Adding a line???

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I posted this a couple of weeks ago on the Verizon forum here and had many looks but no answers. I thought I would post it here to see if anyone that reads this forum knows the answer.

"For those of you that have done this to save your unlimited how much is the actual cost? I know it is $9.99 to add the line but what about misc charges like Tax, 911, Usage fee... What does it the cost actually end up being? $11, $13 or even $15 a month? $240 (10 a month) vs $360 (15 a month) is a big difference over a 2 year plan.

Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums "

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I added a basic line for my girlfriend a few months ago. I originally had my single line personal plan with unlimited data and it was $100.69 per month. Once I added the other line, I had to move to a family share plan which bumped up the amount of minutes and thats it. It is $80 for the lowest family share plan and then each line has to pay $9.99 per month to access that plan and then I pay the $30 per month data package charge. So my monthly bill is $129.97 before taxes and with tax it has been $149.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

Last edited:

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
So if I read correctly... You are paying about $20 in taxes for you 2 lines. That means the 2nd line is running $9.99 + $10 in taxes and misc chgs. That makes that additional line $20 a month for $480 over the life of the contract, right?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
So if I read correctly... You are paying about $20 in taxes for you 2 lines. That means the 2nd line is running $9.99 + $10 in taxes and misc chgs. That makes that additional line $20 a month for $480 over the life of the contract, right?

You are correct. Adding just that extra line, had I already been on the family share plan, would only cost about $20 per month with access and taxes.

Sent from AOSP Thundershed powered 4GLTE Thunderbolt

ibcop

Trusted Member
Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, people think it's just $9.99 a month to add a line (even the Verizon reps will tell you this), but won't they don't say is the taxes and fees that are added on. Adding a line to get the subsidized price doesn't make sense to me once you factor in the true cost of adding a line (times 24 months), the $30 upgrade fee, plus the device cost - you come out over buying outright.

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! This is what I wanted to confirm. I want the Note 2 but have to buy outright. It is actually less expensive to do that then adding a new line...
$699 (outright) vs. $480 ($20x24 months)+$299+$30=$809 (adding a line w/ a new 2 year contract).

Bowman53

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thank you! This is what I wanted to confirm. I want the Note 2 but have to buy outright. It is actually less expensive to do that then adding a new line...
$699 (outright) vs. $480 ($20x24 months)+$299+$30=$809 (adding a line w/ a new 2 year contract).

Yep. I figured the same, I paid 750ish for the Note 2 vs the $800 it would cost to add a new line in the long run.

infmethod

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
I got a question about this.... So I just got married not too long ago and want to add my wife to my business account. I purchased the Note 2 as my 6th line. Going to put that onto my line and I also purchased her a Verizon iPhone 4 for when I port over her number from AT&T. Do I have a time limit to port her number over from AT&T? I feel like I should be fine since there will be a phone on that 6th line throw away number, it's under contract and should be good to go. Anyone have any experience with this process? Appreciate the help.

nlitenme

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I got a question about this.... So I just got married not too long ago and want to add my wife to my business account. I purchased the Note 2 as my 6th line. Going to put that onto my line and I also purchased her a Verizon iPhone 4 for when I port over her number from AT&T. Do I have a time limit to port her number over from AT&T? I feel like I should be fine since there will be a phone on that 6th line throw away number, it's under contract and should be good to go. Anyone have any experience with this process? Appreciate the help.

Just make sure you port her number BEFORE you cancel the AT&T service. If not, you'll most likely lose that number permanently.

If you/she has no intention on keeping service with AT&T any longer, the porting action should actually cancel the service for you as you cannot have service without a number.