No Multi-tasking on VZW model?

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Rumor update:

Verizon's community forum has a 'tester' talking about a test VZW model (which he has to give back within 3 days) and that it he has CONFIRMED the Samsung mutli-window/task feature is on the VZW model.

https://community.verizonwireless.co.../895179#895179

See comment about the Samsung TouchWiz multi-window/tasking feature (#542).

Hope this means AT&T get's it by then...but, for those anticipating, it's looking good for you VZW customers.

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Jelly Bean 4.1.1 Rolling out now.....

Jelly Bean 4.1.2 First of year after 4.1.1 is done rolling out

JB 4.1.2 is the Version with so called MultiTask.

Really there has been only one True Multitask, and that was on the Palm Pre. It could Multitask with no 4g and the Aphone couldn't do anything close to it. You would open a App, use it, Shrink it to a card and open many others and swipe cards to get to one you wanted and when done with one, swipe it up and it ended. None Of this Back button Crap.lol

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
@sircody - I dont see where you are getting this 4.1.2 roll out info from, either specific to VZW or not.

The back button isn't a big deal for efficiency, in my opinion.

Also, there is interesting news from AC on this, today: Android 4.1.2 update for Galaxy Note could add Nature UX, multi-window feature | Android Central
So, the question remains...will this be on the Note2 at the same time as the Note1 and S3? One would think, but given the nature of updates and carrier approval/testing...it's not exactly in the bag to happen at the same time. It does bode well for a 'soon' assumption though, along with VZW customers looking to have it upon the Note2 roll-out. But, what is 'IT'? 4.1.2? Firmware update for the multi-window/task feature itself already on the VZW model?

sircody

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Efficient how? Back button isn't programable as it should be so you can set it to exit/shut down an App. Back button doesn't Close an App if Dev didn't program it to Close with Back....not all apps have the Exit option......At least with True Multitasking you choose when to close an app fully by a simple jester or selection. Android doesn't have that feature without going into settings or adding a App to do it.
And using a Back Button is like being in a Browser without Tabs where Tabs let you go straight to a App/Task with one click...

Current Version being sent to S3 is 4.1.1.....
Below is the details of 4.1.2...
Link to Comparisons of the three Jelly Bean....4.1......4.1.2.......4.2

Android versions comparison | Comparison tables - SocialCompare
Google Android 4.1.2

Simplified operating system datasheet

Full Name: Google Android 4.1.2
Short Name: Android 4.1
Developer: Google
Codename: Jelly Bean
Release Date: October 09, 2012
Predecessor: Google Android 4.1.1 (Jelly Bean)
Characteristics
Operating System Family: Android operating systems
Operating System Kernel: Linux 3.4.0
Supported CPU Instruction Set(s): x86, ARM
Additional Details
Related Page: Android Developers
Datasheet Time: Oct 11, 12 21:55:21
Datasheet Views: 1721 views
PDAmaster: Browse all devices running "Android 4.1.2 "

Android 4.1.2 Details
Android 4.1, Jelly Bean (JB), is the fastest and smoothest version of Android yet. Jelly Bean improves on the simplicity and beauty of Android 4.0, and introduces a new Google search experience on Android.

dponte

Oct 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I understand what is in 4.1.1 and 4.1.2 and 4.2 (thusfar). I was questioning your dates of the roll-out...where did you get them from? Again, carriers are different, and devices receive these updates -within the same carrier- at different times, it seems...especially, if the S3 is getting 4.1.2 (multi-window Samsung/TW feature, as it already has the multi-task Samsung/TW feature) in December, it depends on the carrier roll-out, yet VZW is marketing this feature on their Note2 model which is due out by Nov 29th or sooner.

Why does the back button need to do this? It enables the Samsung/TW multitask, whereas the home button is used for the ICS/JB multitask screenshot (unless it's the S3 with ICS, then that is used for the Samsung/TW multitask feature instead...which should change once the new update is applied for multi-window). Then you disable it the same way, which closes the sidebar tab. You should be able to swipe away the apps, as you do with the ICS/JG multitask screenshot feature...not sure yet, how you do it with the Samsung feature.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the Sprint GN2, I manually downloaded and installed the update yesterday, and now the Multi-Window feature is working just fine. Also, there are now ten toggles in the Notification Panel pull-down, and they are scrollable horizontally (before the update there were only five).

The Android version is still 4.1.1.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Verizon version of the GN2 comes with the Multi-Window feature already installed, when it finally arrives! :cool:

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
So Snapz, the man makes a reasonable assumption which you jump him for then you go and spew all that nonsense?

Get outta town man, let's just see what comes in da box!

The Nottinator

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me if the Verizon version of the GN2 comes with the Multi-Window feature already installed, when it finally arrives! :cool:

It wouldn't surprise me, if you had absolutely no basis to say what you said here.

Heh, it DOES surprise me that you think you may have any basis for determining what would or would not surprise me.

But, yes, my comment was based solely on the chronology of the release of the international version, the Sprint version, and in several weeks the Verizon version, together with the fairly prompt updates to the international and Sprint versions to add the Multi-Window feature. I've just guessed that the Samsung production lines started churning out international units and then Sprint units before the software for Multi-Window was completely finished, but that as production moves on to the Verizon version they'll be able to include that feature out-of-the-box. I can say with 100% certainty that this outcome would not surprise me. ;)

But I confess that I did not take into account the possibility that Verizon takes a perverse pleasure in tormenting its customers.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
While Verizon is the last to the party (and always is) there would be no reason to exclude this feature given its selling point on other carriers. Verizon also is not going to rewrite they apps for on specific phone so it can use that feature which would be pointless. I mean really who actually uses VZNavigator to begin with let alone wants to be in their account while reading email. I have better things to be doing.

Not to mention if Snapz54 bothered to read the "Learn More" page on the GN2 it says this:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: Android 4.1, S Pen | Verizon Wireless

Multi-task More Than Ever Before

Take multi-tasking to a whole other level with a brilliant 5.5" screen and amazingly innovative capabilities.

* Multi Window. Divide the screen into two active "windows" creating a split screen that enables fluid multitasking between applications.
* Popup Video. Watch your favorite video and run other applications at the same time, in the same view
* Popup Browser. Open a web link without leaving what you?re doing. View a webpage and what is displayed conveniently underneath.
* Popup Notes. Open a convenient pop-up window to jot down a quick note or idea.

So is Verizon going to advertise a feature then leave it out and get sued for false advertising, they can but they have advertised it and if they don't deliver it they lose.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
While Verizon is the last to the party (and always is) there would be no reason to exclude this feature given its selling point on other carriers. Verizon also is not going to rewrite they apps for on specific phone so it can use that feature which would be pointless. I mean really who actually uses VZNavigator to begin with let alone wants to be in their account while reading email. I have better things to be doing.

Not to mention if Snapz54 bothered to read the "Learn More" page on the GN2 it says this:

Samsung Galaxy Note 2: Android 4.1, S Pen | Verizon Wireless

Multi-task More Than Ever Before

Take multi-tasking to a whole other level with a brilliant 5.5" screen and amazingly innovative capabilities.

* Multi Window. Divide the screen into two active "windows" creating a split screen that enables fluid multitasking between applications.
* Popup Video. Watch your favorite video and run other applications at the same time, in the same view
* Popup Browser. Open a web link without leaving what you?re doing. View a webpage and what is displayed conveniently underneath.
* Popup Notes. Open a convenient pop-up window to jot down a quick note or idea.

So is Verizon going to advertise a feature then leave it out and get sued for false advertising, they can but they have advertised it and if they don't deliver it they lose.

Thanks for posting this.

NHBass39

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh, so the threat of legal action keeps Verizon on the straight and narrow? Right on, you go ahead and go file a lawsuit and sue a giant multinational corporation for false advertising, see how that works out idiot.

Verizon know the people that will have a verizon GN2 are going to have it no matter what, they unnecessarily made us wait an additional month. They don't risk losing anything if they don't deliver on a promise. Also, I reiterate, they have a history of stupid sh#t like this. The Verizon page for the Droid xyboard 8.2 tablet advertised "android 4.0 ice cream sandwich" as a current feature and a selling point for a full month before they actually delivered the update recently.

For those that say the other carriers didn't ship with the update because it was pushed out too quick. That samsung pushed a quick update to fix that omission, that is entirely not how verizon works. Verizon doesn't care if a manufacturer's update is ready, they take on average an extra 6 months or so to approve updates that other carriers already have.

Again, your jaws all must hurt.
I hate that you morons as a group help determine my experience with verizon in the future. Grow some backbone.

You are reported to the mod. Raptor007 was offering advise. Thses forums are for helping people and offering opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech