Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By krbass
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    JB

Default Insurance -VZW/Best Buy?

So, I never have purchased a phone off contract before and since I will be doing just that in the near future I need to ask this question.

I assume since I am buying the Note 2 from Best Buy, I can get Verizon's insurance plan like I have now on my Razr Maxx since they are a Verizon Dealer? Or do I have to do that Geek Squad Black Tie protection from Best Buy?

ROM
    Stock

Default Re: Insurance -VZW/Best Buy?

I can't speak for buying one from Best Buy but I had VZW's insurance when I bought my Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist and I was able to keep the insurance on my line. I actually had to claim it awhile back and had no issues claiming it.

Quote Originally Posted by dedduck0121 View Post
    So, I never have purchased a phone off contract before and since I will be doing just that in the near future I need to ask this question.

I assume since I am buying the Note 2 from Best Buy, I can get Verizon's insurance plan like I have now on my Razr Maxx since they are a Verizon Dealer? Or do I have to do that Geek Squad Black Tie protection from Best Buy?
    Geek squad is optional but it's amazing, it pretty much covers everything except lost or stolen without having a deductible to get a new device. (I'm biased seeing as though I work there lol)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    JB

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy_132 View Post
    I can't speak for buying one from Best Buy but I had VZW's insurance when I bought my Galaxy Nexus off of Craigslist and I was able to keep the insurance on my line. I actually had to claim it awhile back and had no issues claiming it.
    That is good to hear! I would like to do the same when I get the Note 2.

You dont count then! j.k

I have had Best Buy's coverage before and youre right, it is pretty nice

Default Insurance -VZW/Best Buy?

Another +1 for Best Buy. My experience has been excellent with their plan. No deductible or limits on replacements.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Current Devices:
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3 - AT&T
    Motorola Moto X - unlocked GSM
    Samsung Galaxy Note 8 - LTE AT&T
    Apple iPad Mini Retina - 32GB LTE

Quote Originally Posted by Shanicenicolle View Post
    Geek squad is optional but it's amazing, it pretty much covers everything except lost or stolen without having a deductible to get a new device. (I'm biased seeing as though I work there lol)

since you work there can you confirm if you get a brand new device ? i have the black tie protection on my s3 and would like to know the answer thanks !

Global Posts
    4,851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock .4.1.1

I thought BB covered you for the full retail value and made it so you could bring it in (damaged or dead of course) and get cash towards another phone. I had a Sony digital camera years ago that had a sensor go nuts on it. Pictures printed out blue, but looked normal otherwise (it wasn't the printer). I took it in, they couldn't repair it or the cost to do so was too much so I get a full refund towards another camera which was parlayed into a Nikon D70 back then. Still have it, still works great.

Global Posts
    399 Global Posts

How much does the black tie insurance cost?

Sent from my PC36100

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    I thought BB covered you for the full retail value and made it so you could bring it in (damaged or dead of course) and get cash towards another phone. I had a Sony digital camera years ago that had a sensor go nuts on it. Pictures printed out blue, but looked normal otherwise (it wasn't the printer). I took it in, they couldn't repair it or the cost to do so was too much so I get a full refund towards another camera which was parlayed into a Nikon D70 back then. Still have it, still works great.
    yeah i have used there warranty on several ocasions just never on a phone . it seems almost to good to be true that you could get a new device instead of a refurb

Quote Originally Posted by chevyman29 View Post
    since you work there can you confirm if you get a brand new device ? i have the black tie protection on my s3 and would like to know the answer thanks !
    No you get a rapid exchange refurbished unless there isn't any in stock at the warehouse

Quote Originally Posted by blaze5 View Post
    How much does the black tie insurance cost?

Sent from my PC36100
    9.99/month or 169.98 outright for two years coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor007 View Post
    This is only if you had to get the phone repaired 3 times due to defective hardware. The mobile policy is different from our protection plans on items in the rest of the store

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

On a side note, BestBuy really bones you if you want to buy the device without contract. The picture showing the device in BB already (in another thread) listed the full price at $799.

Quote Originally Posted by ibcop View Post
    On a side note, BestBuy really bones you if you want to buy the device without contract. The picture showing the device in BB already (in another thread) listed the full price at $799.
    Yes & No.
    You are correct.
    Best Buy sells the phone at full list price if you don't do any research.
    But Best Buy will match just about any advertised price.
    Many have posted about how Best Buy matched a price as much as $150 less through Radio Shack and Amazon.com
    You can always find a price less than full list so Best Buy is a good option because of the superior insurance coverage.

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MittenSportsFan View Post
    Yes & No.
    You are correct.
    Best Buy sells the phone at full list price if you don't do any research.
    But Best Buy will match just about any advertised price.
    Many have posted about how Best Buy matched a price as much as $150 less through Radio Shack and Amazon.com
    You can always find a price less than full list so Best Buy is a good option because of the superior insurance coverage.
    True that on the price matching. But I tried to do price matching on a BB 9930. They flat out refused.

True that on the price matching. But I tried to do price matching on a BB 9930. They flat out refused.
    What was the rationale for not price matching in your case?

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

What was the rationale for not price matching in your case?
    Refused to match Amazon Wireless pricing. Straight up a holes about it too.

Refused to match Amazon Wireless pricing. Straight up a holes about it too.
    Probably a manager on some power trip. Most just verify enough to cover their butts if they are called on it. They are usually happy to give it to you.
    I believe it even lists Amazon specifically as one of the sites that it will match. That is part of the reason they price the off contract price so high. They will get the shopper that is not price sensitive to pay full price and those that are can get the price reduced by match.
    I have several Best Buys in my area so I would have gone to a different store or come when a different manager was present and have them produce the price match policy if necessary..

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Probably a manager on some power trip. Most just verify enough to cover their butts if they are called on it. They are usually happy to give it to you.
    I believe it even lists Amazon specifically as one of the sites that it will match. That is part of the reason they price the off contract price so high. They will get the shopper that is not price sensitive to pay full price and those that are can get the price reduced by match.
    I have several Best Buys in my area so I would have gone to a different store or come when a different manager was present and have them produce the price match policy if necessary..
    This happened in Savannah, GA and only one BB store there. They really suck at that store and I haven't been back to a BB since then.

This happened in Savannah, GA and only one BB store there. They really suck at that store and I haven't been back to a BB since then.
    They won't price match an outright phone unless you let them activate. Don't make any money off outright phones and price matching would result in lost money.

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

They won't price match an outright phone unless you let them activate. Don't make any money off outright phones and price matching would result in lost money.

This wasn't a purchase outright. It was to match Amazon Wireless on a 2 year contract.

This wasn't a purchase outright. It was to match Amazon Wireless on a 2 year contract.
    Ah I guess it depends when we just started price matching amazon last month

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    4,343 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Ah I guess it depends when we just started price matching amazon last month

Oh, it's been quite a while since this happened.

I tried price matching with best buy a few times with other local retailers. They always had some kind of excuse to turn down the price match. My favorite excuse was they only price match within 5 miles radius. I pulled out their price match policy and it clearly said 25 miles radius. I always had the verizon protection plan. never had any problems with it. sucks that they give your a refurb phone. not like 5-8 years ago when they replaced it with brand new phones.

I have the black tie protection on my Gnex. I have had the phone replaced 3 times from dropping and shattering the screen. Only downside is the $50 deposit for a loaner phone, it takes 2 days to get the factory refurbished replacement. I will never buy a phone anywhere else because I hate cases and I know I will drop and break it eventually. I have a feeling I will be replacing my note 2 multiple times haha.
    jvbaseball likes this.