Ok, please don't shoot me for brining up a root question...but I've been doing a lot of searching here and on XDA and haven't really found my answer.

I am a current day one Thunderbolt owner. Rooted, unlocked, and running BAMF. Loved how soon after launch it was to obtain.

I have preordered the VZW Note 2 , but I am concerned with the ease and availability of root (and only root). I want to use programs that require root, as I'm sure many other people will want (i.e Titanium Backup, adfree, root call block)

Could it be weeks or even months until a root method is obtained for us VZW folks?

I am well aware that:

• VZW has most likely required Samsung to lock the bootloader on the GN2.

• Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are two different things.

• There was a leaked unlocked bootloader for the SG3 on VZW, however this was not an actual unlock method.

• No one actually has a VZW GN2 yet
    11-19-2012 07:26 AM
    Like you said, nobody has one so it's all speculation at this point. I too want root, and an unlocked bootloader. My guess is we'll have root really soon, and the bootloader may depend on another "leak". I have nothing to base this guess on, just speculating
    AirlinerDudeB6 likes this.
    11-19-2012 09:21 AM
    See this thread in the main Note 2 forum: Is the Note II have a root yet?

Nothing specific on the Verizon Note 2 yet, but I'm sure there will be soon.
    AirlinerDudeB6 likes this.
    11-19-2012 09:30 AM
    Will rooting this device ruin the s pen functionality?
    11-19-2012 02:28 PM
    I heard yes, But I'm sure the boys will find a way to get it to work. Hang tight....
    infmethod likes this.
    11-19-2012 02:31 PM
    From what I have seen in other GN2 forums, rooting and keeping it stock (which we will have to do anyways until a leak/unlock is available) will not have any effect on the s-pen functionality since rooting will not motify TW.
    infmethod likes this.
    11-19-2012 02:40 PM
    Rooting itself should not affect the S-Pen or the device operation. Rooting just gives you full access to the system, similar to full administrator access on a Windows PC. What will affect it would be using a third party ROM instead of the stock software that ships with the phone, something that would be equivalent to replacing the operating system on a Windows PC. Gaining root access (rooting) and replacing the stock software with a different ROM are two separate things.
    11-19-2012 02:44 PM
    That's actually what I meant. My question should've been, will the cooks be able to keep s pen function there? Haha.
    11-19-2012 04:36 PM
    This is the only reference I saw that states root breaks the s-pen.

I have not read any issues with it in forums, but the root sections for the note 2 are not very active.

Warning: S-Pen Is NOT Working after Rooting Samsung Galaxy Note 2 | Android Root, Apps, Review and Download| Android Addition
    11-19-2012 05:01 PM
    If you don't go custom ROM then you will be fine. What I am hoping for is a stock ROM that is deodexed and bloatware removed, so I can have a faster and more solid phone.
    11-20-2012 09:13 PM
    If you don't go custom ROM then you will be fine. What I am hoping for is a stock ROM that is deodexed and bloatware removed, so I can have a faster and more solid phone.
    Hopefully with wifitether and dsp.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt
    11-20-2012 09:17 PM
    With root titanium backup can freeze unwanted apps. I used to move unwanted apps to a different directory. That way a simple Unix command could put them back quickly if needed.

I can live with stock with root, but ROMs give so many more and better options.
    11-20-2012 09:32 PM
    I had forgotten about using root titanium (I have the pro license as well) but I like to get rid of the apps entirely for the space, albeit its very little extra space but why not.
    11-24-2012 12:04 PM