How Soon Until Root?

AirlinerDudeB6

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, please don't shoot me for brining up a root question...but I've been doing a lot of searching here and on XDA and haven't really found my answer.

I am a current day one Thunderbolt owner. Rooted, unlocked, and running BAMF. Loved how soon after launch it was to obtain.

I have preordered the VZW Note 2 , but I am concerned with the ease and availability of root (and only root). I want to use programs that require root, as I'm sure many other people will want (i.e Titanium Backup, adfree, root call block)

Could it be weeks or even months until a root method is obtained for us VZW folks?

I am well aware that:

• VZW has most likely required Samsung to lock the bootloader on the GN2.

• Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are two different things.

• There was a leaked unlocked bootloader for the SG3 on VZW, however this was not an actual unlock method.

• No one actually has a VZW GN2 yet

jsadler09

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Like you said, nobody has one so it's all speculation at this point. I too want root, and an unlocked bootloader. My guess is we'll have root really soon, and the bootloader may depend on another "leak". I have nothing to base this guess on, just speculating :)

AirlinerDudeB6

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Will rooting this device ruin the s pen functionality?

From what I have seen in other GN2 forums, rooting and keeping it stock (which we will have to do anyways until a leak/unlock is available) will not have any effect on the s-pen functionality since rooting will not motify TW.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Will rooting this device ruin the s pen functionality?

Rooting itself should not affect the S-Pen or the device operation. Rooting just gives you full access to the system, similar to full administrator access on a Windows PC. What will affect it would be using a third party ROM instead of the stock software that ships with the phone, something that would be equivalent to replacing the operating system on a Windows PC. Gaining root access (rooting) and replacing the stock software with a different ROM are two separate things. :)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you don't go custom ROM then you will be fine. What I am hoping for is a stock ROM that is deodexed and bloatware removed, so I can have a faster and more solid phone.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't go custom ROM then you will be fine. What I am hoping for is a stock ROM that is deodexed and bloatware removed, so I can have a faster and more solid phone.

Hopefully with wifitether and dsp.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
With root titanium backup can freeze unwanted apps. I used to move unwanted apps to a different directory. That way a simple Unix command could put them back quickly if needed.

I can live with stock with root, but ROMs give so many more and better options.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had forgotten about using root titanium (I have the pro license as well) but I like to get rid of the apps entirely for the space, albeit its very little extra space but why not.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nilsgutkowski