Galaxy Note II vs HTC DNA?

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Not really.

If it didn't have the 1080p screen what's the selling point of the DNA I could care less because I know I'm getting the note 2 but imo the DNA just has a better screen and processor and camera is debateable but then what else does it have that the note 2 can't do

Sent from my PC36100

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
If it didn't have the 1080p screen what's the selling point of the DNA I could care less because I know I'm getting the note 2 but imo the DNA just has a better screen and processor and camera is debateable but then what else does it have that the note 2 can't do

Sent from my PC36100

Processor and camera are big ones, as are the design, build quality, and the size of the device. Even if it had a 720p screen it would still have all of those other things.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Processor and camera are big ones, as are the design, build quality, and the size of the device. Even if it had a 720p screen it would still have all of those other things.

You can't put size of the device because a lot of people will like the note 2 and like you said its not the same category I agree with you on design and.build quality but what can It do that note 2 can't do that's my question just because it has an s4 pro and the note 2 has the exynos 4412 in real life use you cant tell

Sent from my PC36100

CyD13

Dec 26, 2009
Visit site
Despite the more-than-slight-but-less-than-significantly better processor, the DNA has more lag than the Note 2 as far as I've heard from reviews (thank you 1080p). The camera isn't good in low light according to more than one review, and the design is faulty at best. Power button at the center top of the device? Horrible. A usb battery door? Ugh. Volume rocker flush with the side? Infuriating. Lack of menu button? There goes screen real estate. Non-removable battery with 35% LESS power than the Note 2? Lack of SD card slot and 11 gigs usable storage? Yay useless limits!

HTC Sense is visually less chaotic than TWiz, but where is HTC's solution to the true multitasking dilemma? They don't have one. In fact, they went the opposite direction and borked it with their version of the task switcher. TWiz on the other hand has popop note, popup browser, and popup video AND it has the multitasking tab ala Windows 8. Smart actions like smart stay and rotation, voice actions allowing you to capture a picture by saying a word, or snoozing the alarm by saying snooze. Hand gestures like swiping to capture a screenshot (which is WAY faster than holding the power/volume button). Really, the list goes on and on and on. I haven't even started with the S Pen yet.

Literally the ONLY way the DNA beats the Note 2 is the screen and the materials used to build it. Everything else is a sacrifice.

Last edited:

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
The DNA has more lag than the Note 2, as far as I've heard from reviews (thank you 1080p). The camera isn't good in low light according to more than one review, and the design is faulty at best. Power button at the center top of the device? Horrible. A usb battery door? Ugh. Volume rocker flush with the side? Infuriating. Lack of menu button? There goes a bit of screen real estate. Non-removable battery with 35% LESS power than the Note 2? Lack of SD card slot and 11 gigs usable storage? Yay useless limits!

HTC Sense is visually less chaotic than TWiz, but where is HTC's solution to the true multitasking dilemma? They don't have one. In fact, they went the opposite direction and borked it with their version of the task switcher. TWiz on the other hand has popop note, popup browser, and popup video AND it has the multitasking tab ala Windows 8. Smart actions like smart stay and rotation, voice actions allowing you to capture a picture by saying a word, or snoozing the alarm by saying snooze. Hand gestures like swiping to capture a screenshot (which is WAY faster than holding the power/volume button). Really, the list goes on and on and on. I haven't even started with the S Pen yet.

Literally the ONLY way the DNA beats the Note 2 is the screen and the materials used to build it. Everything else is a sacrifice.

The s4 pro is a better processor then the exynos4412 but unless you want a phone that can be benchmark king its no difference in real world usage imo maybe I'm wrong I'm not hating on the DNA I just don't see what makes this phone so much better then the screen.

Sent from my PC36100

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Despite the more-than-slight-but-less-than-significantly better processor, the DNA has more lag than the Note 2 as far as I've heard from reviews (thank you 1080p). The camera isn't good in low light according to more than one review, and the design is faulty at best. Power button at the center top of the device? Horrible. A usb battery door? Ugh. Volume rocker flush with the side? Infuriating. Lack of menu button? There goes screen real estate. Non-removable battery with 35% LESS power than the Note 2? Lack of SD card slot and 11 gigs usable storage? Yay useless limits!

The processor is significantly better. Your design criticisms are subjective. (And it sounds like you're basing your entire opinion of this device on the verges review) also, the USB flap exists because the device is waterproof/splash proof.

The menu button criticism is nonsensical. That button has been deprecated in android. If you want to get technical about it, the one in the wrong is Samsung for including one.

99% of what you listed is subjective, and much of it isn't even true. The multitasking issue? Yeah, that was fixed about six months ago and hasn't been present on any HTC handsets since then.

All of the pop up, s pen, etc stuff you mention is irrelevant, because the note is trying to be a tablet while the DNA is trying to just be a regular smartphone. They do not compete against each other.

We're going to have to agree to disagree, because EVERYTHING you posted has to do with software, which is entirely subjective.

sux2bu

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I think it's hilarious when people say they don't compete with each other. I seriously considered canceling my Note 2 preorder for the DNA. If I am seriously considering two phones, then they are indeed competing, for me. Just because they aren't in the same category doesn't mean they aren't competing.

blaze5

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
I think it's hilarious when people say they don't compete with each other. I seriously considered canceling my Note 2 preorder for the DNA. If I am seriously considering two phones, then they are indeed competing, for me. Just because they aren't in the same category doesn't mean they aren't competing.

What your saying is true but I mean they don't compete because the DNA is a smartphone and not a phablet but if I was considering the DNA like I am considering the note 2 then yes they compete against each other for me

Sent from my PC36100

elvis1935

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
What your saying is true but I mean they don't compete because the DNA is a smartphone and not a phablet but if I was considering the DNA like I am considering the note 2 then yes they compete against each other for me

Sent from my PC36100

Where does smartphone end and phablet begin? Would it not be at the 5in. Mark.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Where does smartphone end and phablet begin? Would it not be at the 5in. Mark.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

In my opinion, that line is drawn at whether or not the device has cellular abilities meaning can you bring it anywhere with you and make normal cell phone calls.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, that line is drawn at whether or not the device has cellular abilities meaning can you bring it anywhere with you and make normal cell phone calls.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Then take it up with Samsung, because they're the ones trying to turn it into a small tablet.

KSChris

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site
Phablet (\'f?b.lɪt\) also spelled Fhablet is an informal term for consumer touch-screen devices with screens that are between five and seven inches.

The first phablet was the Dell Streak released on June 4, 2010. Other notable examples include the HTC Droid DNA, Samsung Galaxy Note, the Note II, the Samsung Galaxy SIII, the HTC J Butterfly, the LG Optimus Vu and the LG Intuition.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

HTC has never (and will never) call the DNA a phablet, because it isn't one. They made it abundantly clear during the launch event that they were not trying to add tablet features to a smartphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci