How Soon Until Root?

AirlinerDudeB6

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, please don't shoot me for brining up a root question...but I've been doing a lot of searching here and on XDA and haven't really found my answer.

I am a current day one Thunderbolt owner. Rooted, unlocked, and running BAMF. Loved how soon after launch it was to obtain.

I have preordered the VZW Note 2 , but I am concerned with the ease and availability of root (and only root). I want to use programs that require root, as I'm sure many other people will want (i.e Titanium Backup, adfree, root call block)

Could it be weeks or even months until a root method is obtained for us VZW folks?

I am well aware that:

• VZW has most likely required Samsung to lock the bootloader on the GN2.

• Rooting and unlocking the bootloader are two different things.

• There was a leaked unlocked bootloader for the SG3 on VZW, however this was not an actual unlock method.

• No one actually has a VZW GN2 yet

jsadler09

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Like you said, nobody has one so it's all speculation at this point. I too want root, and an unlocked bootloader. My guess is we'll have root really soon, and the bootloader may depend on another "leak". I have nothing to base this guess on, just speculating :)

AirlinerDudeB6

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Will rooting this device ruin the s pen functionality?

From what I have seen in other GN2 forums, rooting and keeping it stock (which we will have to do anyways until a leak/unlock is available) will not have any effect on the s-pen functionality since rooting will not motify TW.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Will rooting this device ruin the s pen functionality?

Rooting itself should not affect the S-Pen or the device operation. Rooting just gives you full access to the system, similar to full administrator access on a Windows PC. What will affect it would be using a third party ROM instead of the stock software that ships with the phone, something that would be equivalent to replacing the operating system on a Windows PC. Gaining root access (rooting) and replacing the stock software with a different ROM are two separate things. :)

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
If you don't go custom ROM then you will be fine. What I am hoping for is a stock ROM that is deodexed and bloatware removed, so I can have a faster and more solid phone.

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
If you don't go custom ROM then you will be fine. What I am hoping for is a stock ROM that is deodexed and bloatware removed, so I can have a faster and more solid phone.

Hopefully with wifitether and dsp.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
With root titanium backup can freeze unwanted apps. I used to move unwanted apps to a different directory. That way a simple Unix command could put them back quickly if needed.

I can live with stock with root, but ROMs give so many more and better options.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I had forgotten about using root titanium (I have the pro license as well) but I like to get rid of the apps entirely for the space, albeit its very little extra space but why not.