Got a Flygrip

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
So i ordered the Flygrip to use for my Note 2 if it ever ships (feels like forever). It came with a free case which is extra great because thats one less expense. Since i dont have the Note 2 yet i have been using it on my my Nexus. I love this thing works great as a kick stand and i feel much more secure when holding my phone. The adhesive is removeable so i will be able to use it on the Note 2, this is something i considered before ordering this because it seems kind of expensive but when you consider you can use it on multiple phones and that you get a free phone case with it , it is a great value.

whenever i hold any phone that doesnt have a flygrip now i feel like it is going to fall out of my hand. I sound like an infomercial now. I just wanted to share my thoughts on the product because i think it will be useful when using Note2.

Here is a link to their site :Flygrip
Here is a video of the Flygrip on the note 2

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I think it would be a more attractive item without the "free" (we all know you don't get anything for free) case and at a lower price. It is cool at what it does, but I can't see paying $30 for that.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have been using it for a couple weeks on my galaxy Nexus and I feel like I can't go back to using a phone without one. In fact I want to get one for my wife I feel the price is justified but that's just my opinion.

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got a FlyGrip, arrived yesterday. So far I'm liking it a lot. While the price is a bit high, I think it is particularly suited to a big device like the GN2. With the FlyGrip on, I can securely hold the phone with my middle and ring fingertips at about the mid-point (side to side) of the phone's back. This allows my thumb on that same hand to reach fully to every corner of the screen and to all the buttons at the bottom. Full one-handed access, without risking dropping the phone. I couldn't do that before, and I have big hands. I'm planning on shooting a video of using the GN2 with the FlyGrip. I don't think the video linked above really conveys how useful it is on the GN2.

As a side bonus, the phone with the FlyGrip installed works in my ProClip car mount (which will not work with any case on the phone). There is enough space between the mount and the back of the phone for the FlyGrip to fit. Here's a link to a couple posts I made, with photos, of the ProClip mount: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/225112-oem-car-dock.html#post2329049 I love the ProClip, as it's a very clean and secure mount with custom fit for both the GN2 and my car, but I find the phone a bit slippery without any case. So for a while I was using a TPU case with knurled sides that gave me a better grip on the phone, but I had to remove it every time I got into my car. Now I don't have to use a case at all.

The FlyGrip also works fine as a kickstand in landscape mode, which can be useful for watching a video. I bought the "Large" size FlyGrip, and it will also hold the phone up in portrait mode, but only if I use the lower notch in the FlyGrip, which I understand the smaller sizes of FlyGrip may not have. The FlyGrip also fits into the $12 desk stand/charger I bought, which holds the phone up in portrait orientation.

LuvHorses

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
I just got a FlyGrip, arrived yesterday. So far I'm liking it a lot. While the price is a bit high, I think it is particularly suited to a big device like the GN2. With the FlyGrip on, I can securely hold the phone with my middle and ring fingertips at about the mid-point (side to side) of the phone's back. This allows my thumb on that same hand to reach fully to every corner of the screen and to all the buttons at the bottom. Full one-handed access, without risking dropping the phone. I couldn't do that before, and I have big hands. I'm planning on shooting a video of using the GN2 with the FlyGrip. I don't think the video linked above really conveys how useful it is on the GN2.

As a side bonus, the phone with the FlyGrip installed works in my ProClip car mount (which will not work with any case on the phone). There is enough space between the mount and the back of the phone for the FlyGrip to fit. Here's a link to a couple posts I made, with photos, of the ProClip mount: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-note-2/225112-oem-car-dock.html#post2329049 I love the ProClip, as it's a very clean and secure mount with custom fit for both the GN2 and my car, but I find the phone a bit slippery without any case. So for a while I was using a TPU case with knurled sides that gave me a better grip on the phone, but I had to remove it every time I got into my car. Now I don't have to use a case at all.

The FlyGrip also works fine as a kickstand in landscape mode, which can be useful for watching a video. I bought the "Large" size FlyGrip, and it will also hold the phone up in portrait mode, but only if I use the lower notch in the FlyGrip, which I understand the smaller sizes of FlyGrip may not have. The FlyGrip also fits into the $12 desk stand/charger I bought, which holds the phone up in portrait orientation.

Where did you place flygrip on your Note2? Am wondering if it would work better more toward middle of back?

Pictures??

Still trying to decide if I should try one of these. Return policy?

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Where did you place flygrip on your Note2? Am wondering if it would work better more toward middle of back?

Pictures??

There is a link to the site in the first post.

Bowman53

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It looks interesting, I might pick one up for my GN2 but I have to say it looks like it might be awkward when holding the phone in landscape. Can anyone who has one speak to this?

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

Pictures??

I placed mine about where it is shown in the video at the top of this thread, roughly mid-point side-to-side, and with the bottom edge of the FlyGrip just clearing the speaker on the GN2.

My opinion is that it would not work better higher up, either as a vertical kickstand or for access to the phone with your thumb.

As a vertical kickstand, if you click the free part of the FlyGrip into the top "click-in" notch, it effectively raises the lower edge of that piece, making it shorter. So when you try to stand the GN2 up vertically, it leans back too far (maybe 45 degrees) and topples over backwards. On the Large size FlyGrip there is a lower notch, which is not "click-in" so you have to kind of hold it in place as you set the phone on a table in kickstand mode. Using that lower notch lets the lower edge of that piece extend down further, so the GN2 stands a bit more upright, though still inclined, and it does not topple over. If you mounted the FlyGrip REALLY high, then maybe it would work as a kickstand in portrait mode without toppling over, but the phone would be very reclined, and I think usefulness of the FlyGrip would be diminished, discussed below.

As far as using the FlyGrip to operate the phone, look at the video. If you have your middle and ring fingers in the FlyGrip, your thumb is higher up than those fingers. That means you can more easily reach the upper part of the screen with your thumb than the lower part. If you mounted the FlyGrip any higher, you might have trouble reaching the far low corner of the screen, or the button below it. In fact, where I have mine mounted I can more easily reach the far high corner of the screen than the far low corner of the screen with my thumb. I think if I were to change the mount position at all, I might actually go lower, and to the side of the speaker, rather than higher. Right now, though, where I mounted it feels like the best location. Where it is mounted allows my little finger and index finger to also rest against the back of the phone case. If I press a bit with my little finger, it leverages the bottom of the phone closer for thumb access, and if I press a bit with my index finger, it leverages the top of the phone closer for thumb access.

I'll try to post some photos or a video soon.

Their web site says they have a 30-day money-back guarantee: FlyGrip - Warranty

brentj

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
It looks interesting, I might pick one up for my GN2 but I have to say it looks like it might be awkward when holding the phone in landscape. Can anyone who has one speak to this?

I hadn't tried this before reading your question. I guess it depends on what you want to do in landscape mode. If you want to type with both thumbs in landscape mode, then I found a way for two fingers to kind of go diagonally and catch the corners of the FlyGrip (with fingertip pads toward the back of the phone), and I can hold the phone one-handed that way, but it's not as secure as using the FlyGrip in portrait mode. If you are really typing with both thumbs, I'm not sure that the FlyGrip adds much as compared to just holding the phone with both hands as you would without the FlyGrip.

If you just want to hold it in one hand and watch a video in landscape mode, I found a way to hold it by curling my fingers back in toward my palm, then tucking two of them into the FlyGrip with fingernails toward the back of the phone. That lets me effortlessly and securely hold the phone in one hand for viewing, or for one-handed typing or operation with my other hand.

Perhaps there are some other techniques I have not yet discovered.

Bowman53

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I pulled the trigger and got one. It was either this or a case, and I already have a flip cover GN2 case I picked up for super cheap so I went with this. Very interested to see how this feels. Also, I was looking around the XDA forums, and found the code QBKING77 still works and gets you free shipping. Mine shipped out a few hours after I placed the order, which was cool.

svenEDGE

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site
Went ahead and ordered one. I can't tell I'm either gonna love it, or hate it. Got my shipping notice like 10 minutes after I ordered. Pretty cool.

Sent from my DROIDX (sold my GNex for the Note II) using Tapatalk 2

LuvHorses

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
How well does the flygrip work on the Note2? Is it only for one handed use? Can you reach all of the front of phone?

Anyone tried it on a Seidio surface case?